International DO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettymean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Canadian DO student. I am very worried about doing residency in the US. Is there anyone who is a Canadian or international DO students or residents that can shed some light on how an international DO students can get residency in the US?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't believe you can match into a US program. If I am not mistaken, the Canadian Schools of Osteopathy are similar to British Schools of osteopathy. Essentially they only teach musculoskeletal manipulation. Course schedules that I have seen are very similar to US Chiropractic colleges. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm almost certain.

If you are a Canadian student at a US DO school you should have no problems... process is very similar to that of a Canadian student at a US MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
moo or anyone that knows the process, can you please elaborate on how a Canadian in a US DO school can get residency?

Thanks

If you're a Canadian in a US program, it would work the same regardless of whether you attend a US MD program, or a US DO program. It's not that big a deal. People do it all the time. The only thing you may want to consider, however, is where you want to practice. There are places in Canada that will not allow full practice rights for osteopathic physicians. This is changing, but it's still something to think about. If you plan to practice in the states, then you should have no worries.

Can someone please tell me EXACTLY how the process works for international DO students to get US residency?

Thanks

What are you so worried about??

You apply through the national residency match program, or the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) if applying to an allopathic residency. If you really want this info do a freakin yahoo search, or better yet, go to the AOA or AMA website. www.aoa-net.org

Again, if you are a graduate of a US school, you do NOT have to go through anything different than someone born right in the middle of New York City. Regardless of what country you are from.

Obviously ignorance is a bliss. I just called ECFMG today and found out that I have to apply through them to get a J 1 Visa. And for that, I need to take USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 as well as CSA. On top of that, I need to get a "Statement of Need" from Canadian Ministry of Health, for which I have to pass MCCEE to get. Does that sound like someone that's born in the middle of New York City has to go through?

Well what do you know.....someone did their own research. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Obviously, I'm not from Canada. I didn't think you would have to go through all that. Oops. Sucks for you!! Good luck anyway!

Why did you call the ECFMG? They have nothing to do with this. You are NOT considered a foreign grad if you graduate from a US DO school. YOu go through them only if you graduated from a caribbean school. Basically all you do isdo the match thing that MD students do. (You probably have to do a year of osteo internship, not sure how that goes, maybe the DO students here can help with that) Then when you match, the program issues you some sort of visa (not sure which one) and then you are a resident. That's it.

If I will apply for the J 1 Visa, I then will have to go through ECFMG since they are in charge of J 1 and even a US DO school is listed in the WHO directory. But it seems that I can do my residency on my student visa (F1).

Originally posted by prettymean
If I will apply for the J 1 Visa, I then will have to go through ECFMG since they are in charge of J 1 and even a US DO school is listed in the WHO directory. But it seems that I can do my residency on my student visa (F1).

F-1 only allows you one year of practical training. You can use that for your internship year (i.e. first year of residency) ONLY. After that you better get an H1B to continue working and finish residency that way.

But if you started off your residency with J1, then you are in trouble because of the home residence requirement between US and Canada.

Thewonderer, based on the link you posted, I seem to be able to do residency on F 1 as well. Then after the F 1 expired, I can use the practical training. Can I just extend the F 1 Visa?

Thewonderer, based on the link you posted, I seem to be able to do residency on F 1 as well. Then after the F 1 expired, I can use the practical training. Can I just extend the F 1 Visa?

F1 is a student visa. It is NOT a working visa. As a courtesy, the US government gives whoever with a student visa the option of working for a year in the US EITHER during your study OR right after your study. As a result, that is called practical training and it can only last for ONE single year.

There is no way you can finish residency in that one year.

You cannot extend F1 visa unless you are studying. Again, it is a student visa, not a working visa.

The website says that you can use practical training for clinical house staff employment. That's correct. But that employment can only last for a year. so during that year, you need to work out with the hospital how to pursue H1B or J1 for the rest of your residency training.

If you are still confused, contact the international scholar's office at your school or visit the US government website. the info HAS to be on US government website. You just need to spend the time finding it.

Thewondered, if I may quote from the Duke web site,

"Clinical house staff employment is allowed on this visa (F-1)ONLY if the student has used this F-1 visa to obtain a medical degree from a U.S. medical school."

This seems to suggest that whatever time remains from the student visa can be used on clinical house staff employment, provided that the F-1 was used to acquire medical degree.

Thewondered, if I may quote from the Duke web site,

"Clinical house staff employment is allowed on this visa (F-1)ONLY if the student has used this F-1 visa to obtain a medical degree from a U.S. medical school."

This seems to suggest that whatever time remains from the student visa can be used on clinical house staff employment, provided that the F-1 was used to acquire medical degree.

The student visa will last 4 years (exactly the time you need to graduate from med school; the INS will not give you any extra time so you can bum around the US). what other time will be left for you? They will then give you exactly one year for practical training (no more, but if you use less time than that, too bad. you lose it). Once you use it up, what other time will be left?

Again, the truth can be found by calling anyone who is knowledgable about F1 STUDENT visa. It is not a working visa. Practical training is a working permit that comes with being a student and being on the F-1 visa in the past. The website is referring to the practical training permit/visa. And, again, it will only last for one single year.

Which part of it do you not understand? If you don't believe me, just call up your school's (or future school's) international student office. And maybe I am wrong. If I am wrong, then please come back and post so I can know that for the future. Cheers! :cool: