International Study Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1069833

Hey all,

Currently a final year undergrad student here in Oz and was looking at applying for international unis (for various reasons). I'm not too keen on going to the UK because of Brexit (I have no idea how this will affect international grads) so I was looking mainly at Ireland. However, I am not too sure about some things and would like to know more before actually making a choice.

1. How hard is it to find an internship as an international student (I haven't got an EU citizenship)? I've heard the system is a 'hot mess' (as described by someone on pagingdr) Current plan if I go there is to do a year of interning and then returning to Aus for residency.
2. What's the cost of living like there?
3. How have you guys funded tuition. I've done the calculations and I would have to pay (at the maximum of AUD$80,000 per year, give or take a few hundred)
4. Following on from that, exactly how much does Limerick and UCD cost? I've found the fees for RCSI, and UCC but no info anywhere on Limerick and UCD.
5. If you have gone to study there, how was it? Did the university provide good student support?
6. Is it possible for me to get a permanent residency while I'm studying? I think that would make me a domestic student and would greatly improve my chances of an intern spot.

I've also been looking at Saint George's in Nicosia, Cyprus. It's a UK-based degree but it's cheaper than Ireland so I'm thinking about putting in an application. Much like Ireland, if I went there, I would ideally only spend a year as an intern before trying to move back to Aus for residency.

Would you guys recommend just staying here in Aus and trying to improve my GAMSAT (our equivalent of the MCAT)? I'm pretty much sick of it at this point as the scores required are much higher here than those for Irish unis and SGU. I've been thinking of walking away altogether for a while now but the alternative (research) isn't looking too attractive.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly recommend retaking the GAMSAT as you'll have to take MCAT otherwise which is even harder. You can follow the rcsi_irl page on instagram as they often tag students and graduates and ask them directly about how it is especially if they're some of the people who did internships in Ireland. Also, you should post this in the Australia forum instead because the people there know better what hurdles you may face in trying to work in Australia and I saw some threads about the licensing process for foreign medical graduates