MD Internal medicine categorical applicants- Match 2020 season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is like a resident saying “well in my limited experience this treatment works best” when well run trials exist to inform the decision. On this topic, you don’t need to cherry pick anecdotes to make an argument, great population level and even experimental trial data exists. Use that instead to inform your opinion. Works in medicine and for this example.

Anyway I’ve said my two cents, I’m done derailing the thread I promise.
I am not going to take the time to cite papers as to why people are poor and the impact that has and how that impact is bigger than that of race by a huge margin. Other factors like single motherhood also make a much bigger impact. People can do their own homework. The status quo PC narrative is what you are saying. I urge others to read on their own. It's funny how the poster I am responding to cites no data himself, yet claims I am the one relying on anecdotes.

Brookings institute, a liberal think tank, has a good paper on how not to be poor: no out of wedlock kids, graduate high school, and get a job and also how some racial groups do that stuff a lot less. Google it if you wish.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not going to take the time to cite papers as to why people are poor and the impact that has and how that impact is bigger than that of race by a huge margin. Other factors like single motherhood also make a much bigger impact. People can do their own homework. The status quo PC narrative is what you are saying. I urge others to read on their own. It's funny how the poster I am responding to cites no data himself, yet claims I am the one relying on anecdotes.

-Allostatic load paper by race, sex, income to support my first point in my first post

-Trial of names and employability to support my second point in the first post.

I was describing the primary literature in my posts, but if you wanted examples of the primary literature given the nature of my comment to use data that’s fair enough here you go. I could spend literally all day providing more links to support those two points (among others) but I’ll leave it at this for now, happy reading.

Last edited:
-Allostatic load paper by race, sex, income to support my first point in my first post

-Trial of names and employability to support my second point in the first post.

I described the literature in my posts, but if you wanted examples of the primary literature given the nature of my comment that’s fair enough here you go. I could spend literally all day providing more links to support those two points (among others) but I’ll leave it at this for now, happy reading.
have you read The Bell Curve or Coming Apart? Or Arthur Murray's response to Gould? Lot of nice data there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t get involved with how demographics should be taken into account for med school/residency selections, but the bolded goes above that. Sorry this is a bad take.

You’re in medicine so I assume you like being evidenced based, so please don’t use random hypothetical situations to inform your opinions of how impactful racism is. Time and time again rigorously conducted studies show high income minorities have health outcomes like poor white folks (so no, it’s not all SES racism is alive and playing a role in people’s lives) and having even just a black-sounding name and identical credentials leads to fewer job interviews (so yes, racism is very much real and as big a problem as people make it out to be in the job market too). Spend literally 10 minutes on google scholar and even if you limit your search to top journals you’d see it’s a pretty clear-cut story that extends far beyond the two examples I describe.

Also, really how many oil barons do you think are infiltrating the US medical system? I’d advise them against it - seems like they could have a better life doing something else with their time and millions.

Does SES also matter? Of course. Should demographic characteristics play as big a part in residency interview selections? I have no idea how they’re truly currently used (none of use non-PDs do, and even they only know how their institution uses it) so it would be ignorant to give a hardline prescription but I suspect that part of the process is quite fair. Does any of this make racism (within and outside) of medicine any less prevalent - no.

I just love how some people tell the ones suffering from horrendous experience how they should feel or think about those said experiences. They have NO idea how American society, or even medicine in general, still treats minorities. They should talk to minorities, especially black folks, about their experiences in third year - many of them have received lower eval grades than their white counterparts who performed equally if not less. AOA is another - blacks and other minorities are still wayyy underrepresented even with equal stats; other schools have decided to get rid of it as they see that it perpetuates outdated practices that hurt many groups, while it’s still being debated in others. Even with programs that are supposedly set up to help these minorities, they still don’t get them or, in many instances, still not enough. They still have a harder time getting all the necessary things to look good on paper/CV. They have less opportunities for research, etc. It’s much harder for them to be successful. For these minorities, racism plays a big part of their day-to-day lives. Just like in the general population, medicine still favors white men. But of course, let’s blame the few URM because we’re envious they are getting invites from “top” programs that find them more interesting than us.

