Internal Medicine Program Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In all, if you can train at any of the the top 25 programs in the nation, you'll be good to go.

I personally wouldn't go to any of the B list programs.

Gotta love the elitist bull****. It's one thing to pursue training at a highly regarded "research" heavy hospital, but it's another thing entirely to suggest that anything less is beneath you.

I would say the stars were alligned perfectly for each of us to have "accidentally" wound up where we are today. Mom could have taken one more drag on the cigarette during pregnancy and your lower birth weight might have made you more susceptible to infections slowing cognitive development. That condom might have broken back in college aftter the sorority mixer and the resulting pregnancy might have made it financially impossible for you to go to med school. The girl you asked to Homecoming back in highschool might have said "yes" then you would not have had anything to prove or compensate for by going to medical school. :laugh: :luck: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

SDN should build a sister site....something similar to scutwork...that way compiled impressions of a program would be searchable by program and/or state, rather than having to tediously scroll through endless threads and rants the way we do now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the stars were alligned perfectly for each of us to have "accidentally" wound up where we are today. Mom could have taken one more drag on the cigarette during pregnancy and your lower birth weight might have made you more susceptible to infections slowing cognitive development. That condom might have broken back in college aftter the sorority mixer and the resulting pregnancy might have made it financially impossible for you to go to med school. The girl you asked to Homecoming back in highschool might have said "yes" then you would not have had anything to prove or compensate for by going to medical school. :laugh: :luck: :laugh:

Best thing i've read in a while! :thumbup:

From the interviews i've been on so far, I do think that the teaching (as it pertains to practicing evidence-based medicine and understanding how cutting edge research is driving medicine forward) is certainly more emphasized at the top XYZ programs..but any program will make you a strong clinician if you put in the time and effort...

SDN should build a sister site....something similar to scutwork...that way compiled impressions of a program would be searchable by program and/or state, rather than having to tediously scroll through endless threads and rants the way we do now.
They already have one. At top of page, go References, Interview Feedback, Residencies and Fellowships, Allopathic, Internal Medicine. Don't think it has the detail you'd like and doesn't appear anyone's using it recently, but in theory it'd be a place to start to make it easier to find out about a program.

Sometimes I run really fast into the wall and all these highly validated and reproducible rankings from SDN members get all jumbled in my head forcing me to start reading the posts all over again.:eek: I know their wisdom consists of attending interviews a few years ago before all the recent ACGME changes occurred and also their respective residency program experience but I'm weighting it heavily in my calculations for my rank list.:xf:

I'm considering cardiology, GI, rheum, renal, pulm/cc, id, primary care, global health, heme, right lower extremity medicine or allergy right now. My spouse's family is in CA and mine are in NY so we're really thinking about Texas programs. Please help me re-rank the following:

UCXYZ
The Bieber :love:
Jewish
Not Jewish
Catholics
Convicts
El Nino
San Sumthin Good
Good Sumthin
Feels Good State
UB-NawT
University
Jay-Z
Abraham Flexyournut
The Jerry Sandusky (I heard it recently went on probation. Is that true?)

Thank you in advance for your input.

Sometimes I run really fast into the wall and all these highly validated and reproducible rankings from SDN members get all jumbled in my head forcing me to start reading the posts all over again.:eek: I know their wisdom consists of attending interviews a few years ago before all the recent ACGME changes occurred and also their respective residency program experience but I'm weighting it heavily in my calculations for my rank list.:xf:

I'm considering cardiology, GI, rheum, renal, pulm/cc, id, primary care, global health, heme, right lower extremity medicine or allergy right now. My spouse's family is in CA and mine are in NY so we're really thinking about Texas programs. Please help me re-rank the following:

UCXYZ
The Bieber :love:
Jewish
Not Jewish
Catholics
Convicts
El Nino
San Sumthin Good
Good Sumthin
Feels Good State
UB-NawT
University
Jay-Z
Abraham Flexyournut
The Jerry Sandusky (I heard it recently went on probation. Is that true?)

Thank you in advance for your input.

You're ranking looks fine by me. You'll have to go with your gut.

($5 says this is BnD's troll account)

:smuggrin:

Where does the George Washington medicine program rank?

Well i'm sooooo sorry for asking how a program is regarded ... plz keep on bashing ...

Well I just prematched at my #1 choice (a mid-tier univ. spot) at a solid program with a great Pulm/CC dept.

Which means no rank list for me!

Good luck to everyone else.

Well congratulations, this is a huge weight off your chest now!

Best of luck in your future training

Hopkins is very resident run. The ACS (chief resident) is not like a chief resident at other programs. They ARE the attending. They go away for fellowship for a year and then come back to be ACS. Most consider hopkins resident run

As far as I know, MOST CRs are attendings - i.e. finished residency and are doing an extra year as CR (Only exception I know is a community hospital, where 3rd years were CRs but that could be because they had hard time convincing people to stay an extra year and if you are going to be in the community, then most places don't give a rat's ***** if you were a CR or not as long as you can see 30+ patients daily.)

Yep, once the CR has passed their certification exam they should be free to run.

Re: Hopkins...a fellowship just to become a PGY4 chief resident?....lulz...no thanks.