international student residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alikarimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im an american citizen but I have completed by dental school in the U.K. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how I could apply to american residency programs?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
The system in usa is very competitive and complicated.any non accreteded dental school students have to go throw 2 years in the acrredeted dental school.even tho u graduated in british that meant u have to go 2 more years in any american or canadian dental school to do residency or to practice in usa.
But im surprise from u that as i know dentist in british much much better that usa .....why u need to leave british????
good luck:laugh::laugh:

Hi,
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that an international doctor could still apply for residency programs in the US/Canada once the appropriate exams were taken?

Hi,
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that an international doctor could still apply for residency programs in the US/Canada once the appropriate exams were taken?

you can still apply, but many hospital based programs take GME money which will only pay for ADA CODA approved programs.... others in dental schools and some outside of schools will possibly take you - Eastman is a good example, Carolinas may be good - they have a close tie with UK programs.