International Students - how many of you have to take the NBME before taking STEP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NBMEBoi

Reaction score
Hello

I graduated from a university in central europe. our school requires that we take, and pass @ 72%, an NBME exam that is proctored at the prometric center.

My questions for you guys are the following:

1) do any other international students have to do this?

2) do the NBME exams that are administered at the prometric center brand new exams every time, or are they repeated? I know it sounds like a stupid question, sorry.

3) it seems like the NBME questions and STEP1 / First Aid questions are pretty different. Is there a specific way to study for the NBME vs. STEP1?

Thanks to everyone in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes we have to do it before the school will release us to USMLE scheduling
2) Overthinking it, unless you are trying to drudge-up old questions from seniors in which case I'd say, bro...
3) Yes very different, find the salient point they want you to know from the question and move on, try not to get to bogged down with learning "question types" just learn the material

1) Yes, most do
2) Likely reused or with randomized questions
3) You're prioritizing things wrongly if you focus on the NBME and not the actual STEP.