International Student loans for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kristin1

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am applying for dental school for the Fall 2018 and I am in US with a student visa. I am not sure how the loan process works. Has anyone dealt with it before? I would truly appreciate it if anyone can share some information. I have a cosigner that will cosign for me, but since I am only eligible for private loans I am not sure if the banks would give me as much as the dental school costs, because dental schools are expensive in general. Please if anyone has gone through the same thing or has some information I would appreciate it a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

EQUALLY INTERESTED!!! I'm living in Canada right now but I'm a Chinese citizen. I will be applying for fall entry in 2018. The amount of student debt dental students go through is really scary... I would really appreciate anyone who has been through similar situations to share their thoughts! Thank you guys!

Hello everyone,
I am applying for dental school for the Fall 2018 and I am in the US with a student visa. I am not sure how the loan process works. Has anyone dealt with it before? I would truly appreciate it if anyone can share some information. I have a cosigner that will cosign for me, but since I am only eligible for private loans I am not sure if the banks would give me as much as the dental school costs, because dental schools are expensive in general. Please if anyone has gone through the same thing or has some information I would appreciate it a lot.

Okay, be ready to budget all the time. Dental school is very expensive. I go to Umaryland Dental, the public and the well known oldest dental school in the world. But even then, the education is still expensive, not as much as for private institutions like Upenn or Colombia. I am here as an international student, got a great cosigner with great credit score to get a low interest rate less then 7% (FIXED, since US is not stable with economy) and even government loan is about 7% or more and unsubsidized. So, you need to make sure that the co-signer is ready to take you on for the next four years with a good bank. I use discover, not Salle Mae (since I heard about horror stories). Discover pays you 1% of term cost for good grade, GPA 3 or higher of if you pass all of the classes. This bank covers all of the education cost including living cost, rents or foods after school sends you money after taking away tuition and fees. So, I am expected to have around 90k - 85K per year in debt for everything. So, 4 years will be about 400K when I graduate. So, do not be surprised by the number. Just make sure to have good apartment and save as much as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, be ready to budget all the time. Dental school is very expensive. I go to Umaryland Dental, the public and the well known oldest dental school in the world. But even then, the education is still expensive, not as much as for private institutions like Upenn or Colombia. I am here as an international student, got a great cosigner with great credit score to get a low interest rate less then 7% (FIXED, since US is not stable with economy) and even government loan is about 7% or more and unsubsidized. So, you need to make sure that the co-signer is ready to take you on for the next four years with a good bank. I use discover, not Salle Mae (since I heard about horror stories). Discover pays you 1% of term cost for good grade, GPA 3 or higher of if you pass all of the classes. This bank covers all of the education cost including living cost, rents or foods after school sends you money after taking away tuition and fees. So, I am expected to have around 90k - 85K per year in debt for everything. So, 4 years will be about 400K when I graduate. So, do not be surprised by the number. Just make sure to have good apartment and save as much as you can.
How did you apply?

How did you apply?
Go to Discover or any other student loan companies and then fill out their applications and make sure your co-signer can submit all of the information after you fill in your portion.

I really needed this, So how early should you get a private loan. In what stage of your application process, or should you wait till you have been admitted before searching for one and a co-signer?

I really needed this, So how early should you get a private loan. In what stage of your application process, or should you wait till you have been admitted before searching for one and a co-signer?
You need to know how you are going to pay for school before applying, ideally even before taking boards. You don't want to waste all your efforts and realize you don't have access to a quarter mil

Reactions: 1 user