Intermolecular Hydrogen Bonding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello, Can you some please help me. I'm a little confused. I took general chemistry 10 years ago. I understand why I got the question wrong. However I don't understand why isn't Florine is listed as the most electronegative atom in the periodic table, even though the choices given don't have any Florine atom.
Much thanks.
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 11.18.20 AM.png

Members don't see this ad.

HF can hydrogen bond. The reason why it's not relevant in biology is that the only compound HF makes that can do H-bonding is HF and since fluorine is a halogen, fluorine can't be bonded to anything else if it's bound to hydrogen. So while HF can be a H-bond donor, it doesn't really matter because you're not going to find HF in the body. In fact, HF is incredibly toxic and nobody should work with it unless they've been extensively trained on fluoride safety because HF will eat into you without you even knowing. And then it'll leach the calcium from your bones and you'll die very painfully.

Reactions: 1 user
HF can hydrogen bond. The reason why it's not relevant in biology is that the only compound HF makes that can do H-bonding is HF and since fluorine is a halogen, fluorine can't be bonded to anything else if it's bound to hydrogen. So while HF can be a H-bond donor, it doesn't really matter because you're not going to find HF in the body. In fact, HF is incredibly toxic and nobody should work with it unless they've been extensively trained on fluoride safety because HF will eat into you without you even knowing. And then it'll leach the calcium from your bones and you'll die very painfully.

Perfect!! thanks!