Internal Medicine salary look up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdocmember

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering what is a reliable place to find info on the pay and jobs available for outpatient IM doctors in say NYC?
I want an idea of what actual jobs are being posted and available for them. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

These listings are unreliable at best. You would have to reach out to a particular job listings recruiter to get specifics.

In general, if you work for a hospital group or other privately owned large group (like say... ProHealth for example) you'll probably get something like $170K? In general you get paid less than a hospital nurse administrator. You might see about 10-20 patients per day. Occasional weekend call (which is just phone calls for PMD who do not also do inpatient work) These numbers are anecdotal from my colleagues who went this path. They all eventually quit and either joined a private practice somewhere else or returned to hospitalist work.

If you work as private practice (whether solo or part of a smaller group and you have the connections to collect all billings yourself and not funnel any revenue to administrators), then the revenue is all based upon the volume you have. These practices are called "99213 mills" because of the CPT billing code for for Level 3 office visit. While some visits will be very straightforward and a level 1 or 2, a few will be level 4. just "average" it as 99213.

99213 usually pays about $100 give or take in NYC (for Medicare and the Managed Medicares/Medicaids. Commercial insurance will allow that much but may not pay at all depending on the patient's deductible and out of pocket max situation). Depending on the insurances, copay or coinsurance is a percentage of this (meaning patient pays that amount and the insurance pays the difference)
You can do some ancillary things liek smoking cessation, alcohol cessation counseling, vital sign, 12 lead ECG etc... but let's just keep it simple.
20 patients x $100 per day - $2000 revenue.
If you worked just 5x a week x 50 weeks (let's factor in some vacation and holidays)_ - then $2000 x 250 = 500,000.

Not everyone can launch into solo private practice and get the patient volume like that. unless you have connections to an IPA or some other group of physicians who have collective bargaining power with the insurances, don't expect to walk into a job and print money.

Reactions: 1 users
NYC Health + Hospitals posts their salaries in the postings, it's somewhere between 150-170k starting for PCPs. Many of the FQHCs are similar. The city has a pension and good retirement plan though.

The big hospitals (Columbia/Sinai/NYU etc) you'll need to ask recruiters but I believe they're now starting at about 180k. I don't know if they also have production/RVU bonuses, which could substantially change the salary if those are present.

Private practice as mentioned above, will be very dependent on the practice and setup.

Anecdotally, these days primary care jobs are paying more than hospitalist jobs both based on postings I see and based on my friends applying for jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NYC Health + Hospitals posts their salaries in the postings, it's somewhere between 150-170k starting for PCPs. Many of the FQHCs are similar.

Anecdotally, these days primary care jobs are paying more than hospitalist jobs both based on postings I see and based on my friends applying for jobs.
Good lord why do any of you guys live in NYC

I promise we have greasy pizza, people honking their cars and crowded streets elsewhere in the country!

Reactions: 3 users
Good lord why do any of you guys live in NYC

I promise we have greasy pizza, people honking their cars and crowded streets elsewhere in the country!
1628543924101.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
If you work as private practice (whether solo or part of a smaller group and you have the connections to collect all billings yourself and not funnel any revenue to administrators), then the revenue is all based upon the volume you have. These practices are called "99213 mills" because of the CPT billing code for for Level 3 office visit. While some visits will be very straightforward and a level 1 or 2, a few will be level 4. just "average" it as 99213.

99213 usually pays about $100 give or take in NYC (for Medicare and the Managed Medicares/Medicaids. Commercial insurance will allow that much but may not pay at all depending on the patient's deductible and out of pocket max situation). Depending on the insurances, copay or coinsurance is a percentage of this (meaning patient pays that amount and the insurance pays the difference)
You can do some ancillary things liek smoking cessation, alcohol cessation counseling, vital sign, 12 lead ECG etc... but let's just keep it simple.
20 patients x $100 per day - $2000 revenue.
If you worked just 5x a week x 50 weeks (let's factor in some vacation and holidays)_ - then $2000 x 250 = 500,000.

Not everyone can launch into solo private practice and get the patient volume like that. unless you have connections to an IPA or some other group of physicians who have collective bargaining power with the insurances, don't expect to walk into a job and print money.
This is not accounting for overhead, profit sharing? Or are there actually groups that pay you 500k a year to see 20 patients a day 5 days a week?

This is not accounting for overhead, profit sharing? Or are there actually groups that pay you 500k a year to see 20 patients a day 5 days a week?
no one will you pay you that. if you can somehow get by with 1 staff member you might pull low 200s running a mill like that. learn procedures, bill effectively and it will go up. but nyc is a **** market for anyone that isnt cash pay.

honestly you can't call that a mill, if it was 30+ patients, then maybe. but any PCP worth his/her salt can see 20 patients in a day at this point

You will need to see close to 30-40 pts a day to make 500k just from seeing pts. And they would all have to be level 4-5 pts…

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah this is all pretax pre overhead revenue that could be generated . You’ll probably need a secretary or two and a medical assistant at the very least to run a basic primary care practice .

Why is level 3 the basic? I feel like level 4 is obtainable with good coding and some fluff

Why is level 3 the basic? I feel like level 4 is obtainable with good coding and some fluff
I rarely bill below a 99214, these patients practically force me into between multiple complaints and time.