internship and step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guttata

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow interns - Six months down, six months to go. How is your optho appreciation year going? Any funny stories?

How are you studying for Step 3? Is much studying required? I think I have a good grasp on the basics. Does Step 3 matter for fellowship placement?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I like to think of it as 6 months down, 6 months- vacation to go :laugh: . I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I was planning to study 1-2 months using "Crush Step 3", sample q's from NBME +/- Q bank (I really don't want to resort to this one). What do you guys think of this plan? It is probably enough to pass, but if the score matters for fellowship placement I may have to rethink that. Lets have a discussion about this.

What's the rule again?

2 months for Step I
2 weeks for Step II
2 pencils for Step III?

I studied from mainly review questions for Step III over 2-3 weeks during internship. I scored above the mean without trouble.

Don't worry about Step III. All you need to do is pass.

Most fellowships do not look at Step III. They'll consider your OKAP (Ophthalmic Knowledge Assessment Program) scores before they'll even look at the USMLE scores.