Integrated Vascular Surgery Interviews/Rejections 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome! Did you do an away rotation there?

Nope, I didn't. The only away rotation I did was at the Methodist Debakey Cardiovascular Center in Houston, and I'm fairly confident that I got a strong LOR from there.

*Edit* Also got an invite from University of Buffalo today (11/4).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi every one ,and good luck to all in this match.my question dose any one have any informations about Southern Illinois University-integrated vascular surgery,how is it the program.number of available spots, when the iv will start, ?thank you:):):)

hi every one , i found this link on search,please keep it active, and post your experience on integrated vascular surgery programs iv,,,,,:):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi every one ,and good luck to all in this match.my question dose any one have any informations about Southern Illinois University-integrated vascular surgery,how is it the program.number of available spots, when the iv will start, ?thank you:):):)

I know that there is only one position available. They had actually told me earlier in the year that they weren't going to be accepting anyone for this upcoming year because they had lost their funding, so I was quite surprised to see that they are now up and sending out interviews.

Heard back from Allegheny yesterday (11/9).

I know that there is only one position available. They had actually told me earlier in the year that they weren't going to be accepting anyone for this upcoming year because they had lost their funding, so I was quite surprised to see that they are now up and sending out interviews.

Heard back from Allegheny yesterday (11/9).
hi thank you for reply, did you how many applicants for thier spot ?and the other Q did you hear any thing from MCGAW medical center.or Dartmouth hitchocock medical center,did they send thier iv...............thank you again

Heard from Dartmouth today, NW said to expect an email in the next week or so for a Jan 22nd date. Rochester pulled out of the match and has taken an internal candidate.

Invites:

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University of Pittsburgh
University of Arkansas
University of Cincinnati
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Good Samaritan
Yale
Mt. Sinai
USF
Indiana University
University of Mass.
Southern Illinois University
Cleveland Clinic
Allegheny
Dartmouth
Stony brook
Stanford
University of Buffalo

Rejects:

Rochester not in the match anymore

Waiting on:
Arizona
Alabama
Lennox hill
Northwestern
UNC
Penn state

Last edited:
Heard back from UNC-Chapel Hill today. (11/16)

The date for Lenox Hill will be sometime in early February. Northwestern sent out invites last Thursday (I didn't get one, but I heard about it from other applicants).

For those who are interviewing for the Integrated Vascular programs, I'm curious as to what students are looking for in a "good" program, or alternatively what are you trying to avoid. Are there things that stand out as particularly impressive with any particular program? I ask, because when I matched into vascular, the training paradigm was only 5+2 and I think the mentality was totally different.

In the pre-endovascular era, it was all about the big open cases--thoraco-abdominal aneurysm, renal bypass, mesenteric bypass, etc. Then in the late 90's, it was all about the endo experience--endovascular AAA volume, carotid stenting, TEVAR, and access to investigational devices.

What are potential vascular surgeons looking for in a program these days?

i'm scheduled for an interview on dec 10 at cleveland clinic, if anyone that has the jan 21st date can trade me, i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

Hey everyone. I am going to be entering into med school next fall and I have a lot of interest in this specialty. I realize that it is a tad early to be worrying about residencies but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I just have a few questions about this type of program.

What is the general vibe that you guys are getting on how difficult it is to match to one of these programs since the spots are so limited? Are there a lot of people applying which would make crazy-good board scores a must? Do they look for a lot of research? Are these types of programs on the rise and will there be more popping up in the next few years?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what I need to do in med school if it does turn out that this is definitely what I want to do. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isolated to Step 1/Step 2, what kind of ballpark are you people getting interviews to all the places? Im a M3 and just wondering if it's worth my while. I'm interested in the good sam/UC area, specifically. I'd do GS + Vasc fellowship as well, not a problem.

For those who are interviewing for the Integrated Vascular programs, I'm curious as to what students are looking for in a "good" program, or alternatively what are you trying to avoid. Are there things that stand out as particularly impressive with any particular program? I ask, because when I matched into vascular, the training paradigm was only 5+2 and I think the mentality was totally different.

In the pre-endovascular era, it was all about the big open cases--thoraco-abdominal aneurysm, renal bypass, mesenteric bypass, etc. Then in the late 90's, it was all about the endo experience--endovascular AAA volume, carotid stenting, TEVAR, and access to investigational devices.

What are potential vascular surgeons looking for in a program these days?

