Interesting Pediatric Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cundiff1080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I was wondering if there are some more unique fellowships that you find interesting. I'm just trying to explore my options moving forward. Some options of fellowships I've come up with that could be cool would be sports medicine (1 year), palliative care (1 year), clinical bioethics (2 years), sleep medicine (? years). Curious if there are any other interesting fellowship options out there! Curious to hear what you guys can come up with!

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics, Allergy/Immunology, Toxicology, Global Health, Clinical Pharmacology

Preventative Medicine is technically a residency but frequently done after a more clinical residency and functions more like a fellowship.

Global health has certainly been a thought of mine. Are the preventative medicine residencies for peds or adults? I wonder what a career would look like for someone with that extra training?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget child abuse pediatrics. There's a TON of community involvement, ranging from the courts to the legislature to teaching police and detectives as well as non pediatric community hospitals.

Reactions: 1 user
The super-fellowships I think are always interesting, but clearly a lot of work.

Neurocritical care (out of Neuro or CCM)
Any of the cardiac fellowships (heart failure/transplant, EP, CICU, advanced imaging)
There are a couple places that have created a Critical Care Nephrology year
Epileptology (out of Neuro)
Takes a little bit of effort, but Peds EM people can get accepted to Toxicology and Ultrasound years in the adult EM world. Funding can be a problem however.

Takes a little bit of effort, but Peds EM people can get accepted to Toxicology and Ultrasound years in the adult EM world. Funding can be a problem however.

Where I did peds residency they had a big tox fellowship at the major adult hospital nearby, and they accepted peds candidates outright, without having to do peds EM.

Yeah I think toxicology is open to any specialty, though on the AAMC website they say "most" have done something like IM, EM, Peds, FM or Occupational. Whether a program will accept you is different but I don't think funding would be an issue? Unless it's an institution specific thing.

Yeah I think toxicology is open to any specialty, though on the AAMC website they say "most" have done something like IM, EM, Peds, FM or Occupational. Whether a program will accept you is different but I don't think funding would be an issue? Unless it's an institution specific thing.

Funding for some of these non-ACGME fellowships can be challenging - I was exploring Emergency Medical Services/Transport Medicine fellowships (typically an adult EM fellowship) after my PICU fellowship for example. Some institutions had the funding for that fellowship through the VA (which was a problem for someone coming out of peds), others used the fellow as an ED attending and took the funding out of what they were able to bill (also a challenge to navigate different hospital billing departments), and at least one required the fellow to find a secondary job (the fellowship available at no cost but they also don't provide you with money to actually live on).

Interesting! Thanks.

Just going to put in a plug for child abuse fellowships. They are accredited so funding is not an issue, but it is 3 years. And it is super cool.