Internal Medicine PSTP vs ABIM Research pathway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z-Dimension

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been doing a lot of reading into residency options, and I've reached a point in my career where the information I'm looking for is not readily found with a simple google search. Can anyone explain what the difference is between an IM PSTP compared to doing an ABIM Research Pathway residency? For context, my end goal is to do a heme/onc fellowship and to be involved in academic research, and I'm trying to assess what is the best path to take me there.

In general, are research residencies still considered to be in their "cowboy years"? I'd previously been under the impression that the quality of a research residency program is heavily reliant on the cult of personality of the director and not something that can be reproduced reliably. Is this still the case?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a MD/PhD student but I've done a fair amount of research into these programs.

PSTP just means "Physician-Scientist Training Program" and it's entirely up to the institution to decide what that means. This can be confusing because MSTP is a term reserved for schools with a specific training grant and program. PSTP programs range widely in to what extent research and clinic are integrated. You'd have to reach out to PSTP directors to see what their version of a PSTP looks like.

ABIM research pathway residency refers to a specific training pathway in which you generally complete a streamlined residency, 2 years of post-doc research, and then a fellowship. More details can be found here: Research Pathway Policies and Requirements | ABIM.org

Many PSTP programs will use the ABIM model, but that's not guaranteed.

So in summary, PSTP is just a name for a research focused residency, but there's no consistency to what that looks like. ABIM is a specific model of research residency that is consistent across institutions.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for clarifying, I really appreciate it! I see the policies and requirements link you shared, but are these only guidelines or are they actual program requirements? Basically, are ABIM research residencies held to these guidelines the way an MSTP is via its T32?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great question and might vary a little by specific program. Talking to my friends that have interviewed with PSTPs it seems that most programs that do the ABIM model tend to stick to it. But you'd probably want to feel it out on interview day by talking to current residents in the ABIM pathway. I do know that you can opt to do the full IM residency instead of the 24 month streamlined version if you so desire.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a great question and might vary a little by specific program. Talking to my friends that have interviewed with PSTPs it seems that most programs that do the ABIM model tend to stick to it. But you'd probably want to feel it out on interview day by talking to current residents in the ABIM pathway. I do know that you can opt to do the full IM residency instead of the 24 month streamlined version if you so desire.
Is there a good reason for a PSTP to not follow the ABIM pathway? Unlike MSTPs where programs get funding from NIH, PSTPs do not get external funding from a government agency and hence, there is no financial incentive to adhere to specific guidelines, is that a fair assumption?

There are several PSTPs that are funded via NIH R38, R25, or even T32 mechanisms.

The real problem is that you have dozens of American Boards of X, Y, or Z, with their respective ACGME Residency Review Committee. Each specialty controls what "research" and "research track" means for the specialty.

In contrast, there is a single medical school accreditation board, LCME.

Reactions: 1 user