Internation dental student applying to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TWdentist

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am canadian permenant resident, I have been living in Canada for over 10 years now. I am half way through my Master right now and planning to apply to dental school afterward. My questions is, am I considered a Canadian applicant?

cGPA: 3.62
SGPA: 3.77
DAT: AA:23 (BIO: 25 Chem:23 RC: 21) PAT:22

Shadowing: over 500+hrs in a general dental clinic.

volunteer: over 500+ hrs in medical clinics.

Work experience: 1000+hrs in a ophthalmicclinic as a ophthalmic technician.

what are the odds that I will land a seat and what are some recommended schools that I should apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am canadian permenant resident, I have been living in Canada for over 10 years now. I am half way through my Master right now and planning to apply to dental school afterward. My questions is, am I considered a Canadian applicant?

Work experience: 1000+hrs in a ophthalmicclinic as a ophthalmic technician.

what are the odds that I will land a seat and what are some recommended schools that I should apply?
do a search on this forum for international friendly dental schools
purchase and use the dental school explorer for international applicant stats...

Reactions: 1 user

Work experience: 1000+hrs in a ophthalmic clinic as a ophthalmic technician.

In addition to the advice to get access to the ADEA Dental School Explorer...

Reach out to the schools that are shown to be Canadian-friendly. Most likely they are located along the border with a record of taking a few Canadians in every class. It's too hard to give you specific odds because most schools will also engage in holistic admissions, so your background story and your mission fit as a dentist will be important to articulate.

My issues: no community service? You have 1500+ hours in medical clinics but 500+ in dental. Are you sure you want to be a dentist? Do you have your escrow account set up?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the advice to get access to the ADEA Dental School Explorer...

Reach out to the schools that are shown to be Canadian-friendly. Most likely they are located along the border with a record of taking a few Canadians in every class. It's too hard to give you specific odds because most schools will also engage in holistic admissions, so your background story and your mission fit as a dentist will be important to articulate.

My issues: no community service? You have 1500+ hours in medical clinics but 500+ in dental. Are you sure you want to be a dentist? Do you have your escrow account set up?
It was pretty hard for me to find any dental clinic that accepts dental shadowing at the beginning, I thought since dental is also a field in health care, it must share some similarities with the medical field. Once I found a dental clinic that is willing to take me in, I quit those medical clinic jobs. I am very determined in become a dentist. In terms of community service, how many hrs do I need? and what is mission fit.

thank you for your advice