[International student] Landing a job as a dentist after obtaining degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristykrusher

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a Chinese citizen and I completed my Bachelor's in Anatomy and Cell Biology from McGill University in Canada. I am looking into applying for US dental schools, but I just have questions about landing a job in the States after graduation. Please share some of your insights if you are in the same boat or if you've been through this! Help is greatly appreciated!

- Can we apply for the OPT/CPT program to remain in the USA for at least a year after graduation?
- As of right now, dentistry has not been included in the STEM category right? (As ironic as it sounds)
- What types of jobs do international students who are trained in American dental school usually land on post graduation? Do they typically work for a clinic?
- How do you guys handle all of the loans from dental school? (I'm expected to pay for my entire tuition and living expenses)

Thank you guys in advance! Any help will be great!

Members don't see this ad.

If your intentions are to get a green card, then you don't have to go to dental school at all. Get a job as a biologist.
If you want to be a dentist and stay, then you should know, that graduating from an US school, most of which are accredited gives you an opportunity to be licenses to work in both US and Canada as a dentist
Is you are not a permanent resident of the US, you are not eligible for the financial aid
I still believe it is easier for you to apply for a PR status in Canada, immigration laws there are much milder

If your intentions are to get a green card, then you don't have to go to dental school at all. Get a job as a biologist.
If you want to be a dentist and stay, then you should know, that graduating from an US school, most of which are accredited gives you an opportunity to be licenses to work in both US and Canada as a dentist
Is you are not a permanent resident of the US, you are not eligible for the financial aid
I still believe it is easier for you to apply for a PR status in Canada, immigration laws there are much milder

Thanks for your reply! And yes I would like to work in either the States or Canada after graduation. Not necessarily aiming for the green card now because I really do want to be a dentist. But I guess I was more interested in how the process will go post dental school, should I apply for an OPT first then get a job offer that is willing to sponsor me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! And yes I would like to work in either the States or Canada after graduation. Not necessarily aiming for the green card now because I really do want to be a dentist. But I guess I was more interested in how the process will go post dental school, should I apply for an OPT first then get a job offer that is willing to sponsor me?
I am not sure what the rules are in Canada, but in some states in order to get licensed one has to be legally in the states, PR or citizen. Why don't you visit the CDA and ADA websites