Interested in Medical School in Northern India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryanbeep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm an NRI (born in Punjab, raised in America since the age of 3) from California, USA and I'm interested in going to Medical School in Northern India. Right now I'm on track to transfer from community college to UCBerkeley, though only about 6 months into my freshmen year, but I have recently become more knowledgable about going to India. It is very likely that I am going to India. So I was wondering if I could get some questions answers and input about this decision.

1. It is very difficult to attain a good residency in the U.S. even if you score high on the USMLE steps. Even based on that, I am willing to go to India. Prior to my decision to go to India, I wanted to go into the fields of Radiation Therapy and Radiology. What are the chances of that now? Also what are most of the common residencies an IMG can get?

2. I have read several threads about the life of a NRI Medical Student... Some not so good and some good varying from the colleges of SRMC and AIIMS to Manipal. I am likely to stick to northern India in the regions of Haryana/Himachal Pradesh/Punjab/Delhi. Having said that, I'd assume that student and cultural life will be different than that of the other regions of India. Could some of you please enlighten me on this topic?

3. This question has probably been asked several many times, but are all these statements about ragging really true? Hazing occurs in the U.S., even though that deals with more giving consent, how likely is hazing to occur at a prestigous Medical College? I would assume most students there to be geeks/hard working students rather than illogical/dumb-witted tools.

4. In high school I went from a somewhat eager and last minute learning AP/Honors student to an even more lazy and faineant student. I went from having a 4.1 gpa to a 2.8 gpa or some sorts before I graduated. I understand the mistakes I made and currently in my community college I have a 3.9 with about 30-35 semester units under my belt. I will admit I feel very low asking this question, but it is something I need to know. From reading several posts on this section of the forum I have seen that many people point to buying your seat/paying capitation fees for your NRI seat. Believe me, I understand buying your way into college is one of the most unethical things a person can do, but I really wouldn't mind taking an entrance exam test to prove my intelligence. Having already claimed my high school academic hardships and that fact that NRI seats are mostly based on high school grades... where would this put me? Do people really buy their seats under the table?

5. When I spoke with my grandfather a few days ago about deciding to go to Med School in India he told me that I should have told him that 6 months ago as he had already gotten me seats in several colleges where he had connections. He told me his doctor friends at these institutions had already made arrangements for me, but by me forwarding my message not to go to India through my parents he canceled all reservations. Though he was quite vague on the subject, how true could his statements be about having already gotten me a seat through acquaintances in these colleges be? (Just a little curious about this one)

I still have a few more questions on my mind, but I'll let these questions be my introduction for now. Thanks to all those who reply!

Members don't see this ad.