International Rotation in Moshi, Tanzania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaizeandBlue

Go Blue!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am currently a 4th year US Medical student that will be working at Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre in Moshi, Tanzania this April.

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who has also worked in Tanzania, and can help give recommendations/advice as to 1) Working @ KCMC and 2) Traveling/touring Tanzania on days off.

Thank you in advance for any replies! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!!!! Better late than never, right? I don't have any experience working at KCMC, but I'm currently a Peace Corps Volunteer living in a village about 8 hours from Moshi (give or take a few flat tires and other general bus malfunctions). I've been in Tanzania almost 11 months. You are so lucky--Moshi is an AMAZING city.

I don't have any advice about KCMC specifically but as far as Moshi goes I highly recommend the Union Cafe, and if you're a meat eater, you have to try the all-you-can-eat meat place. I know it sounds gross, but it was the best Thanksgiving of my life. (Well, that might be an exaggeration, but it was a ton of fun.)

As for traveling TZ on your time off, my recommendation is to NOT stay in the cities. Get yourself out into the bush and see how real Tanzanians live. Moshi is basically America compared to most villages. I know a few friends from my village who've gone to KCMC so it would probably be helpful for you to understand where they come from.

Related to general Tanzania health issues--I would love to discuss the Loliondo situation with you, I'm curious what KCMC's official stance on it. (Cliffnotes for those who don't live in Tanzania, I'm not sure it's made international news: an old church leader in North TZ had a dream where he was told how to make a "cure" for AIDS, diabetes, and pretty much everything else. But you have to go to his particular village to get it. The road is a mess and people are leaving hospitals in critical condition to get their hands on this magic drug. Lots of them are dying in the process. I personally know three people who have died either in transit to Loliondo or after coming home. It's a mess.)

Other random advice... Mtei is the my favorite bus line. Avoid Air Jordan at all costs. That's one terrifying bus.

PM me if you're interested in chatting more in detail. From your name it looks like you're from Michigan? That's my home state! we should obviously be friends.