As for myself, I'm looking for a program with a good mix of open and endovascular cases, a large case volume load, and supportive faculty. I also want to try to make sure that the integrated program hasn't ruffled the feathers of too many general surgery and IR peeps. I would prefer to live in a larger city (I'm just a big city gal, can't help it..). I'm also going with my "gut feeling" as silly as that might sound.

There are minor differences between programs that I've seen-mainly how they split up the general surgery months, how/if they set up rotations in cardiology/nephrology/hematology/vascular medicine, or if research is required. As far as endo vs open, most programs have told me either 50/50 or 60% endo vs 40% open. And case load numbers have been pretty comparable.

There are always more programs on the rise. UW just got approved and is now on ERAS, and I hear USC also just got approved but is not taking applicants for this year. I know that just in Texas, there are at least 2 programs looking to get approved next year. Most program directors think that the number of vascular surgery fellowships will decrease as the integrated residencies increase in number.

As far as Step 1 and Step 2, I made 99/99,and I would venture a guess that most applicants are in that bracket. I don't feel comfortable posting the exact numbers on here, but PM me if you have a burning desire to know. I don't know exactly how competitive it is because I'm only an applicant and I don't know what the other applicants look like on paper, but I can assure you that it's definitely not as bad as derm, plastic surgery, or ENT.

Research always helps; I didn't know that I was interested in vascular surgery until this summer, so I didn't have a chance to do much, but I'm working on a few projects right now. It goes to show that you have an invested interest in the field.

By the way, can I just say that I'm a bit miffed that Cleveland Clinic offered me a late interview invite for only Dec. 10th? I already have another interview scheduled that day that I already bought tickets for, so I'll have to miss it. :(

Invites:

University of Pittsburgh
University of Arkansas
University of Cincinnati
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Good Samaritan
Yale
Mt. Sinai
USF
Indiana University
University of Mass.
Cleveland Clinic
Allegheny
Dartmouth
Stony brook
Stanford
University of Buffalo
UNC
Lennox Hill (date TBA)
Penn State (1/12, 2/4)
Northwestern

Rejects:

Waiting on:
Arizona
Alabama
University of Washington

Hey everyone. I am going to be entering into med school next fall and I have a lot of interest in this specialty. I realize that it is a tad early to be worrying about residencies but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I just have a few questions about this type of program.

What is the general vibe that you guys are getting on how difficult it is to match to one of these programs since the spots are so limited? Are there a lot of people applying which would make crazy-good board scores a must? Do they look for a lot of research? Are these types of programs on the rise and will there be more popping up in the next few years?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what I need to do in med school if it does turn out that this is definitely what I want to do. Thanks for the help.
Warning- in an effort to try to avoid studying and being productive, I decided to write a long response to your questions. Other readers, please correct me where I'm wrong. Enjoy!

Board scores need to be good. I don't think Step 1/Step 2 scores necessarily have to go into the range that you see for integrated plastics for RIGHT NOW but they need to be at least above the national average. However, I think in a few years, you'll see vascular follow similarly to integrated plastics in terms of competitiveness, increasing program numbers, and applicant numbers. As the newer programs start graduating their residents into productive vascular surgeons and demonstrating that this model of training can work, you'll likely start seeing increased numbers of programs, but at the same time, many more applicants which translates to more competitive CV's. I think that this is where the field will be trending towards by the time you'll get to fourth year.

As for what you might want to do to plan for a possible career- most applicants will need a letter from a vascular surgeon- and preferably from the chairman or a well known attending. Of course, this means that you would have done some time in a vascular rotation- be it an away elective, as part of your core, your Sub-I, etc... Keep this in mind when you start figuring out your third year schedule. Find a mentor in the Vascular Dept early and get some groundwork into basic research going. I recommend Vascularweb.org as a great resource to start off getting to know the field as a medical student.

I think having multiple published or significant research/presentations in Vascular or Cardiovascular Surgery will be commonplace on most matched applicants' CV's in a few years- if they aren't already. A study by Stanford, one of the oldest integrated vascular programs in the country, seems to suggest that successful applicants tended to have a strong research background with publications, amongst a variety of other academic and personal traits. That study suggested that applicants offered interviews to integrated programs had profiles similar to Top GS applicants. Read the article with a grain of salt but suffice it to say, if you're interested in the field- you've gotta work hard for it. It'll be nice for you starting out now, believe it or not, since you'll have time to build your application with better foresight- for many of us, a good chunk of these programs and the new training model itself kind of emerged halfway through med school. Take home message- Start early!
(http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/su...oiceId=showPublication&pubid=4520233&fid=5927)

WARNING- A lot of numbers and pseudo math below, could be boring
------------
Lastly, in reference to your questions about numbers and how difficult it will be to apply and so forth, I suggest reading through some of NRMP's released data about the match per specialty - (http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html) The numbers for 2010 doesn't seem too ridiculous but every subsequent year probably gets more competitive. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 2011 ratio of overall US applicants to Vascular spots probably increased, despite implementation of new programs this year.

