Internship 2011/2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miscalculated

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After finally finishing the MD/PhD program, I'm starting Internship next month (first rotation Endo). Who else is starting residency and how are you all feeling about it?

Excited/nervous/freaking out?

Share your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

After finally finishing the MD/PhD program, I'm starting Internship next month (first rotation Endo). Who else is starting residency and how are you all feeling about it?

Share your thoughts!

What did you match into? Sounds like internal med, but you never know!
I'm doing family med here. Are you having nightmares yet?

So far, I've had a nightmare where I was starting high school over again, and this morning I awoke thinking that I had slept through the second day of internship and the first day of early AM inpatient rounds!:scared:

Hey,

I matched into an academic medicine program (clinical component is IM + critical care, research is pulmonary hypertension).

No nightmares yet lol, just really excited. Anticipating what my team is going to be like etc. We have an induction week and a meet & greet/social with the other interns that i'm looking forward to. Meanwhile I'm reading up on the advice for new interns and a lot of it seems to be about getting the nurses on side. Some great advice on those threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Share your thoughts!

Ready to destroy intern year. 6 months of jerk off rotations and doing nothing has got me itching. Literally cannot wait to start...in a full week of clinic. I don't care. I need to get started already.

Obviously this viewpoint is going to change in about 3 months, then I will likely be craving fourth year's schedule. But for now, ready to rock

Ready to destroy intern year. 6 months of jerk off rotations and doing nothing has got me itching. Literally cannot wait to start...in a full week of clinic. I don't care. I need to get started already.

Obviously this viewpoint is going to change in about 3 months, then I will likely be craving fourth year's schedule. But for now, ready to rock

Yeah man I hear you. I can't freaking wait either. Those punches and me are gonna roll :D

What did you match into?

Don't know if I totally agree, but I notice that I've been totally ADHD lately, needing something to do that is as addicting as the learning curve in medicine...also the paycheck again will be nice!
However, I am so dreading waking up at evil o'clock in the morning again!

Don't know if I totally agree, but I notice that I've been totally ADHD lately, needing something to do that is as addicting as the learning curve in medicine...also the paycheck again will be nice!
However, I am so dreading waking up at evil o'clock in the morning again!

:thumbup:

I can't wait either. I'm also starting to get a little nervous.
Dude, you should use your real name on Twitter. Else, nice account.

Last edited:
Another nightmare last night: I mistook my alarm clock this morning for a pager that I don't even have yet! One more day of relaxing before "pre-orientation" begins. While I am enjoying the free time and the ability to run at the state park every day, I also picked up my medical training license today:love:
Oh yeah, I'm a big old dork!

does anyone else have that feeling we should have turned around long ago, and that just might be the event horizon in the distance over there?:scared:

does anyone else have that feeling we should have turned around long ago, and that just might be the event horizon in the distance over there?:scared:

1st day is what unnerves me more than anything else.

However, I HATE it when people patronize me. Especially friends. "Dude, once you get to your first day, you're gonna cry, because I sure as hell did." No, b!tch, I'm not a b!tch.

It also helps a little that I had to carry a **** ton of pts depending on service. I'm more nervous over the unfamiliarity of the hospital system. Never rotated here, and it's going to take some time getting the hang of EMR, nursing, pharmacy, techs, upper levels, and finally... attendings.

Started internship today, brought up a patient's anemia and was OK'ing orders w/attending literally 2 minutes before the cardiology NP popped her head out of the patient's room and asked about patient's anemia..

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night"
~Bette Davis

Started internship today, brought up a patient's anemia and was OK'ing orders w/attending literally 2 minutes before the cardiology NP popped her head out of the patient's room and asked about patient's anemia..

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night"
~Bette Davis

...So you've gotten all your fun fun pre-orientation and orientation out of the way, or did they just throw you to the wolves?