Inter service relationships/HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaduceusDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Just got accepted for a Navy HPSP, and haven't signed anything yet. However, one thing that's weighing heavily is that I'm currently dating a girl that's doing an AF HPSP. Now, I'm still a few years from graduation, but what happens if we decide to get married (which, admittedly, will be several years away as well)? I've been hearing from other HPSP students that the residencies are really getting integrated, but the bases still aren't, and I know of darn few AF and Navy bases near each other. Would we both be "on our own" in terms of career/deployments/residencies, or is there someway that we could get assigned close to each other?

Obviously, something I'd like to work out before I sign the next 10 or so years away.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CaduceusDO said:
Hey everyone
Just got accepted for a Navy HPSP, and haven't signed anything yet. However, one thing that's weighing heavily is that I'm currently dating a girl that's doing an AF HPSP. Now, I'm still a few years from graduation, but what happens if we decide to get married (which, admittedly, will be several years away as well)? I've been hearing from other HPSP students that the residencies are really getting integrated, but the bases still aren't, and I know of darn few AF and Navy bases near each other. Would we both be "on our own" in terms of career/deployments/residencies, or is there someway that we could get assigned close to each other?

Obviously, something I'd like to work out before I sign the next 10 or so years away.

Thanks!

All the folks I know in your situation ended up transferring services to be in the same one. I know there are Army/AF and Army/Navy integrated residencies, but I'm not sure about Navy/AF.

Why wouldn't you just save your self all the headache and do AF HPSP. I mean if you are going to do HPSP at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you stay in the Navy and she in the AF, you will unlikely be together till you finish your commitments. Either go AF, and still it will be difficult depending on your specialties, or stay civilian and follow her around. Read the pro/con posts very carefully.

The AF HPSP turned me down, cuz i had asthma about 15 years ago. Apparently there are different standards for the Navy.

Then go to a normal medical school get good training in the civilian world, and if you still want to go in, they will gladly take you under FAP when you are a trained physician. If military medicine still exists then.

Galo said:
Then go to a normal medical school get good training in the civilian world, and if you still want to go in, they will gladly take you under FAP when you are a trained physician. If military medicine still exists then.

The Air Force still wouldn't take him due to the asthma. I'm surprised that you were actually accepted for the Navy. I thought asthma was an automatic disqualifier.

backrow said:
The Air Force still wouldn't take him due to the asthma. I'm surprised that you were actually accepted for the Navy. I thought asthma was an automatic disqualifier.
With so many scholarships going untaken, I'm sure the Navy's a little more free with the waivers these days.

OP - the military will give absolutely no consideration to you whatsoever unless you're married. A few couples in my USUHS class got married to each other, and all of them moved so that they'd be in the same service. Even then, at least one spent some time apart while one went straight through to residency and the other did a GMO tour.