Umass released a study in 2009 that queried AAMC for full applicant numbers, which revealed that there were a total of 152 Vascular applicants that year and from that pool, only 32 US seniors were interviewed for one of the 19 positions. Ultimately, 88% of ALL integrated vascular applicants did not match into vascular. Looking at 2009's Results and Data for the Match, 32 US seniors ranked 19 positions at 17 hospitals a total of 166 times (At least 166 interviews given out for US Seniors, with each of them making it to their respective rank order lists [ROL])- It's roughly about 5-6 interviews per applicant (166 ranks/32 interviewees). That year, only 15 US Seniors matched of the 32- (Although to be more accurate, 8 applicants of the 32 ranked vascular as a second choice specialty, effectively removing them from vascular match pool) --> That leaves 24 US Seniors in the mix, with only 15 matching. <-- (15/24 US Seniors end up matching) or ~ 60%

2010 had 39 US Seniors that ranked 21 vascular positions at 20 hospitals about 316 times (at least 316 interviews given out). I'll assume that most people interviewed at least 8-10 times (316 ranks/39 applicants-quite an increase) and ultimately of the 39, 19 matched (although to be fair, it seems that 9 applicants of the 39 most likely took themselves out of the match pool by ranking vascular second preference)--> so it's more like (19/30 US seniors match) ~ 60%

So if you make it to the interview stage, it seems like 60% will match. Of note- although the numbers in terms of match percentages has been relatively stable the last two years at around 60% if you're a MD Senior, it does not reflect total applicant numbers, which likely exceeds 2009's figures. More importantly, the most noticeable change from 2009 to 2010 and also likely to continue through to 2011, is the doubling of vascular programs (166 to 316) making it to the final rank list. Since there hasn't been a drastic doubling of PGY1 positions overnight, or any significant relative change in the number of ranking applicants in 2010 (39 students) relative to 2009 (32 students), the doubling of vascular programs making it to ROL's is a probably an indicator that recent applicants are getting twice as many interviews as before and likely reflects an increasing caliber of students.

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19958993)

Anyhow, if you're interested in it, you can definitely find the right venues to go about finding out if it's the field for you. Good luck! Hope the information here was at least somewhat accurate and if not, please point them out.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your response. It was very helpful.

I am actually getting somewhat of a head start on research right now. During my year off I'm currently working on a retrospective study with an interventional cardiologist/vascular surgeon looking at all of our hospital's carotid stents which we are hoping (and I emphasize hoping) will get published. So hopefully that can serve as a spring board into my potential career as a vascular surgeon.

Northwestern! What I find odd though is that in their rejection email they say that over 100 people applied for their 1 spot and in the Stanford invite email about 60+ people applied for their 1 spot, meaning that 40+ vascular applicants didn't apply to Stanford. I'm not quite getting the logic, unless that many people dislike Stanford, California, Palo Alto, or SF...

Northwestern! What I find odd though is that in their rejection email they say that over 100 people applied for their 1 spot and in the Stanford invite email about 60+ people applied for their 1 spot, meaning that 40+ vascular applicants didn't apply to Stanford. I'm not quite getting the logic, unless that many people dislike Stanford, California, Palo Alto, or SF...

I also wonder if they are only interviewing like 5 people because people who are getting every other interview were rejected...

But I think it just means they stopped reviewing apps after 60 at Stanford and after 100 at NW, because other programs said with IMGs the real number of apps is around 300

I think I've met some of you guys on the interview trail already- Hello! Hope things are going well for everybody.

I know earlier in this thread, there was a discussion about magic numbers of places to interview. My thoughts about this (and related things): I've been fairly surprised at the number of candidates that some of these programs have been interviewing- for even 1 spot! For example, at a recent interview at an institution that has 1 available spot, there were ~20 interviewees present with another interview day still to come. 40 interviewees for 1 spot? Kind of scary to think about. Then again, I've been to an institution that interviewed just 6 people on my day with one more interview day to come. Not sure how to think about that though... I know they have 2 strong internal candidates. Maybe the few number of interviewees means they kind of have their mind made up on one of the internal candidates?

