International students who have taken a research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for international students on an F1 visa to take a research year midway through med school, say between second and third year? If anyone has done this, I would love to get some insights on what the procedure is like in terms of immigration status and applications and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Your student affairs dean should be able to direct you to resources at your school.
+1

I would talk to people in immigration, see if they can get you something where it counts as credits and you could do CPT. Just note if you end up doing this for a whole year for example, you're no longer eligible for OPT. It might be better to do a research year after med school since it'll be easier to get OPT

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering about this too, as I do not see a viable visa option for a research year in the middle of medical school. It looks like CPT is more for like a short summer experience or something that is longer but is integrated into the curriculum itself. Doing a research year after med school defeats the purpose as many people are trying to do a research year to get into competitive residency programs before graduation, just like our peers who are US citizens. I talked to some immigration lawyers but most of them are clueless about the unique situation with med students and the research year. Really want to hear what people in similar situations have done. Thanks a lot.

I am wondering about this too, as I do not see a viable visa option for a research year in the middle of medical school. It looks like CPT is more for like a short summer experience or something that is longer but is integrated into the curriculum itself. Doing a research year after med school defeats the purpose as many people are trying to do a research year to get into competitive residency programs before graduation, just like our peers who are US citizens. I talked to some immigration lawyers but most of them are clueless about the unique situation with med students and the research year. Really want to hear what people in similar situations have done. Thanks a lot.
I believe you're allowed to do part time CPT (working in faculty's lab during the year) during med school since part time CPT doesn't count against OPT not sure about summers and whole year. I'm pretty sure that would be taking all your CPT early which makes you not viable for OPT which I don't think will be a good idea. Tho a lot of people do end up taking a research year after med school to be more competitive for competitive residencies so it's not the worst option

Hi everyone, I've been in touch with my office of student affairs but they haven't been able to give me too much information. Was wondering if anyone here has learned anything more about the process for taking a research year as an international student on an F1?

The best plan is to do the research year on your F visa. To do this, you need to remain enrolled at your school. Some schools will allow this -- they keep you enrolled (i.e. not on an LOA), your transcript will be designated as Research for that period. There usually is no tuition, although they may still have you pay fees and for health insurance etc. MD/PhD students can be on F visas, so it is possible. Your school needs to agree to it (and have the infrastruture to support it). You will almost certainly need to do the research at the school. Whether you can get paid or not is a complex topic you need to review with your visa office. The visa office is whom you need to speak to.

Reactions: 1 user