• Spain

• Canada

• Bolivia

Results are only viewable after voting.

DonOscar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Currently I am applying for colleges but I have a few questions and issues that needs resolving.
Conisdering the cost to become a doctor, how could I shorten the cost in order to become one?
College will cost an incredible amount of money and not to mention medical school...
I have started to think of solutions to figure out how I am going to pay for college and med school, however my solutions are broad. And yes, I want to become a doctor.

Here's a little bit of background:
I have Dual citizenship for US and Bolivia, I have been in high school here in the US.
I have an Uncle in spain and cousins who can take me in.
I don't come from a wealthy family.
Consider the fact that in the United States, univeristies make you study 4 years of non-medicine.
Consider the fact that in Spain/Canada(I think)/Bolivia, the colleges in those countries will have you automatically working with human bodies and learning medicine (rather than majoring in biology in the US).

My questions are:

1. If I were to study in Spain/Bolivia/Canada how would I apply to their universities?
2. If I decided to finish college in Spain/Bolivia/Canada (which takes 5 years and a 1 year test after) and decide to come back to the United States, would I have to go through medical school in the United States or would I go straight into the residency program?
3. If I were to study here in the US how could I reduce the amount of time and money of college?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You would apply directly to their universities, but you would have to meet the matriculation (diploma) and language (usually C1-C2) requirements
1a. Also consider that some countries do not allow foreigners to study medicine (e.g. Switzerland), or have very small quotas (e.g. Germany), or have very high requirements (Canada)
2. In matching, you would be counted as an IMG (not a FMG), but would still have to score very high (250+) on the USMLEs for a reasonable chance (which also ties in with the ranking of the university)
2a. If you graudate from a Canadian medical school, you have a better chance of matching at a US allopathic residency than if you graduate anywhere else (including Carribean)
2b. Canadian graduates who complete their residency in Canada can practice in the US since their degree and residency is considered equivalent
3. Consider 7-year programs, e.g. with Jefferson/Penn State or Case Western and apply for financial aid
3b. For these programs, you have to do your volunteering and shadowing before you apply, and you need near-perfect stats as well (4.0/1600)

So my point is that you should avoid studying medicine in a foreign country if possible if you want to return to the US. Even if you do have to take out loans, consider that you can pay them back easily with an attending's salary (I was able to repay 300k in 2.5 years).