Intern year...contract extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an intern. When I started last year, the program start date was June 26 for most of the incoming interns (those who had their licenses) with the understanding that those of us that started on time would also get to finish earlier. However, the incoming interns are starting on July 1st. The problem is that they won't have enough interns at the end of the year if they do this. So those of us who started the year early are being forced to stay for the extra 5 days until the new interns start. This is despite the fact that our end date on our contract is for June 25th. While this is not a big deal for the categorical residents, it makes a HUGE difference to the prelims who have to move and start at new programs. My question is: Can the program do this despite what is written in the contract?

Members don't see this ad.

You finish your contract, you are done. Plain and simple. They CANNOT withhold your completion certificate, if you have completed what you were contracted to do.

Tell them you will do it, if you are paid an extra amount that is consistent with what you got during the year.

They'll trot out their risk management, and try to morally brow-beat you, but, in the end, they fold, or it looks like the Cat I's are doing q2 for 5 days, the Cat II's might have to do an intern day, and the clinics are being run by attendings only.

And don't EVEN let anyone say "this is how it happens every year". That would mean that every year has a lot of doormats.

I think you answered your own question there. You have a contract with specific dates. If you were categorical then you'd really have no choice but to stay on, but if I was a prelim there and started June 26, I'd end a year later. Just tell them you have to move or get ready for your PGY-2 year, but after June 25, you have no contract and don't have to show up on June 26 unless you sign an extension.