Reactions: 1 user
I just love how some people tell the ones suffering from horrendous experience how they should feel or think about those said experiences. They have NO idea how American society, or even medicine in general, still treats minorities. They should to minorities, especially black folks, about their experiences in third year - many of them have received lower eval grades than their white counterparts who performed equally if not less. AOA is another - blacks and other minorities are still wayyy underrepresented even with equal stats; other schools have decided to get rid of it as they see that it perpetuates outdated practices that hurt many groups, while it’s still being debated in others. Even with programs that are supposedly set up to help these minorities, they still don’t get them or, in many instances, still not enough. They still have a harder time getting all the necessary things to look good on paper/CV. They have less opportunities for research, etc. It’s much harder for them to be successful. For these minorities, racism plays a big part of their day-to-day lives. Just like in the general population, medicine still favors white men. But of course, let’s blame the few URM because we’re envious they are getting invites from “top” programs that find them more interesting than us.
I love the ones suffering from horrendous experiences think theirs are necessarily worse than their non URM minority counterparts. Grievance politics is a beautiful thing.

I love the ones suffering from horrendous experiences think theirs are necessarily worse than their non URM minority counterparts. Grievance politics is a beautiful thing.

First of all, really you’re going to quote the Bell Curve that argues for lasting differences in IQ between races? Yes I read it in college, and in addition to being outdated it’s pretty well accepted that there are serious flaws with a lot of what’s presented in it.

Second, @Hatfield0429 is, as we should all be doing, using data to support his/her view. @Hatfield0429 didn’t link the studies but many exist speaking to exactly what he/she describes:

Among others.

Last edited:
A quote from.your first link

"Non-URM minority students were more likely than White students (Adjusted Odds Ratio = 0.53), confidence interval [0.36, 0.76], p = .001, to receive a lower category MSPE summary word in analyses adjusting for student demographics (age, gender, maternal education), year, and United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 scores"

Yes non URMs. That is from your first paper. Thank you. We all know asians get worse subjective evals.

a quote from second one

"Black and Asian medical students were less likely than their white counterparts to be members of AΩA, which may reflect bias in selection. In turn, AΩA membership selection may affect future opportunities for minority medical students."

"No statistically significant difference was found in AΩA membership between white and Hispanic medical students (aOR, 0.79; 99% CI, 0.45-1.37) in the adjusted model."

There was no diff for hispanics. Blacks and Asians both suffer. But Hispanics and Blacks get AA. Great logic for our AA system per results lile these. Keep linking stuff. This is good fun.

Seems like Asians suffer bias and get no special help. But they still manage to succeed, a true demonstration of a culture of resiliency. Also, the IQ work in the Bell Curve has yet to have a good response, especially in light of Murray's counterarguments against Gould's work. There is a reason SWJs respond with little but shouting and ad hominem.

Last edited:
Erm...apologies for changing the subject, but why is the Reddit spreadsheet locked :mad:

Reactions: 4 users
The top schools are getting 3000-4000 applications for 30-40 positions with 200-300 interview slots. Qualified top school students are getting letters from their own schools about being put on waitlists. Most of these are research schools and so AOA and scores have some impact but without research papers, you may not have any shot.

Not a PD, but people say this every year, including my cycle last year. People just underestimate the competitiveness of top IM, and overestimate the value of going to a top IM.

Can you speak more to the second part of your statement, particularly the part about "overestimate the value of going to a top IM?"

Can you speak more to the second part of your statement, particularly the part about "overestimate the value of going to a top IM?"

Many assume it's crucial to go to a top 20 to get into competitive fellowships like cardiology and GI. While it definitely can't hurt, there are many excellent programs outside of the top 20 that match their residents into those fellowships without difficulty.

For anyone who has gone to pre-interview dinners, what's the consensus on dress code?

I was thinking khakis with a button up.

Is a solid black button up usually a no-go if it's paired with like dark teal pants? Are brown shoes and belt okay to match with those colors?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has gone to pre-interview dinners, what's the consensus on dress code?

I was thinking khakis with a button up.

