Intern license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCB

live and let live
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in Pharmacy school, once you're given an intern license, do schools place you somewhere or you get to choose where you want to intern?
I was banned from CVS a long time ago, if the school wants me to intern at that store , I am afraid that I won?t be able to do so. I know for sure that I don?t have a record since I am working at the hospital right now. I know that CVS has something against me, but I still don?t know what it is .
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Banned from CVS? Are you sure you don't just have a DM whose sore at 'ya?

For the internship I did for my first year, my coordinator at school asked everyone on a questionnaire where we've worked before (as techs) so that she could place us in a new, unfamiliar chain. We had to also mention the nearest cross street so she could place us near our residence. We couldn't pick a particular store. We were able to pick a first choice and second choice for our six week summer community pharmacy rotation (we could pick a particular store), and for our second year internship (the one I'm in currently), we could choose a first and second choice chain along with a reason for picking a particular chain.

That reminds me, I have to fill out the form for this summer's hospital internship...I'm thinking of doing mine in SoCal, so I need to find a first and second choice.

We received our internship licensces last month. As for actually interning this summer, it is optional and we are on our own. CVS and Walmart left applications at the school and CVS will be interviewing in January.

I talked with a few places during the ASP mid-year meeting and made some contacts. I'm going to start on my resume this week, then send it out online to various places to find a position.

That reminds me, I have to fill out the form for this summer's hospital internship...I'm thinking of doing mine in SoCal, so I need to find a first and second choice.

Welcome Back!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling that if I went into the pharmacy advisor and asked for help finding a job, she would pull out the phonebook and turn it to the "P" section. "Good luck!" No, we get no help.

At my school, if you want to restrict them as a rotation, you can. Generally my dean doesn't ask any questions about the issue unless it had to do with breaking a pharmacy law.

Besides, the MEMS program in place in most schools uses a lottery system that you can lock out certain choices. It shouldn't be a problem.

If the ban was for a pharmacy regulatory issue, you must be upfront about it with the experiential ed. coordinator. Pharmacy is a small world and one intern at my school was refused entry into another rotation site based on what another company told that rotation site. That intern may face expulsion for not reporting that issue earlier before the school and BOP.