But in an attempt to think more positively, I think the number of applicants (60+, 100+, etc) need not scare us. From earlier posts, it looks like members of this thread are the kinds of candidates that every vascular program is considering (virtually no rejections!). Additionally, I'm sure you guys will agree that at these interviews, we see the same faces over and over again. So while the total number of applicants is scary, I think throughout the country, it's a smaller group of applicants that programs are actually considering. So most of us (fingers crossed) may actually end up vascular surgeons!

I do however think that even this smaller group of applicants well exceeds the number of available spots... which is a shame. So many of the vascular applicants seem like superb candidates.

Internal candidates... from what I've seen, there's almost 1 at every institution. I think it's a good thing for me to see- students who spent an extended amount of time with the vascular department still want to do vascular. Must mean something is good. At the same time, I wonder how realistic my chances would be at an institution with a strong candidate that wants to stay. I've been trying to get a feel for that on my interviews so far, particularly when I have a chance to speak with the program directors. It's been... kind of hilarious.

Me: "I think most of us on the interview trail agree that the other students we meet for vascular interviews are great. I think its a good friendly group of applicants.

PD: "Yea, that's great to hear. They will be your colleagues for the rest of your life."

Me: "Oh! I met one of the candidates from this institution as well, ____! Really nice guy, seemed like a very strong candidate."

PD: "Yea, ____ is great."

*..... uncomfortable smiles and nods.*

Hahaha. Well, wish all of you the best! Almost there! Happy holidays!

Invites:

University of Pittsburgh
University of Arkansas
University of Cincinnati
University of Wisconsin
Georgetown
Good Samaritan
Yale
Mt. Sinai
USF
Indiana University
University of Mass.
Cleveland Clinic
Allegheny
Dartmouth
Stony brook
Stanford
University of Buffalo
UNC
Lennox Hill (date TBA)
Penn State (1/12, 2/4)
Northwestern
Alabama (1/10, 1/31)

Rejects:

Waiting on:
Arizona

University of Washington[/QUOTE]

I think I've met some of you guys on the interview trail already- Hello! Hope things are going well for everybody.

I know earlier in this thread, there was a discussion about magic numbers of places to interview. My thoughts about this (and related things): I've been fairly surprised at the number of candidates that some of these programs have been interviewing- for even 1 spot! For example, at a recent interview at an institution that has 1 available spot, there were ~20 interviewees present with another interview day still to come. 40 interviewees for 1 spot? Kind of scary to think about. Then again, I've been to an institution that interviewed just 6 people on my day with one more interview day to come. Not sure how to think about that though... I know they have 2 strong internal candidates. Maybe the few number of interviewees means they kind of have their mind made up on one of the internal candidates?

But in an attempt to think more positively, I think the number of applicants (60+, 100+, etc) need not scare us. From earlier posts, it looks like members of this thread are the kinds of candidates that every vascular program is considering (virtually no rejections!). Additionally, I'm sure you guys will agree that at these interviews, we see the same faces over and over again. So while the total number of applicants is scary, I think throughout the country, it's a smaller group of applicants that programs are actually considering. So most of us (fingers crossed) may actually end up vascular surgeons!

I do however think that even this smaller group of applicants well exceeds the number of available spots... which is a shame. So many of the vascular applicants seem like superb candidates.

Internal candidates... from what I've seen, there's almost 1 at every institution. I think it's a good thing for me to see- students who spent an extended amount of time with the vascular department still want to do vascular. Must mean something is good. At the same time, I wonder how realistic my chances would be at an institution with a strong candidate that wants to stay. I've been trying to get a feel for that on my interviews so far, particularly when I have a chance to speak with the program directors. It's been... kind of hilarious.

Me: "I think most of us on the interview trail agree that the other students we meet for vascular interviews are great. I think its a good friendly group of applicants.

PD: "Yea, that's great to hear. They will be your colleagues for the rest of your life."

Me: "Oh! I met one of the candidates from this institution as well, ____! Really nice guy, seemed like a very strong candidate."

PD: "Yea, ____ is great."

*..... uncomfortable smiles and nods.*

Hahaha. Well, wish all of you the best! Almost there! Happy holidays!

I have been worried about this. I'm applying for the 2012 match from a med-school with no integrated program.

Have you gotten the sense that the programs have been predominantly taking internal applicants with their initial resident picks? My hope is that PDs would balk at doing this year after year for fear of scaring off future applicants.

could someone PM me if they have interviewed at lennox hill? I have some questions about this program that are quasi pressing

I have been worried about this. I'm applying for the 2012 match from a med-school with no integrated program.

