International Real Estate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redfish955

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone investing internationally? Taking advantage of a strong dollar and a down economy at a tourism hot spot?

Members don't see this ad.

I tend to have about 15 or 20% of my equity allocation invested internationally of which some small portion is likely related to real estate

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like my 403bs, Roth IRAs, 457, and 529s are around 28% international stocks. Might be a few percent too high. Will probably even out as I just opened the 457 plan a few months back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it's good to have a diverse portfolio when you retire but it is also good to be aggressive and buy low when your young even if your investments aren't as balanced as you would like them to be when you retire one day. You can still build a diverse portfolio while investing in down markets and when you get older you can always diversify more.

I mean, it's good to have a diverse portfolio when you retire but it is also good to be aggressive and buy low when your young even if your investments aren't as balanced as you would like them to be when you retire one day. You can still build a diverse portfolio while investing in down markets and when you get older you can always diversify more.

if you are trying to directly invest in international real estate, that's a level of risk I'm not totally comfortable with. Might want to research property rights as a foreign citizen in whatever country as it's not exactly like buying property as a US citizen in the US. Investing indirectly is probably far safer.

if you are trying to directly invest in international real estate, that's a level of risk I'm not totally comfortable with. Might want to research property rights as a foreign citizen in whatever country as it's not exactly like buying property as a US citizen in the US. Investing indirectly is probably far safer.
You can still find group funds being managed by ivy league economists that will know what neighborhoods to buy and invest in. You can also get a super sweet deal on something like a Mediterranean vacation home that you rent out a lot of the year.

You can still find group funds being managed by ivy league economists that will know what neighborhoods to buy and invest in. You can also get a super sweet deal on something like a Mediterranean vacation home that you rent out a lot of the year.

and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Those "ivy league economists" managing funds only really care about getting their 1-2% fee from your money. They don't particularly care what your returns are long term. That's why they went to the Ivy League, to find out how to make themselves rich.

edit: Also worth pointing out that purchasing a 2nd home as a unit to rent out and provide an income stream to you is something that can be a reasonably good idea given the right circumstances. It is definitely not "passive" income, though, and can require a good amount of time and/or money to keep running. Trying to pull that off internationally? You might as well just kiss any hope of profit good bye. If the rental income was that nice, someone in that country already would've snapped it up from anybody selling.

Last edited:

You are guaranteed to lose money with that approach. Good luck

Hey I started trading recently as a resident and Ive been making money so far. Don't want to brag as I don't have that much of a portfolio to brag about. But indeed my goal is to transition out of medicine at some point and go into business. I do wonder since the $$ goes further in many countries , how feasible would it be to start/buy a private practice somewhere in Europe? I'd really like to be my own boss and use my medicine knowledge as a hobby and not as a way to pay my bills by working 80hrs a week. Let's say I accumulate $1mln cash in investment capital?

There is a reason physicians come to the US from other countries to practice and not the other way around.

In my opinion, I loved going to Italy, and probably will love going to many other countries. They aren't home.

There is a reason physicians come to the US from other countries to practice and not the other way around.

In my opinion, I loved going to Italy, and probably will love going to many other countries. They aren't home.

But those are people with no money who think that a $50k resident salary equals success. In all those countries including Italy there are business owners who compete with govt clinics and do well. What stops u from buying a clinic, MRI magnet, and having local drs work for u? Assuming u have some cash?

Otherwise I do not see any point in investing in real estate in Europe. I don't think their taxes or yield on rental property is better than in USA... And if you're going to borrow $$, you are getting easier credit in usa since u actually work here. So if you're going to invest abroad, I think it needs to be something better than real estate