Is a solid black button up usually a no-go if it's paired with like dark teal pants? Are brown shoes and belt okay to match with those colors?
I would not stress. I’ve seen it all amongst the residents: business casual, gym clothes, scrubs, etx

Amongst applicants I’d say roughly 75% do business casual. But also have seen both guys and gals in normal clothes as well and no one batted an eye

Dark teal pants aren’t exactly subtle. Though I’ve seen red already. Also, I’ve only interviewed at liberal and fashion forward places/ cities so, as usual, know your audience!

I would not stress. I’ve seen it all amongst the residents: business casual, gym clothes, scrubs, etx

Amongst applicants I’d say roughly 75% do business casual. But also have seen both guys and gals in normal clothes as well and no one batted an eye

Dark teal pants aren’t exactly subtle. Though I’ve seen red already. Also, I’ve only interviewed at liberal and fashion forward places/ cities so, as usual, know your audience!

yeah I thought dark teal would be subtle as long as I "blank" it out with a solid black top. But idk lol. I don't wanna stand out.

Just tired of wearing normal khakis and patterned button up from rotations, oh well haha.

Thanks for the advice.

UNC website states they send out IIs/rejections at a single time in "mid-October." Haven't heard anything from them yet, but according to the spreadsheet, all the interview slots are full?

UNC website states they send out IIs/rejections at a single time in "mid-October." Haven't heard anything from them yet, but according to the spreadsheet, all the interview slots are full?

Slots are still full; perhaps you’re on the waitlist just in case some people cancel.

Facts don't care about feelings black applicants need lower scores every step of the way that includes people from the ghetto and also children of Nigerian oil barons the system is broken yes being black as a disadvantage but a lot of that comes from socio economics racism is real but it's not as big of a confounder as people make it out to be and certainly not a reason to limit meritocracy
Socio economics are steeped in racism. I haven't the time, or care, to educate you on this because an internet argument rarely changes hearts, which in this scenario is needed to change minds. I hope that you don't let your minimization of racial bias affect your future practice of medicine or your humanity. Best of luck to you "TheDelusionist"

Erm...apologies for changing the subject, but why is the Reddit spreadsheet locked :mad:
If there's more than 100 ppl on the sheet it becomes "Read only". Try again and it'll probably let you edit.

How are IM applicants ranked? I always heard that the most important thing is the interview. But I went on one, and it was so impersonal (2 x 15 minute interviews) , I have no idea how they can get so much out of it?

Socio economics are steeped in racism. I haven't the time, or care, to educate you on this because an internet argument rarely changes hearts, which in this scenario is needed to change minds. I hope that you don't let your minimization of racial bias affect your future practice of medicine or your humanity. Best of luck to you "TheDelusionist"
ad hominem. classic tactic. anyway, racism contributes to modern day socioeconomic issues sure. but the underlying current problem that is most pernicious is socioeconomics and the ****ty culture of drugs, violence, and single motherhood that go along with it. Racism is an important root cause. But the core issue is economic upliftment via instilling better core values via education and allowing businesses to create jobs via a tax friendly environment and good policing.

Racism caused a lot of this but isn't the root cause perpetuator. You can eliminate racism but the poor cultural practices of the these communities will keep them poor forever, much like the situation of Appalachian whites. Carribean blacks are also descendents of brutal slavery but have a culture, on average, that prioritizes achievement more. Immigrant blacks from subsaharan African sometimes come from places with a legacy of European and Arab subjugation and genocide often more pernicious than that of American slavery.

Lowering standards based on race is silly. Use socioeconomics if you want a better system. That will indirectly capture race because URMs are disproportionately poor but also help poor Whites, such as those from rural Appalachia, suffering similar poor life expectancies, rates of substance abuse, and broken families, as their urban black counterparts.

The issue of socioeconomics is fraud and lying and that yes someone who has it poor and black does have it a harder than someone who is poor and white. But no system is perfect. I would rather have a system that helps all of the poor and destitute than one that selectively helps based on race, leaves a ton of the poor out, and ends up being mostly used by the rich among the minorities anyway.

Ask your friends at ivy league schools who are URMs what their parents do. Often, it is children of Nigerian doctor couples, Jamaican engineers, or the fully White conquistador descendant Hispanics from wealthy backgrounds from the getgo. It is disprortionately not those facing the legacy of racism at its fullest affecting their socioeconomics.