Have you gotten the sense that the programs have been predominantly taking internal applicants with their initial resident picks? My hope is that PDs would balk at doing this year after year for fear of scaring off future applicants.

In terms of the current vascular surgery residents, I don't think I've seen any that are home institution medical students yet... which is pretty reassuring. That being said, the 0+5 track was still very new in years past, and I'm told that the number of applicants is growing exponentially every year.

I guess as a non-internal candidate, it becomes very important who are your letter writers/mentors. Vascular Surgery is a small field where everyone knows everyone. I am always asked about how so and so from my home institution is doing. While true for any specialty, I think having a strong letter from a well known person in the field is particularly important for vascular surgery.

I think the other thing to consider is that these internal candidates may not want to stay at their home institution and go somewhere else. Keeping this in mind, I'm sure that PDs definitely take serious looks at all the applicants they choose to interview... I hope. :p

In terms of the current vascular surgery residents, I don't think I've seen any that are home institution medical students yet... which is pretty reassuring. That being said, the 0+5 track was still very new in years past, and I'm told that the number of applicants is growing exponentially every year.

I guess as a non-internal candidate, it becomes very important who are your letter writers/mentors. Vascular Surgery is a small field where everyone knows everyone. I am always asked about how so and so from my home institution is doing. While true for any specialty, I think having a strong letter from a well known person in the field is particularly important for vascular surgery.

I think the other thing to consider is that these internal candidates may not want to stay at their home institution and go somewhere else. Keeping this in mind, I'm sure that PDs definitely take serious looks at all the applicants they choose to interview... I hope. :p
I agree with this. Actually, one thing I've noticed in interviews in integrated vascular, and general surgery is that many programs are not huge proponents of inbreeding. This often goes for Med students going into residencies and residents going into fellowships. Granted I've noticed that this occurs more in state programs in which the majority of students and applicants are local and have been local forever but for the most part, it seems that many programs generally want to consider outside applicants as significantly as internal ones. This is all heresay of course but this seems to be a trend and even directly answered when I ask GS programs with well known fellowships if they take their own.

Does anybody know if Northwestern has more than one date they are interviewing in January, and if so, what they are? I know they have one on 1/22, but any others?

fyi- if you call arizona they will tell you whether or not you will be invited for an interview ("the yes pile") They are trying to figure out dates and said they will be sending out emails in the next few days. One possible date is Feb 4th the other is going to be sometime in Jan

Any of you guys run into any DO's on the interview trails? Would being a DO be a big disadvantage in getting integrated vascular interviews?
Haven't run across any yet. Can't say whether or not DO will have any effect on it but remains to be seen thus far. I've seen DO vascular fellows though so your best bet would be to seek integrated programs with DO fellows, at least to begin with.

For those interviewing this year, how important do you think is having a research experience/pubs in vascular surgery? Anyone decided late on VS like myself and were able to put together a competitive application without research in the field?

I'm considering applying this fall.
US grad. 99 Step 1. Non-AOA. Honors in surgery. Top 10 school with no home program.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

For those interviewing this year, how important do you think is having a research experience/pubs in vascular surgery? Anyone decided late on VS like myself and were able to put together a competitive application without research in the field?

I'm considering applying this fall.
US grad. 99 Step 1. Non-AOA. Honors in surgery. Top 10 school with no home program.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

You have to consider what having research experience in vascular surgery demonstrates. To a program director it shows that you have taken time to explore all aspects of the field besides the surgical ones. 0+5 programs are deathly afraid of losing a resident who decides all of a sudden they really don't want to do vascular after all because most of these places only have 1 resident each year. Losing 1 would create a huge gaping hole. So they want to be sure that when they take you, chances are you'll stay. So exploring the field through research, amongst other things, can make you a lot more competitive.

I decided late in my 3rd year that I wanted to do vascular and I had already done research in other fields and it really pained me to think I'd have to take on another project in the midst of my other extracurriculars. But given I really didn't have much vascular experience I didn't want to give schools a reason to ding me. I started working on a vascular project just 3 months before application season. I know of others who matched at top programs who decided on their interest late and scrambled to find a project right before applications. Consider that by the time you interview your research may have progressed much further than when you submitted applications. I'm actually really glad I did get involved because it gave me more vascular-related things to talk about during my interviews.

You don't have to publish, you just need to get involved somehow. You're actually ahead of the game! You have ~9 months! In addition to, or in lieu of research, you should also consider attending the Society for Vascular Surgery annual meeting. They have some student scholarships to attend the meeting. Also try to find a vascular surgeon as a mentor, whether they be at your school or elsewhere. At this point the programs are so competitive that its best to shore up any potential holes in your application. With good board scores and coming from a top school you already have a running start. But trust me, that's not all they want!

