International Student Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjh000707

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm an Asian international student and I applied to about 27 MD schools in June 2023, and submitted my secondaries July-August 2023. I still haven't gotten any good news other than a handful of rejections and 2-3 interview waitlists. No actual interview invite yet. I'm starting to get a little worried because I know interview invites end around Feb-March. My adviser told me that my application is pretty strong and the only thing holding me back currently is the fact that I'm an international student. I went to high school and college (UCLA) in the US and my green card is expected to come out next year or so, but no solidified date, so I couldn't mention that in my application.

My stats:
GPA: 3.76 (Science: 3.8)
MCAT: 518

What are the experiences of international students in general this cycle, and what should I expect? My adviser told me that updating my green card status once it's confirmed would be the only thing left in my control as that's the only setback, but I was wondering if I just need to wait or I should be worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To clarify, the schools that I applied to were schools that accept internationals and actually have a record of accepting internationals each year or so.

The application is more than just GPA and an MCAT score. Please reply back with the information highlighted in this example template:

It is incredibly difficult for international students (non-Canadians) to gain admission to a US medical school. Of the schools that show more than 1-2 international acceptances on MSAR, most are usually very competitive research powerhouses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The application is more than just GPA and an MCAT score. Please reply back with the information highlighted in this example template:

It is incredibly difficult for international students (non-Canadians) to gain admission to a US medical school. Of the schools that show more than 1-2 international acceptances on MSAR, most are usually very competitive research powerhouses.
What is the difference between Canadians and Non-Canadians?

What is the difference between Canadians and Non-Canadians?
Some schools, particularly those along the border like Wayne State, will take a decent number of Canadians but not other international students. It is still an uphill battle for Canadians applicants to get into US medical schools and they will generally need high stats.

Reactions: 2 users
Some schools, particularly those along the border like Wayne State, will take a decent number of Canadians but not other international students. It is still an uphill battle for Canadians applicants to get into US medical schools and they will generally need high stats.
Thanks!

You are classified as an ORM. Therefore, your stats must be above all applicants in order for the ADCOM to look at your app. With only your MCAT and GPA, I want to say it is pretty common for an ORM, especially an Asian ORM. You may want to wait until you have your green card before you reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is international status.
When you have a green card, you will be on the same footing as all other applicants.
A projected date for its issuance will have have little effect as we have seen such dates be extended for years (sometimes even decades).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

I'm an Asian international student and I applied to about 27 MD schools in June 2023, and submitted my secondaries July-August 2023. I still haven't gotten any good news other than a handful of rejections and 2-3 interview waitlists. No actual interview invite yet. I'm starting to get a little worried because I know interview invites end around Feb-March. My adviser told me that my application is pretty strong and the only thing holding me back currently is the fact that I'm an international student. I went to high school and college (UCLA) in the US and my green card is expected to come out next year or so, but no solidified date, so I couldn't mention that in my application.

My stats:
GPA: 3.76 (Science: 3.8)
MCAT: 518

What are the experiences of international students in general this cycle, and what should I expect? My adviser told me that updating my green card status once it's confirmed would be the only thing left in my control as that's the only setback, but I was wondering if I just need to wait or I should be worried.
I agree that your international status is probably a major factor. However, the schools you applied to vis a vis your qualifications also matter so that WAMC form would be very helpful.