And even for those groups, once again, racism shluld be eliminated over time and is an issue. But the root cause of perpetuation of poor socioeconomics is ****ty cultural practices, as are for the generationally poor white rural counterparts. Lowering standards based on race is not the answer. Socioeconomics is an imperfect but better answer.

Ask those of untouchable caste from India, Bosnian war refugees, etc where their affirmative action in America is. And before you go and say they don't deserve it because they weren't slaves in America specifically, well neither were those Caribbean and recent immigrant blacks and white Hispanics who most take advantage of American affirmative action.

Socioeconomics is the single best predictor for a legacy and continuation of prejudice against a group. Focus on that. And the sad thing is reversing that prejudice even entirely doesn't change the legacy of the ****ty culture of that oppression, the root cause perpetrator. Make the neighborhoods safe, give kids free meals and after school activities to keep them from gangs and drugs, use needle exchanges programs, create a tax friendly and safe environment for businesses to invest and create jobs that will bring upliftment.

This current affirmative action system is a worse way to go about getting closer to the solution of equity than a socioeconomic one.
The best solution is better childhood education, nutrition, access to after school activities, etc. It's funny because I am not against many liberal proposals of giving free stuff to kids to give them a fair shot. I am heavily against our racially based affirmative action system. The funniest part is those simply using personal attacks and then citing papers that I subsequently showcase directly contradict their rationale. Anyway, if propaganda and personal attacks are what make for common argumentation in this space, I think I will stop. One thing about your post is correct. It is pointless arguing further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are IM applicants ranked? I always heard that the most important thing is the interview. But I went on one, and it was so impersonal (2 x 15 minute interviews) , I have no idea how they can get so much out of it?

That’s what I thought, too. I’d rank that place lower unless it’s a place you really wanna go. Keep in mind that interviews are also for us to see how they are. We put so much effort and spend money to go to these interviews. Sorry you had impersonal interviews. I go to my first non home interview next week hoping that they’ll be enthusiastic.

Have the bulk of the interview invites gone out already? If so, how many more weeks should we hope for anymore that hopefully will trickle?

Have the bulk of the interview invites gone out already? If so, how many more weeks should we hope for anymore that hopefully will trickle?

Based of the reddit spreadsheet, the majority of programs have sent out interviews already. It's unknown whether "the bulk" of them have been since it depends on the program size and competitiveness of the program based on academics and location.

There will def trickle effect because the majority of top tier programs have sent out their invites and many applicants will start dropping invites from safety programs in less than desirable locations or just prestige.

it's impossible to know how many more weeks of this because it's based on where you applied. I am going to guess that by end of November it'll really slow down (hopefully, I really don't wanna travel in dec/jan outside of local to avoid wintry weather).

Hi guys! Did anyone interview at Montefiore (Moses and Weiler campuses) and cares to share their experience?
Many thanks!

Hi guys! Did anyone interview at Montefiore (Moses and Weiler campuses) and cares to share their experience?
Many thanks!
I haven't interviewed there, but i am trying to learn more about this location. how competitive is it? do they take DOs ? any score details?

I haven't interviewed there, but i am trying to learn more about this location. how competitive is it? do they take DOs ? any score details?
They say that they have no strict selection criteria when it comes to scores. And yes, they have some DO residents.

They say that they have no strict selection criteria when it comes to scores. And yes, they have some DO residents.
Is it a lot of international students and DOs or some MDs as well? i couldn't find much information so i'm just trying to get an idea of their compettiiveness and program makeup

Is it a lot of international students and DOs or some MDs as well? i couldn't find much information so i'm just trying to get an idea of their compettiiveness and program makeup
Looks like it's mostly US MD residents according to Doximity.

Edit: According to Freida as well (go to the "Program & faculty" section)
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Nope, only about one or two international students. Less than 5 DOs as well. The rest of the program are US, MD students.

Looks like it's mostly US MD residents according to Doximity.

Edit: According to Freida as well (go to the "Program & faculty" section)
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
I see 4 montefiore on Freida. Is there a particular one that you are referring to?