interesting article

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the main difference is that law school grads from the elite law schools(Harvard, yale, columbia, stanford, nyu, and 5-6 more) still have a lot of options at great starting salaries. The difference in opportunity for law grads from stanford vs a good state school is huge, and likewise the difference in opportunity vs a solid tier 1 state school(not Michigan, uVA, or berkeley) vs a tier 3 school is also huge.

In optometry, while the guy coming from Berkeley is in a better situation than the guy from Western or whatever, the difference isn't nearly as important.

I think the comparison between law and optometry is a not completely just.

While I see where you're coming from with the supply and demand issue, they are completely different fields. Optometry is a health-oriented profession. If someone cannot see clearly or have eye-related discomfort, whether they like it or not, eventually they will have to go see an optometrist/physician.

This isn't really the case with lawyers. Everyone knows lawyers are crazy expensive. So they are avoided by the general population like the plague.

PS. How funny would it be if these new law graduates are suing their alma maters so they have something to do on their free time? They literally have nothing to lose. Not like their getting paid to sit around doing nothing haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the comparison between law and optometry is a not completely just.

While I see where you're coming from with the supply and demand issue, they are completely different fields. Optometry is a health-oriented profession. If someone cannot see clearly or have eye-related discomfort, whether they like it or not, eventually they will have to go see an optometrist/physician.

This isn't really the case with lawyers. Everyone knows lawyers are crazy expensive. So they are avoided by the general population like the plague.

PS. How funny would it be if these new law graduates are suing their alma maters so they have something to do on their free time? They literally have nothing to lose. Not like their getting paid to sit around doing nothing haha

You have a lot to learn, my friend. I think the humor you see in this situation will be lost on you when you're in their position, a couple of hundred thousand dollars in debt, with no way to pay it back.

I know some good attorneys who can help you, whenever it is that you decide to sue your OD program for false advertising. I suspect that will start happening within the next 5 years or so, just in time for you and your future class.

Haha, I classify myself as part of the "general population" that would avoid lawyers like the plague. Guess I'm one little tiny part of the reason why some lawyers are out of jobs.

I've been lurking SDN for a little bit and read a few of your posts. To be completely fair, I don't think what you're saying is crap like some of the people on this forum do. I see where you are coming from. I just don't think it is as bad as you say it is. I'm not expecting to be making it rain green bills when I graduate. I am completely aware of the financial burden that comes with the ridiculously expensive tuition.

And before you call me out for being a dreamer, I live in Quebec, Canada. I have a huge advantage because when I go back to Canada, I can work in French-speaking Quebec. Also, I am Chinese. Gives me a slight advantage with the minority population. I'm confident I'll find my little niche in this profession that is becoming more and more corporation-controlled. Cheers.

Haha, I classify myself as part of the "general population" that would avoid lawyers like the plague. Guess I'm one little tiny part of the reason why some lawyers are out of jobs.

I've been lurking SDN for a little bit and read a few of your posts. To be completely fair, I don't think what you're saying is crap like some of the people on this forum do. I see where you are coming from. I just don't think it is as bad as you say it is. I'm not expecting to be making it rain green bills when I graduate. I am completely aware of the financial burden that comes with the ridiculously expensive tuition.

And before you call me out for being a dreamer, I live in Quebec, Canada. I have a huge advantage because when I go back to Canada, I can work in French-speaking Quebec. Also, I am Chinese. Gives me a slight advantage with the minority population. I'm confident I'll find my little niche in this profession that is becoming more and more corporation-controlled. Cheers.

If I had a dollar for every story that pretty much mimics yours, I'd be retired. There's no shortage of Canadians who come to the US to study optometry, but keep in mind that most of them stay in the US. If that points, in any way, to the fact that the US climate is better for optometry than Canada's, you're in big trouble.

I really feel bad for you guys. Sometimes, life experience is the only teacher that can get through to a student. Too bad it's such an expensive way to learn.

Thanks for the concern Jason K. Hopefully a few years down the road, I'll still be around this forum and don't eat my words. Until then, wish me luck.

..... Until then, wish me luck.

Unfortunately, all the luck in the world will not change the profession from it's course. Just remember, if you sign up for an OD, you were told what you were getting into.

Unfortunately, all the luck in the world will not change the profession from it's course. Just remember, if you sign up for an OD, you were told what you were getting into.

I'm not hoping to change the profession around. I'm not a visionary like that. I have very reasonable expectations for the future. If it turns out better than expected, great. If it turns out worse, I guess Jason K warned me on SDN.

This is kind of philosophical, but here's my 2 cents. In every profession, there will be people that succeed and people that fail. Some professions are generally more successful than others, but none are absolutely bound for failure; and conversely, none are bound for success. Frankly, money spent on education is money invested in the student, not the degree printed on a piece of paper. I am going to spend almost $200,000 betting that I will succeed. I'm not putting down $200,000 thinking optometry will carry me to the promise land. It is the latter mindset that leads to disappointment and miserable people.

Job opportunities are not as abundant as they once were when I first got out of school.
Private practice employment is becoming increasingly difficult to find and you'd be suprised corporate opportunities although they still exist are not accommodating everyone. Too many OD's looking for work FT PT and the compettion into retail/ commercial optometry has increased more than ever.
Looking at Optometry tuition cost plus living expenses - becomes a daunting task for future students and OD's. I'm not here to spread "gloom and doom" but evaluate your future carefully before you commit.

Our profession -leaders are certainly not helping the cause. "United we stand divided we fall." Trust me folks, we become divided more than ever.

Good Luck to all of you. Optometry IMO is no longer a comftable profession...$$$$$