Hey folks, best of luck to those who are participating in the Integrated Vascular match this year!

M3 here, I just had a couple questions I was hoping to get some perspective on if you have a moment...(I'll try to keep it brief)
1) Competitiveness: Didn't honor my 3rd year surg clerkship (in fact, have not honored anything throughout med school), but consistently strong evals/LOR's (didn't rock the shelf). Step 1: 230. Significant backgrd in basic research in vascular surgery (in undergrad and btw 1st and 2nd yr). Looking to get involved with clinical research stuff now. I'm thinking of trying to take Step 2 early and doing a Sub-I w/ my home vascular surg (no prgrm) and busting my butt to Honor that. Any other tips? Anyone do aways at these Vascular programs? w/ these step 1 and grades, anyone feel like that i even have a chance at making the cut at places like Stanford, Northwestern, MSSM? (I look perhaps just on par, per the Stanford 0+5 vs. Harbor Gsurg paper.)

2) Applying to programs: So, there're 25 programs now. Perhaps a couple more next year? Did you (current applicants) apply to all of them? or just programs you found more attractive? Did your advisers have any comments on this? Also, any of you concerned about the lack of GSurg training/board eligibility? My guess is that many vascular surgeons today get boarded, then never renew, and just renew Vascular surg anyway, but since this is new, anyone concerned about the career potential of never fully training in general surgery?

3) Logistics of applying to Gsurg too: Along the same lines, are you applying to both 0+5 and GSurg programs? What has your attitude been towards GSurg (I like aspects of the breadth of training)? Will you be ranking: 1) Vasc, 2) Vasc, 3) Vasc, 4) GSurg, 5) GSurg...etc? Or will some GSurg programs make it above certain vascular programs?
Basically, did you write 2 PS's, and if Vascular Surgeons wrote you LOR's, did they write one that spoke towards GSurg and one that spoke towards Vascular Surg? Wondering how exactly to do this...

Thanks!

1) Competitiveness:
You are competitive. It doesn't take honoring everything in medical school to be competitive on this trail. A vascular intern just recently told me he did average on the boards and the only honors in medical school was in psych and he matched. I think its more a matter of how interested you are in vascular. If you have basic science research in the field you already have a running start. In terms of what to do to increase your competitiveness I would do an AI at my home institution IF the vascular surgeons there are well known in the field. In addition to doing your home school AI you should do an away rotation at the places you think you want to go to. It can get hard to schedule and is stressful, but you can get letters that will help you from big names by doing that. But get on it early, spots fill up quickly and the whole process starts at different times for different schools.

2) Applying to programs:
I applied to every vascular program (about 28 now I think...) other people applied geographically, others didn't apply to any community programs. Its up to you and depends on what you want, but I wanted to optimize my chances and applied to them all. That being said I also got interviews at most of them which became stressful in itself. I ended up canceling 6-7 interviews on the pure basis of time/travel.

Also, any of you concerned about the lack of GSurg training/board eligibility? My guess is that many vascular surgeons today get boarded, then never renew, and just renew Vascular surg anyway, but since this is new, anyone concerned about the career potential of never fully training in general surgery?
Nope not at all, if I wanted to do gen surg I would have done the traditional 5+7 route. I'd rather not have to renew my gen surg boarding and just do vascular!

3) Logistics of applying to Gsurg too:
Most people on the trail also applied to GSurg programs as a back-up. It depends on the person how many programs they applied to/attended interviews. I applied to 12 GSurg programs that are strong programs that don't have integrated programs. It depends who you talk to but I was advised that applying to both GSurg and vascular at the same institution won't hurt you on the vascular front, but you may not get an invitation from the GSurg side of things. That being said, there are applicants who have had the word vascular in their letters of rec from Gsurg who abruptly stopped getting interview invites after that letter got sent out. So be careful what letters you chose to send to Gsurg programs.

And yes I wrote 2 PS, I had 6-7 LORs with only 1 letter from a vascular surgeon in the Gsurg pile (from my mentor) And yes, you can have them write 2 identical letters with one saying that you'd like to go into vascular and one saying you want to be a surgeon and put them in ERAS like that

Ranking is a personal preference thing. It depends on how you felt about the programs really. I'm ranking in order of my preference of training at the institution. However, I would rather do vascular than Gsurg, so you should be able to guess how my rank list will look...
[/QUOTE]

Anyone here doing a second look for vasc? Was going to be in the area of a place I liked but the logistics of actually going in was a bit burdensome (proof of vaccination status, TB status, HIPAA training) If so, how'd you spend your day and did it seem like it was worth it?

