Intern scutworld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillybabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given there is a fair amount of scut in any hospital, I was just curious as to which hospitals that have a reputation for being scut central for interns, esp in nyc, CT. Any hearsay ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

public hospitals (city, va, etc.) tend to be poorly staffed and so you end up with more scut. the advantage is that you have a real teaching service and thus will actually learn during the course of your residency.

the alternative is going to a private hospital, where there are minimal (if any) service
patients. in that case, you don't learn anything and are nothing more than the private attendings' b--ch.

I've found that I do almost as much scut at a nice private hospital as I did at VA/county. Its just different - at county you had to draw blood if you wanted anything stat but at private I have to call/page IV team 3-4 times before they call back. Do I save time? I don't think so. Also, at private you run around in circles calling private docs about their patients and half the time I can never read their notes so I have to call them again to "clarify". Although rounds took some godforsaken amount of time at county the absolute lack of rounds at private doesn't make things easier.
plus you get less holidays at private