This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbatasari

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am a Foreign-trained Dentist relocating to USA in a couple of months. I will be starting a Masters program in Orthodontics from a CODA approved school very soon. I do not have a DDS/DMD from any USA or Canadian Dental school.

Before starting the program, I have a few questions regarding my career options.

1. I understand that there are only a few states that allow international dentists ( without DDS/DMD ) to sit for the state licensing board examination but I am unable to find a list of such states. Could anyone tell me where I could find the list of such states that would allow one to take the state dental licensing board ?
Since I am not in the US, calling each state board is not a feasible option for me

2. After clearing the state licensing board exam, can one practice general dentistry ( such as teeth cleaning, restorations, crowns & bridges, extractions,root canal treatments etc. ) or will they be restricted to their specialty only ?

3. Is such dental licensing exam required even for a candidate with Masters in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (4 year program ) from a CODA school ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, wrong forum. Reported to moderator to relocate your post to the proper forum.

Secondly, and answering your questions. There are "lists" around that you can Google very easily, but they are not very accurate, nor reliable.

Thirdly. That being said, I can also answer your second question. Each state has its own regulations, and sometimes are interpreted one way or another. But generally they ask you to have "credentials". As long as you have some, you will find some doors open.

Finally, I don't get what do you mean with your last question. Anyway, seems strange the combination of studying ortho and then surgery. Probably a faculty or programme director will think similar. Regardless, it is possible, but "very unlikely".

I think that you should stay focus on your current programme and see what happens around you. Because from here, you look to disperse and it seems that you are not concentrated or truly committed to your masters. Not a good start for any postgraduate student.

Sorry if I am being harsh, but it is with the best intentions. Cheers.

Last edited:
Firstly, wrong forum. Reported to moderator to relocate your post to the proper forum.

Secondly, and answering your questions. There are "lists" around that you can Google very easily, but they are not very accurate, nor reliable.

Thirdly. That being said, I can also answer your second question. Each state has its own regulations, and sometimes are interpreted one way or another. But generally they ask you to have "credentials". As long as you have some, you will find some doors open.

Finally, I don't get what do you mean with your last question. Anyway, seems strange the combination of studying ortho and then surgery. Probably a faculty or programme director will think similar. Regardless, it is possible, but "very unlikely".

I think that you should stay focus on your current programme and see what happens around you. Because from here, you look to disperse and it seems that you are not concentrated or truly committed to your masters. Not a good start for any postgraduate student.

Sorry if I am being harsh, but it is with the best intentions. Better to be criticised by somebody with a lemur as his profile pic, rather than your teachers. Cheers.

Thank you for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. How can a foreign trained dentist practice in USA?

this nice young lady here did the work for you and wrote this in 2017

there's a table at the bottom

You should Google the current licensing requirements for each state but that table gives you a starting point

2. No idea

3. Should be the same thing as what you would do for Ortho. But it's a lot harder to get in as a non citizen and without a coda dds. One or two get in a year. I know internationally trained surgeons who have floated around for years and not being able to match. Also you have to be careful of the program naming. OMS is an AE certificate residency. A masters in OMS itself does not qualify you to work as a surgeon. Usually those programs are a year or two offered with or on top of the certificate meant to incentivize residents to do research.

Thank you for the link! I really appreciate it

Hey everyone!

I am a Foreign-trained Dentist relocating to USA in a couple of months. I will be starting a Masters program in Orthodontics from a CODA approved school very soon. I do not have a DDS/DMD from any USA or Canadian Dental school.

Before starting the program, I have a few questions regarding my career options.

1. I understand that there are only a few states that allow international dentists ( without DDS/DMD ) to sit for the state licensing board examination but I am unable to find a list of such states. Could anyone tell me where I could find the list of such states that would allow one to take the state dental licensing board ?
Since I am not in the US, calling each state board is not a feasible option for me

2. After clearing the state licensing board exam, can one practice general dentistry ( such as teeth cleaning, restorations, crowns & bridges, extractions,root canal treatments etc. ) or will they be restricted to their specialty only ?

3. Is such dental licensing exam required even for a candidate with Masters in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (4 year program ) from a CODA school ?

I just came across your post regarding masters in ortho.
If you dont mind, may I know which school you have got accepted into??
Is it a residency or MS program?? From what I know career aspects for both varies.

Majority of states require at least 2 years program in approved school. If your program is less, then you wouldn't be able to practice anywhere.
The only state that doesn't require DDS/DMD from approved school is Minnesota. Very hard to obtain the license - read "impossible"
All information about licensing can be found on the ADA site or local dental licensing authorities websites

Reactions: 1 user
I just came across your post regarding masters in ortho.
If you dont mind, may I know which school you have got accepted into??
Is it a residency or MS program?? From what I know career aspects for both varies.
Could you expand on this " From what I know career aspects for both varies "
Thank you in advance

Hey everyone!

Hello! Did you find something about what you were looking for?