Interesting story- chances of this persongetting into med-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spm47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The person in this situation had a 2.3 overall GPA at their first University. They transferred and finished with a 3.6 GPA at their new University as a Psych major (undergrad). There is a lot of power to their story. At their previous school this person struggled with opiate addiction. This began with a prescription and ended in a detox program. Their recovery is remarkable with multiple years of sobriety, commitment to NA/AA meetings, sponsorship, weekly volunteering, and speaking through commitments to give back to the addiction community. A new-found ambition was found through recovery and they excelled greatly in school. During addiction: 2.3 GPA, Post addiction 3.6 GPA. Cumulative: 3.05 GPA. This persons overall goal is to become a substance abusers psychiatrist, something they would excel greatly at especially after going through this themselves. This person would have an important role in helping saving the lives of those struggling with addiction. Considering this person does well on their MCAT, does this person have a chance at getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

The person in this situation had a 2.3 overall GPA at their first University. They transferred and finished with a 3.6 GPA at their new University as a Psych major (undergrad). There is a lot of power to their story. At their previous school this person struggled with opiate addiction. This began with a prescription and ended in a detox program. Their recovery is remarkable with multiple years of sobriety, commitment to NA/AA meetings, sponsorship, weekly volunteering, and speaking through commitments to give back to the addiction community. A new-found ambition was found through recovery and they excelled greatly in school. During addiction: 2.3 GPA, Post addiction 3.6 GPA. Cumulative: 3.05 GPA. This persons overall goal is to become a substance abusers psychiatrist, something they would excel greatly at especially after going through this themselves. This person would have an important role in helping saving the lives of those struggling with addiction. Considering this person does well on their MCAT, does this person have a chance at getting into medical school?

Yes. We had a guy come and speak at my school about mental health. He was a physician who also had opiate problems along with coke and some other drugs while he was 3rd year in medical school. He took a year off, went to rehab, got clean, finished 4th year, and got a residency position. He's now a nationally recognized physician in his field.

Some schools may see the app of the person you're describing and send it straight to the rejection pile, but if he/she has been sober for years, has worked to re-build their life, and has done their due diligence showing that they are prepared to go into medicine, there are places that would very likely give him/her a shot.

The person in this situation had a 2.3 overall GPA at their first University. ...does this person have a chance at getting into medical school?
It's okay to be yourself here (just stay anonymous). No one will condemn you for the real story.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are referring to ur self as this person?

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay to be yourself here (just stay anonymous). No one will condemn you for the real story.
It’s a hypothetic
Why are referring to ur self as this person?

I'm not, it's a hypothetical situation but still important. If I were saying this was my current situation I would be lying.

Last edited:
I don't see why that would matter regardless.
You signed up yesterday, on a premed forum (known to be just a bit over-the-top competitive), asking for honest opinions and we smell that it's your story (or a variance of).

It matters because you want us to be honest with you but you're not shooting square with us.

Reactions: 1 user
hypothetically, yes.

but would depend very much on sGPA, MCAT score, demonstration of clinical exposure and service to others, and a convincingly mature and coherent PS reflecting newfound maturity.

You signed up yesterday, on a premed forum (known to be just a bit over-the-top competitive), asking for honest opinions and we smell that it's your story (or a variance of).

It matters because you want us to be honest with you but you're not shooting square with us.
Like I said, it's a hypothetical scenario. If I said this was my situation I would be lying. I have a moral standard not to lie, thus detailing my original statement as such. There is no dishonesty in anything I have said.

hypothetically, yes.

but would depend very much on sGPA, MCAT score, demonstration of clinical exposure and service to others, and a convincingly mature and coherent PS reflecting newfound maturity.
Thank you.

I would think that "this person" should have a compelling personal statement. That being said, with the low GPA DO schools are more realistic for this person. There are MD schools that reward reinvention, and a great MCAT may get you some attention from some MD programs. It's hard to say without knowing the MCAT. If this hypothetical person has any arrests/convictions from this period of addiction that may change things.