Interests in BME after doing BS and MS in Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted751158

I've completed my BS in Neurobiology and MS in Medical Physiology. I'm looking to apply to med school programs next summer after taking my MCAT Jan 2019. This summer I have done a lot of reading and research into companies that create medical devices and have used BME to produce "cutting edge" innovations to help patient care. This has been very interesting for me. I definitely would like to pursue Medical School to be a doctor, but I was wondering whether it is too late for me to still get a background in BME? Maybe through a MS in BME or a dual degree MD/MS BME?

I think having a background in BME is something that would be useful as a physician, especially if I am heading towards the neurosurgery path. Does anyone know of a way that I can still make this possible or certain programs that I should be leaning more towards? I'm a bit concerned of how doable this path would be given my background.

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the new Carle Illinois College of Medicine.

Home - Carle Illinois College of Medicine

In big bold letters right on the homepage of their website: "THE FORWARD DESIGN OF HUMAN HEALTH BEGINS AT THE WORLD'S FIRST ENGINEERING-BASED COLLEGE OF MEDICINE."

MSAR data is not available yet as they are matriculating their first class. Due to it being a public medical school I assume their acceptances will skew towards in-state students; however, if your application is stellar you always have a shot.

Doesn't seem to be a bias towards in-state students during admissions. Only 3 from IL in first class.