Intern year to PGY2....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmd2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one go from the internship year to the second year in residency. I have heard not all interns are able to go to 2nd year. Do some specific exams have to be cleared? What's involved in the evaluation process? Is this common to not be promoted to the next year??

Members don't see this ad.

It is uncommon not to be promoted to the next year and usually promotions are withheld for the same reasons anyone would lose their job - incompetence, poor work habits, etc.

It used to be that surgery programs and other similar programs were run on a "pyramid" system where they would match 10 interns when there are only 4 PGY-2 spots. The interns would compete for those spots and the losers were let go. From what I've heard there aren't too many pyramid type residencies out there anymore and the ones that I've heard of are DO.

C

Seaglass:

My understanding is that "pyramid" residency systems were "outlawed" in the late 1980's in the U.S. by the ACGME. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Now, that may not actually prevent a PD from pulling such a stunt, but it is no longer an official modus operandi for residency programs.

misfit

Yeah I don't know the deatils so that sounds good to me, but IIRC the ACGME has no control over the osteopaths.

C