Interested in OBGYN but hate surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer during a search. It seems most people who do OBGYN either have no problem with or actually like surgery.

I have been interested in OBGYN since MS1 and took an active role in my schools interest groups, did a lot of shadowing, etc. I've always kept it set aside with a few other specialties as having real potential to end up being what I choose. I love the physiology of the reproductive system, maternal-fetal physiology and the physiological changes in pregnancy and the special considerations one must thinking about in say, Graves Disease or hypothyroidism.

Before MS3 I thought it would be nice to have that surgery/medicine divide, but my surgery rotation has really confused me. I loathe everything about surgery (I've written posts on this before but suffice to say Im not a fan of the OR). I am now on my OBGYN rotation and am absolutely loving it. I am in a clinic and I enjoy every visit from an easy return OB to post menopausal bleeding. Like I said, I love the physiology and the pathology but Im also learning that I like the female patient population. They tend to care more especially when it involves their baby. They tend to want to take care of themselves and work with you (there are exceptions) and are more polite and nice.

My questions are the following: If I love the phys and path of OBGYN but hate surgery would I survive residency? Can you begin to do less surgery as you get further along in residency? Also, what future practice setting or subspecialties could I do that involve no major surgical procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an OB, but while we wait for others who are more qualified to comment, have you considered doing Family Medicine at a program that has a women's health or OB track? That route might make it easier to focus on the clinic side of ob/gyn without having to power through years of hysterectomies and laparoscopies in an OB/gyn residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an OB, but while we wait for others who are more qualified to comment, have you considered doing Family Medicine at a program that has a women's health or OB track? That route might make it easier to focus on the clinic side of ob/gyn without having to power through years of hysterectomies and laparoscopies in an OB/gyn residency.
Thats a great idea and one that I had not even though about. I'll have to read up on that option.

Members don't see this ad :)
My questions are the following: If I love the phys and path of OBGYN but hate surgery would I survive residency? Can you begin to do less surgery as you get further along in residency? Also, what future practice setting or subspecialties could I do that involve no major surgical procedures?

It sounds like family medicine is something that would be more what you are looking for, like the other poster mentioned. You can also do OB fellowships after family med if you really want to focus solely on labor and delivery. As OB residency programs progress you actually spend much MORE time in the OR. There's a lot that can be done in clinic that's procedure based but OBGYN is definitely a surgical specialty.

It sounds like family medicine is something that would be more what you are looking for, like the other poster mentioned. You can also do OB fellowships after family med if you really want to focus solely on labor and delivery. As OB residency programs progress you actually spend much MORE time in the OR. There's a lot that can be done in clinic that's procedure based but OBGYN is definitely a surgical specialty.

I think that the above is great advice. For me, I love surgery much more now that I am doing it.