Internal Medicine Shelf...uworld only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people (or if you know people) who did only uworld internal medicine questions only (and nothing else, no step up, no MKSAP, case files, etc), post their shelf scores...

And what rotations they had before internal medicine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I saw that topic, but it would be nice to have just one thread on people (or people who know other people) who used uworld only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, I did nothing else but about 1,000 uworld questions... and I kinda sorta half-*****ed it. I'm happy being slightly above average.

Mean was 78.7 and standard deviation was like 6.7

Yo, I did nothing else but about 1,000 uworld questions... and I kinda sorta half-*****ed it. I'm happy being slightly above average.

Mean was 78.7 and standard deviation was like 6.7

So just to be clear, 1) u half assed the uworld questions? or u half assed studying everything else (like step up)...and

2) You didn't use Step Up, case files, kaplan, etc.?

3) What rotations did you have before internal medicine?

Sorry for the repitiveiness, but this exam is gonna be a beast and just wanted to see if uworld alone would be enough for passing the shelf

I'm really not sure why you would just use UWorld. If you're going to only use one resource (for whatever reason), I would think it would make more sense to use a book like Step Up to Medicine. But really, why wouldn't you use multiple resources? Seeing information presented in different ways, and doing questions to learn/test yourself is really the way to go, I think.

Then again, I've only done one shelf, but I did pretty well, especially since I had Family first :)

Sorry for the repitiveiness, but this exam is gonna be a beast and just wanted to see if uworld alone would be enough for passing the shelf
Maybe, but that seems like a dumb plan when there are a few other excellent sources, like Step Up.

I would recommend UWorld and MKSAP questions. I did all of the MKSAP questions and ~1/2 of the UWorld IM questions and got >95% on the shelf last year-- it was my first shelf.

96 on the shelf using UW and Step Up to Medicine. I thought MKSAP was good for wards pimping and whatnot but not as much for the actual Shelf exam.

96 on the shelf using UW and Step Up to Medicine. I thought MKSAP was good for wards pimping and whatnot but not as much for the actual Shelf exam.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten on here the night before my exam to read this. :eek:

I did MKSAP, most of Step Up, some UWorld. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten on here the night before my exam to read this. :eek:

I did MKSAP, most of Step Up, some UWorld. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Some of the questions are more common sense than anything else (e.g. a person comes in with abdominal pain x 5 hours out of proportion to exam, prior history of CAD, a-fib, CT shows multiple patchy dilated loops of small bowel, what is next best step? angio obv for mesenteric ischemia) and you'll def be able to do well.

Good luck!

will tell you when we get score back next week

OP, I took it today and I essentially only used pre-test (400 pages of questions/answers).

I had been occasionally read first aid for medicine the past few weeks but never made it past chapter 1.

I was at the library for 15 hours reading pre-test/referring to the page in FA and just took the test a few hours ago.

Three thoughts on this test:

1. Keep track of time...I didn't finish because I spent way too much time in the beginning. It sucks to lose 5% because you didn't pay attention.

2. There is alot of "what would you do next?" I didn't answer these types of questions from pre-test, most of those were answerable to something i had seen about/heard about on rounds (these questions you can't study for).

3. I feel like most internal med services have a lot of pts with cardiac issues. I felt comfortable with those genre of questions....the ones about obscure rheumatic type diseases are always the most difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used only UWorld and got 71%. It must have been a particularly hard test because the curve was very cushy and I ended up far enough in the top half to qualify for "high pass" on the test. I don't remember what the average or standard deviation that we were plotted against was. Keep in mind that I'm a very poor standardized test taker.

For some reason, my test had lots of ortho questions. Things like: should this break be internally fixed, or put in traction? I hadn't taken anything related to ortho yet and probably got them all wrong... but so did plenty of other people, if the curve was any indication.

I used only UWorld and got 71%. It must have been a particularly hard test because the curve was very cushy and I ended up far enough in the top half to qualify for "high pass" on the test. I don't remember what the average or standard deviation that we were plotted against was. Keep in mind that I'm a very poor standardized test taker.

For some reason, my test had lots of ortho questions. Things like: should this break be internally fixed, or put in traction? I hadn't taken anything related to ortho yet and probably got them all wrong... but so did plenty of other people, if the curve was any indication.

What? That shouldn't be turning up on an IM exam

Yesterday, I had at least 5 ortho type questions.

I had the same experience yesterday. It felt like there were a lot of questions on there that shouldn't have been in an IM exam. There were a bunch of ortho questions and also a few questions about pregnant ladies. I felt pressured for time throughout the whole exam. I read all of SUTM and did half of Uworld IM, and I still feel horrible about myself.

I had the same experience yesterday. It felt like there were a lot of questions on there that shouldn't have been in an IM exam. There were a bunch of ortho questions and also a few questions about pregnant ladies. I felt pressured for time throughout the whole exam. I read all of SUTM and did half of Uworld IM, and I still feel horrible about myself.

This X 1000. The last 20 questions I had to average a question every 20 secs (just skimming and guessing) and still didn't even answer the last 5.

What? That shouldn't be turning up on an IM exam

I had a few ortho question as well. Also, one general surgery type question. The exam was a little weird.

To the last poster, I went through the whole exam, marked a couple, didn't do a few. On my way back through, I was doing incompletes and realized I had 2 minutes left. Guessed on the last 8 in about 30 seconds. It was a little absurd. I've never rushed that much in an exam before.

Uworld only - 91 scaled. Uworld is all you need if you are able or willing to pay for the subscription.

UWorld only. Actually used the sketchy pdf from a few years ago because I can't afford a subscription

Had OB, Peds, and Surgery before.

UWorld is all you need for the test. Spend the rest of your "study" time reading about your patients. You'll remember that stuff better anyway.

I used Uworld only (well technically I would occasionally refer to SUTM). I did around 1000 IM questions. I scored a raw 83 (90 scaled). At the time, I had taken the OB and surgery shelf. Timing was a huge issue for me. I finished in time, but just barely. The test did have several ortho questions and a couple gen surg and OB questions too. Just doing UWorld, you'll definitely pass. Read through SUTM (a quick, easy read) as well and you'll score very well.

I used Uworld only (well technically I would occasionally refer to SUTM). I did around 1000 IM questions. I scored a raw 83 (90 scaled). At the time, I had taken the OB and surgery shelf. Timing was a huge issue for me. I finished in time, but just barely. The test did have several ortho questions and a couple gen surg and OB questions too. Just doing UWorld, you'll definitely pass. Read through SUTM (a quick, easy read) as well and you'll score very well.

Any tips on how to prepare for those ortho, gen surg, and/or OB questions for the IM shelf? By the time I take my shelf, I won't have had my surgery or OB rotations, and I'd obviously have no clue with regards to ortho. Thanks!

Can people (or if you know people) who did only uworld internal medicine questions only (and nothing else, no step up, no MKSAP, case files, etc), post their shelf scores...

And what rotations they had before internal medicine?

Thanks!
what is MKSAP?