Interested in joining the military... suggestions please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Military life has always been fascinating to me. I will, without a doubt, be joining the military within the next few years. Question is, which branch? I've narrowed it down to either the Navy or the Airforce. I am slightly hearing impaired (hereditary) so hopefully I will be allowed entry into one of these. I will enlist after completing my associates degree (I currently am attending school full-time, and working full-time). My current line of work is in orthotics, I noticed on the Airforce website that they have an orthotic apprenticeship. I would actually like to try something else out, perhaps something where I'm not restricted to merely an office setting... perhaps doing a lot in hospitals etc., I also noticed the EMT position, thoughts on that? I am aware that my choices are limited as an enlistee but any help on pointing me in the right direction (in terms of literature, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Haven't read any of the stickies yet, but will do so soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Just my two cents but talk to an Air Force recruiter about the 4NOX1 career. It is the Aerospace Medical Service Technician job (medic) and has several different specialties that you can go into later. You will also get national certification as an EMT (NREMT-B). Your prior schooling can get you more rank/pay as well if you qualify. I have been in that career field for ten years now and I have more acronyms and certifications in my signature block than I know what to do with. I hope to use all that great training to further my career. :thumbup: :D Good Luck and feel free to PM me for details.
fpr85 said:
Military life has always been fascinating to me. I will, without a doubt, be joining the military within the next few years. Question is, which branch? I've narrowed it down to either the Navy or the Airforce. I am slightly hearing impaired (hereditary) so hopefully I will be allowed entry into one of these. I will enlist after completing my associates degree (I currently am attending school full-time, and working full-time). My current line of work is in orthotics, I noticed on the Airforce website that they have an orthotic apprenticeship. I would actually like to try something else out, perhaps something where I'm not restricted to merely an office setting... perhaps doing a lot in hospitals etc., I also noticed the EMT position, thoughts on that? I am aware that my choices are limited as an enlistee but any help on pointing me in the right direction (in terms of literature, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.