Interns - how's it going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amdap

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an intern, I am already starting to lose steam 3 months into residency. It's getting kind of tough and mundane to get up each morning and get to work. Once I get there, I get excited about everything that's going on in the hospital - and I put 100% into my work - but then I can't wait to get home, and in the evening, I dread going to work the next day. I am not sure if this is "normal" feeling for an intern.

I have also made lots of mistakes. We are lucky at our hospital in that there are checks/balances for most of what interns do. But I have written a couple prescriptions that were incorrect, and I've hesitated on decisions that could affect patient outcome (at least affect their comfort and well-being.) With each mistake I make, I get more and more uncomfortable about returning to the hospital the next day.

The worst part is, my toughest rotations are yet to come. It seems impossible that by this time next year I will be senioring rotations. I do love my program, though, and I am glad I matched here.

Wondering what others thought.

Members don't see this ad.