Hey guys,

Current 3rd year student also really interested in going into vascular. I'm starting to think about my schedule for next year and was curious about what you all think as far as away rotations. Any comments on what a good number to do would be? And what programs are considered to be more well-known (where a letter from there might really help). I come from a US MD program with no official vascular residency or fellowship, although I was able to spend quite a bit of time on the vascular team during my surgery clerkship.

Do you think it's a better idea to do my surgery subinternship (required by my home school for gradation) at my home school first before going out on my aways, or would this not make much of a difference? Just seems like time is a bit of a limiting factor since we really only have July, Aug, Sept, and Oct, and one of those months need to be devoted to Step2.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those applying this year!

I'm a third year medical student from Toronto interested in vascular surgery. In Canada we are starting the integrated 0+5 program for the first time in 2012 (which is the year that I apply). I was wondering what the US experience has been in terms of fellowship opportunities after doing the 5 year program. For example, I could see myself interested in doing a fellowship in renal transplant or CVICU which both seem very related to vascular surgery but I wasn't sure if you'd be eligible to apply if you don't have a full 5 years of training in general surgery. Any thoughts?

Current 3rd year student also really interested in going into vascular. I'm starting to think about my schedule for next year and was curious about what you all think as far as away rotations. Any comments on what a good number to do would be? And what programs are considered to be more well-known (where a letter from there might really help). I come from a US MD program with no official vascular residency or fellowship, although I was able to spend quite a bit of time on the vascular team during my surgery clerkship.

Do you think it's a better idea to do my surgery subinternship (required by my home school for gradation) at my home school first before going out on my aways, or would this not make much of a difference? Just seems like time is a bit of a limiting factor since we really only have July, Aug, Sept, and Oct, and one of those months need to be devoted to Step2.

I applied this year and so haven't matched yet, but am coming from an academic program with a fellowship and no 0+5. I did 2 away rotations and I was told by both of the PDs that it helped boost my application, the thought being that with such a small number of categoricals it helps to know what kind of person you're getting in advance. I think the opposite also applies too, in that if you end up doing a mediocre job or pissing someone off in such a small environment it's likely to come back and sink you even more so than usual.

I think a good away letter from any of the program PD's would help. It's definitely a small world, and everyone knows each other. The usual big names of course are good (Michigan, Pittsburgh, Dartmouth etc) but being big names, they have more rotating students and may be less likely to know you well or have the time to write a great letter. I didn't get any away letters because I already had great ones from my home faculty, and I don't think that it has affected anything so far.

I did a home subI before going on my aways. There is always a learning curve when you start a new away but I felt like doing a vascular rotation helped me to get back on my feet after doing a bunch of primary care late in 3rd year.

Hope that helps.

I'm a third year medical student from Toronto interested in vascular surgery. In Canada we are starting the integrated 0+5 program for the first time in 2012 (which is the year that I apply). I was wondering what the US experience has been in terms of fellowship opportunities after doing the 5 year program. For example, I could see myself interested in doing a fellowship in renal transplant or CVICU which both seem very related to vascular surgery but I wasn't sure if you'd be eligible to apply if you don't have a full 5 years of training in general surgery. Any thoughts?

The only ACGME fellowships I know of that have officially opened up to 0+5 graduates are cardiothoracic and surgical critical care. I would assume as people start graduating from the 0+5 that more fellowships will follow. I've also talked to some attendings who think programs in complex endovascular and open aortic surgery will be available in the future.

I think a good away letter from any of the program PD's would help. It's definitely a small world, and everyone knows each other. The usual big names of course are good (Michigan, Pittsburgh, Dartmouth etc) but being big names, they have more rotating students and may be less likely to know you well or have the time to write a great letter.

I think with 0+5s becoming more popular, all of these and many more programs are going to have a spike in the number of rotating students. It seems that people who have done aways at the places you've mentioned haven't had a problem with getting to know faculty though. So I wouldn't see that as a deterrent. I think no matter whether you go to a big name or a small name the key is to stand out. Do a vascular sub-i before you go. Show up early, leave late. Anticipate service needs. Read, read, read. And don't be super annoying. (The last one will probably help you the most :)).

