Intern burn out???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yololo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok interns... anyone else feeling burnt out? its only been 4 months.. Im beat!:beat:

Members don't see this ad.

ME!!! I'm am dying here!
Not only did I pick up and move 90 minutes away from any of my family and friends, but I have had no time to make new ones. And working in the ED, I never even get to see the other interns.
I can't seem to dictate anything coherent after 18 hours on and I feel like everyday is beat down the intern's ego day.:scared:

Is this what internship is supposed to be like?

I'm seriously considering taking a hiatus to get my life back in order.:eek:

Any advice?

ME!!! I'm am dying here!
Not only did I pick up and move 90 minutes away from any of my family and friends, but I have had no time to make new ones.

90 minutes? Uh...I live about 5,000 miles away from my family and friends. It takes an 11-hour flight, nonstop.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, for real. 90 minutes? i'm across the country from mine (and from my SO.)

but i'm doin' ok. i'll be better once i get out of the SICU

BTW, when I said I'm around 5,000 miles away, that's still within the country. :(

90 minutes? Uh...I live about 5,000 miles away from my family and friends.

Wow, you've got me beat! My family and friends only live 2,900 miles away from me. Granted, I was much closer during my intern year . . . only 940 miles. :laugh: Plus (again during my intern year) my commute back and forth was > 100 miles. I had one or two near accidents post-call coming from the MICU.

But to get back on topic . . . as a 'tern I too was burned out. I think around the major holidays @ the end of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) it gets much worse.

I've been back to visit home for a total of 3 days since I started residency. That's two separate trips, BTW.

I laughed when I first read the 90 minutes thing. Glad to see some of you guys found that laughable as well. I am ~900 miles from home in a place with brutal winters. Hell the most snow I ever saw in NC was an inch here or there. Oh well, I'm happy but it can get lonely when I have time off but not nearly enough time to make it home and visit friends and family.

This time of year is particularly hard on interns...you're far enough in that the newness has worn off but the end of the year seems so far away. Couple it with winter, going in and leaving when its dark and often being away from family on holidays, and you're bound to be burned out.