Intern Year Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently matched M4 whiling away the days, and wondering what current and past residents would recommend to prep for intern year as well as what to do during intern year to prepare for the actual ENT part of residency. I couldnt find anything substantive on otomatch or here.

For internship prep, I was planning to read the washington manual surgery survival guide and that's about it, relax, work out, etc. Anything else?

How should we be utilizing intern year? Read lalwani/lange? Cummings/Baileys? Or just focus on the gen surg rotations? Set up research projects (if projecting to go into fellowship/academia)?

Members don't see this ad.

During intern year: I would recommend just focusing on the rotation you are on. Try be a top notch intern on each service. Push your work ethic and hone your efficiency. Worrying about studying ENT in the background can detract from that. If you develop a reputation for being a slacker on your rotation, because you are focused on ENT and not what you are supposed to be doing, that will get back to people in the ENT program. Plus, you never know when you are going to learn something pertinent, even on a seemingly unrelated rotation. Keep your eyes and ears open. If you have a light rotation or are acing your rotation, you can browse ENT topics you need to learn about.

Before intern year: don't spend too much time studying. Enjoy the last time you will have a break from work that lasts more than a week. Spending a little time finding good internship survival books and browsing them is okay. It kind of depends on what your first rotation is, as to how useful that will be. Make sure you have an idea how to deal with the calls you will get for fever, tachycardia, nausea /vomiting, etc. Prepare a little for how you are going to keep a list and write notes. Maybe try to get on an early wake up schedule the week before you start.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, to DrBoadcious you listen.