Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school we have a major called "Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences, Health Professions Track". I'm considering changing my major to this because the required courses are all interesting to me, so it would eliminate me having to take courses that would bore me to death (geology, ecology, etc). Moreover, it is designed for premedical students so that all the requirements are met for medical school, that way I won't have to go out of my way to take extra courses.

This major sounds perfect for me, but how will medical schools see it? There isn't really much you can do with the degree as far as careers straight out of college. It seems to me like a major slapped together to assist premedical students. I've heard medical schools don't really care too much what you major in, I just want to be sure this isn't going to hurt my chances somehow.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. :)

Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a great major if you are heading straight to med school. If you aren't, then I would think about a back up plan. As far as med schools being particular on a major, I don't think that ever happens. As long as you have the pre-reqs, you'll be fine. And med schools love diversity so with all your extra time (cuz your not in ecology class) you can take some interesting courses that might set you apart from other applicants (like a foreign language).

And med schools love diversity so with all your extra time (cuz your not in ecology class)

Haha, I didn't say it would be easy! But at least I would be interested in what I'm studying.