Interesting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dral

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thoughts? It seems like it could attract a few AMGs?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like it could be useful for someone who was previously a technologist or had prior knowledge in the field. However, interests definitely change in medical school. I could also see someone jumping ship in the middle of it too.

I’m guessing it’s also a way to improve the quality of their residency class. I imagine the only AMG who would want to go to a no name program in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania is either from there or had few other options. Shaving off the year might encourage a few to stay onboard.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wonderful! Now they will know less about clinical medicine than the smidgen we HOPE they know now. Call me a troglodyte but I never met a pathologist who was diminished
by a clinical background, even one year of a catagorical internship.

Reactions: 4 users
Wonderful! Now they will know less about clinical medicine than the smidgen we HOPE they know now. Call me a troglodyte but I never met a pathologist who was diminished
by a clinical background, even one year of a catagorical internship.
It would weed out some of the freaks, that’s for sure!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Unless you're one of those people who are dead-set on forensics, I can't imagine signing up for this.

The problem with this program is you are stuck going to a marginal path residency. If you are good and know you want to go into path early on may as well go to a top tier program.

Not worth saving one year to train at a crappy place

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking from the Canadian experience, there are some very sinister implications:
1) AP residency is 5 years in Canada and you write your exam in your 5th year. They just switched to a competency based model, and you can write your exam in 4th year. Yet residency length is not shortened, aka in your 5th year you are certified, yet have to work 1 year under resident salary. Guess what this means? you'll be signing out cases and frozens and taking all the risk doing so on a resident salary. Another point, under this model if you don't achieve your competency, your residency can be (?indefinitely) prolonged until you achieve competency. So basically there is no upward limit on how long a program can keep you there?
2) The article mentions the new model at Penn State will shorten training by 1 year and "Dr. Newell adds, “They’re going to get to their attending salary one year sooner than they would have, and that is not insignificant.”. I doubt this will be the case. I forsee that there will be increasing pressure to do an additional year of fellowship, so that extra year is again contributing to the workload as fellow (can sign out cases and get paid very little) rather than resident.
3) This Dr. Abendroth also claims "It’s definitely going to increase across-the-board awareness of what pathology is and how it contributes to patient care.” I disagree with this notion. Increasing awareness is achieved by more interaction with colleagues in other fields, so in that sense more clinical rotations in other fields are helpful. It's already unfortunate that US residency does not include a clinical year, and in Canada the clinical year is severely reduced in the new model, with more focus on pathology field itself. This is bad, as the esoteric nature of pathology already causes issue with isolation. If anything, I would advocate some clinical rotations in higher years (eg. a month of med onc clinic in PGY3 would significantly help the resident understanding how tumor staging affects treatment decisions, whereas PGY1's understanding of tumor staging is rather vague).

Reactions: 2 users
As a side question. How many of you think pathology should be a required clerkship as it’s so critically important to everything else in medicine but no one actually knows what the hell goes on in AP or CP?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
As a side question. How many of you think pathology should be a required clerkship as it’s so critically important to everything else in medicine but no one actually knows what the hell goes on in AP or CP?

Great idea. “Back in the day,” many, if not most, surgeons did 6-12 months of path. Yes, I am actually that f****** old!

Reactions: 1 user
Even just spending one full week in the path department would go a long way towards stopping inane phone calls from residents asking for prelim results on a biopsy that they literally took that morning.

Reactions: 3 users
If anything, I would advocate some clinical rotations in higher years (eg. a month of med onc clinic in PGY3 would significantly help the resident understanding how tumor staging affects treatment decisions, whereas PGY1's understanding of tumor staging is rather vague).
IMO this would be time well spent and much more valuable than an entire year of general medicine internship. A 3 month stint as a PGY3 or 4 working with heme onc is a great idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Even just spending one full week in the path department would go a long way towards stopping inane phone calls from residents asking for prelim results on a biopsy that they literally took that morning.

I would have been happy if they all understood the concept of tissue fixation!