Thanks for all the responses. I'm having a little trouble deciding on exactly what to do with aways, since I'll be most likely applying to gen surg also. I imagine the gen surg programs wouldn't be too pleased if they found out that it's not my first choice. That being said, would it look fishy to them if I had done only surgery sub-i and then 2 vascular aways? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but there's really no one (students or md's) at my school that seem to know anything about these integrated programs since they're so new (and we don't even have a vascular fellowship).

Thanks for all the responses. I'm having a little trouble deciding on exactly what to do with aways, since I'll be most likely applying to gen surg also. I imagine the gen surg programs wouldn't be too pleased if they found out that it's not my first choice. That being said, would it look fishy to them if I had done only surgery sub-i and then 2 vascular aways? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but there's really no one (students or md's) at my school that seem to know anything about these integrated programs since they're so new (and we don't even have a vascular fellowship).

Crt428, you hit the nail on the head with concerns I have thought of myself, given my interest in vascular surgery, but likely geographically specific (to about 10 of the programs), and general surgery.
Further, I may do my Surgery Sub-I on the Vascular/CT team, thus may not have a lot of exposure to general surgeons (and likely not the Chairman), before aways. I'm a little worried about getting LOR's for my general surgery application and the "fishiness" of investing myself so much in the Vascular arena as it pertains to my general surgery application.

Current applicants, you guys have been great about shedding light on this smallish community of programs and applicants this year, best of luck this week! If you have a moment, would any of you care to expand on:
1) How much do you reveal regarding your interest in Vascular Surgery when you meet with general surgery LOR writers, PDs, and interviews? (ie. do you find yourself putting on completely separate faces when talking to decision makers/supporters for gsurg and vascular surg? or are they fairly understanding and supportive of your situation?)
2) If you applied to both general and vascular surgery, how did you handle the 1st half of your 4th year (ie. Vascular-heavy? or balanced exposure to both Gsurg and Vascular Surg? helpfulness of aways?) and reflections on how that worked out for you.
3) your experiences along the interview trail at any of these programs?
Thanks!

Congrats to everyone who matched into vascular this year. I got my #1 and am stoked :) I've talked to a lot of people who matched so if you want to know where people ended up PM me and I'll share the info! Look forward to seeing you all at meetings, it was a great year!

I'll try to tackle some of these now that the match is over and my head's stopped hurting from all the celebration :D

would it look fishy to them if I had done only surgery sub-i and then 2 vascular aways?

Not from what I saw, surprisingly enough. I think for all intents and purposes vascular is still considered "general surgery" enough that I was never asked. Also, they won't know where you did your aways unless they ask straight up, or if you volunteer the information, so don't volunteer it unless you have to. (This will become a recurring theme during interviews.)

1) How much do you reveal regarding your interest in Vascular Surgery when you meet with general surgery LOR writers, PDs, and interviews? (ie. do you find yourself putting on completely separate faces when talking to decision makers/supporters for gsurg and vascular surg? or are they fairly understanding and supportive of your situation?)

My policy was to never lie. As for volunteering the truth, it depends on the situation. For my LOR writers and everyone in my home general surgery program, I made my intentions known pretty clearly. Trying to be deceiving or fishy with your home program can potentially cause some pretty bad juju. Besides, staff at most places talk, and it's a good bet that many of the vascular surgeons who'll be supporting you will be on the general surgery admissions process as well.

On the GS interview trail, I was pretty upfront about my interest in vascular but didn't give up that I was dual applying unless they asked me straight up. Some of them will ask you that, and be prepared to take it in stride - don't act weaselly or shifty or try to backtrack at that point or you will fail the interview. They are used to having dual appliers, but nobody likes a liar.

I ranked only a small number of GS programs (4), and was still told by my home program and by two other programs that they were planning on ranking me highly despite my dual application. I took that to mean I played it pretty well in that area. Regardless, it's a delicate balance (I think there's another recent thread about dual-applying) and you have to be careful.

2) If you applied to both general and vascular surgery, how did you handle the 1st half of your 4th year (ie. Vascular-heavy? or balanced exposure to both Gsurg and Vascular Surg? helpfulness of aways?) and reflections on how that worked out for you.
I did a vascular heavy first semester and it was really fun, and honestly I think it would help just as much for either specialty. After matching, I'm starting to think that aways are kind of overrated as audition rotations even if you do really well, unless you get an outstanding letter out of it, because the match is such a fickle beast. They do however allow you to see the true colors of a place and to decide if you like it or if you hate it and don't want to rank it.

I matched well within my short list of top vascular programs and I'm really happy to be doing my training there. I hope my answers are useful, and feel free to PM me or any of the other integrated vascular candidates this year if you have any institution-specific questions.