Intern & resident salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please provide any recent data on this? Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Need to be a little more specific there.

What country? What location? What field?

Members don't see this ad :)
Blade28 said:
Need to be a little more specific there.
What country? What location? What field?

My apologies. I would like to get information for the U.S. specifically the midwest for these specialties: Radiology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic, Thoracic. A range is fine. Please PM me if you would rather not reveal that openly. Thank you.

Z06 said:
My apologies. I would like to get information for the U.S. specifically the midwest for these specialties: Radiology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic, Thoracic. A range is fine. Please PM me if you would rather not reveal that openly. Thank you.
Have you visited the websites of the hospitals you're interested in? Most hospitals usually list this information.

Pretty much every program that has a website lists the salaries/benefits. You can find a lot of them on FRIEDA too.

This info for interns and first-year-fellowships are available for most programs through FREIDA via AMA - pay doesn't usually (note "USUALLY") change by specialty within a hospital, but does change by year (not MUCH, but some - usually an increase of $1200-$2200 per year).

Try looking up your programs at this site:
www.ama-assn.org/go/freida

Good Luck!

FREIDA is a good source. There are also very few thoracic residencies - mainly fellowships.

You're asking for quite a bit of information. 4 different residency fields, in all of the midwest's residency programs? That's hundreds of programs. As stated earlier, also try checking out individual hospital or residency program's websites.

PGY-1's salary will range from 38K-44K depending on the program and area of the country. Usually areas that have to work to draw people tend to pay a bit more, private hospitals sometimes pay more, and places where cost of living is high will pay more. These are generalizations, not rules. Salary is independent of specialty. Salaries are based on years of experience, you will make more as you advance through your residency. Ortho residents will not make more than FP residents. This is all in the U.S. of course.

Like everyone else has said, look on FREIDA, this info is published for every program and every specialty.

If you are military you will be looking at more like 50-60K for salary, again a generalization. Military pays more during residency, but considerably less after residency.

Z06 said:

I assume by thoracic you mean thoracic surgery, which is not a residency, but rather a fellowship after a 5 year gen. surgery residency. Just in case you didn't know that, which you may have.

neutropenic said:
I think it's usually by PG year at each institution. A PGY1 peds and PGY1 medicine at the same institution will get paid the same usually.

For example, Michigan's salary scale is in this document in Appendix A

http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/hoa/HOA Contract.pdf

This is pretty much true but the soft money and moonlighting ability vary greatly between programs of the same institution.

randomedstudent said:
I assume by thoracic you mean thoracic surgery, which is not a residency, but rather a fellowship after a 5 year gen. surgery residency. Just in case you didn't know that, which you may have.

No, I did not know that. Obviously you can tell I'm a non-trad just getting information on a possible career change. Thank you & others for the helpful links.

randomedstudent said:
One of our former SICU fellows did a residencies in general and thoracic surgery prior to his surgical critical care fellowship. He and all of our current thoracic surgery residents refer to it as a residency and not a fellowship. I think the only thoracic surgery fellowship that we offer is cardiac, but we might offer one in pediatric as well.

If you go to the Thoracic Surgery Residents Association (www.tsranet.org) it lists all the residencies that are available in thoracic surgery.

Fellowships in cardiothoracic surgery are available in pediatric cardiac surgery, transplant surgery, and cardiac surgery.

Keep in mind that residency pay has nothing to do with specialty. It has to do with level of training (i.e. PGY-2 vs PGY-3) and location (NYC pays more than Tulsa, it has to).

most places in the midwest start at about 40,500 or so for PGY1.

From my experience location did not weigh much in the determination of salary. I visited several programs located in rural settings that paid considerably more than the NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc. programs. My transitional year salary is around 46k at a location where the cost of living is 1/3 of NYC. I actually thought bigger cities paid less because they are in high demand amongst medical school applicants. All of this is just opinion as I have done no research into salary scales.

Guys...when on Freida they say a PGY-1 in a certain program earns 47 000$/year, is this the net amount after taxes? or before the deduction of taxes?

And what is the tax % on it in the states?

No, those salaries are all before taxes.

In the US in that income range, you can expect to lose about 35% of your income to various and sundry taxes. Of course, health insurance and regional cost of living makes a huge difference. Making $46k before taxes in NYC or Miami vs $42k in the plains states is a monstrous difference in lifestyle.

Z06 said:

Generally they start around $40K a year and go up each year.

When people report salaries or they are listed by employers (medical and non-medical), they always are gross salary (before taxes). When people say they make 60 grand a year, they mean before taxes. The reason for this is not everyone has the same amount taken out for taxes, so it would be stupid to compare net earnings.

Thank you everyone for the information. Just wanted to map out the projected exp/inc so at least I don't go into this completely blindly from a financial aspect. At nearly 40 with the same career for the past 15 years it's provided a nice living but then again what's life if you don't get out of your comfort zone from time to time and at least try to pursue your other aspirations. Nice to know I can come here for some inspiration. Thanks. :)