Integrated program at U Mass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenhouse123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has knows how good it is/ has any comments on the PRS integrated program at UMass.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has knows how good it is/ has any comments on the PRS integrated program at UMass.
Thanks!

One of my favorite programs I interviewed at. Chair has a very positive direction for the program, listens to the other faculty and the residents. Residents were a nice variety of personalities. I know one of the interns who matched this year, and she will be a great asset to the program.

Gen Surg months supposedly not bad. Variety of rotations and well-rounded experience. Looking at adding formal art classes to the curriculum, which I felt was a great (and totally unique) attribute. Located in Worcester, about 90 minutes from Boston. Good size town (200k ish). Residents say rent and cost of living not bad. Main hospital campus situated against a lake (very pretty). Facilities being rennovated. Totally redone conference room and resident room (gorgeous). Staff was very friendly and every faculty member seemed very approachable. Definite feel of collegiality.

Seems like a good case balance (no trouble with numbers, doing a fair amount of micro. Weakest area, like in most programs, probably Head and Neck Recon, but less competition since no ENT residency).

Biggest downside for me was location, as I'm not a northeast kind of person. That being said, everyone was incredibly kind and there were activities available to suit my midwestern lifestyle. Ended up ranking them much higher than I expected to before the interview. Don't think you can go wrong here. It's a great place to train, from what I've seen.

Good luck!

I'm surprised they could run a quality program in such a small metro area that close to Boston and the number of other programs there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised they could run a quality program in such a small metro area that close to Boston and the number of other programs there.

Being the furthest west of the programs in the area means a good size catchment from Mass and several surrounding states. It's similar to Wake Forest or SIU. Both are near several programs but cover a good sized catchment between those major areas (Duke and UNC for Wake and St. Louis and the Chicago programs for SIU).

rueby25,

Worcester to Boston is < 50 miles. That's really within the Boston metro area and not at all like Wake Forest or SIU which are really more isolated and like the regional referral area for those parts of their respective states. Again, I'm not really familiar with their program but I would think they would have a lot of trouble competing with the blue bloods in Boston for a lot of tertiary plastic surgery services (pediatric, cosmetic)

DrOliver,

Umass is almost exactly 50 mi from Boston. Wake is 80 miles from Duke and UNC and SIU is 90 miles from St. Louis. Given the higher population density, I'd say that these end up being relatively comparable. And the argument stands that there is really no program west of Umass, which means a large catchment (like at Wake, where they are the furthest west of the programs in that area so they draw from the mountains).

These things aside, I understand your point. Their numbers don't indicate an issue. I don't know why you would raise a concern about a program that you say you don't know much about.

I have limited exposure to the program at UMass, but I think you chose poor examples to establish your point. While SIU is a quality program with fantastic faculty, it is not a good example of a program with a large catchment area when it comes to tertiary and specialized plastic surgery services. For example, the SIU residents do a craniofacial rotation at Northwestern to get their numbers and more exposure to these specialized cases. The reality is a majority of patients being transferred or referred in that region will go to the big program in St. Louis or 1 of the 2 Chicago programs. That does not mean SIU residents have no exposure to complex cases, but it is hard to say they have the same exposure to the multitude and variety of complex cases you would see at programs that are large, tertiary referral centers. In considering a program, you have to be aware of trade-offs. At SIU, there are many advantages that potentially negate this. When evaluating UMass, make an effort to figure out what their faculty members specialize in and their volume in a variety of cases. Some people want to go to a training program that prepares them for general plastic surgery in the community, whereas others are looking for a program that exposes them to very specialized procedures. For example, if you want to be exposed to facial transplantation, the Boston program is a better option in that region. Figure out what you want to be exposed to and go from there. Talk to your mentors and other people from your university who have interviewed and get their opinions. Finally, if there is a program, like UMass, that you are interested in and no one knows a ton about, try and set up an away rotation.

I have limited exposure to the program at UMass, but I think you chose poor examples to establish your point. While SIU is a quality program with fantastic faculty, it is not a good example of a program with a large catchment area when it comes to tertiary and specialized plastic surgery services. For example, the SIU residents do a craniofacial rotation at Northwestern to get their numbers and more exposure to these specialized cases. The reality is a majority of patients being transferred or referred in that region will go to the big program in St. Louis or 1 of the 2 Chicago programs. That does not mean SIU residents have no exposure to complex cases, but it is hard to say they have the same exposure to the multitude and variety of complex cases you would see at programs that are large, tertiary referral centers. In considering a program, you have to be aware of trade-offs. At SIU, there are many advantages that potentially negate this. When evaluating UMass, make an effort to figure out what their faculty members specialize in and their volume in a variety of cases. Some people want to go to a training program that prepares them for general plastic surgery in the community, whereas others are looking for a program that exposes them to very specialized procedures. For example, if you want to be exposed to facial transplantation, the Boston program is a better option in that region. Figure out what you want to be exposed to and go from there. Talk to your mentors and other people from your university who have interviewed and get their opinions. Finally, if there is a program, like UMass, that you are interested in and no one knows a ton about, try and set up an away rotation.

I agree that SIU is an imperfect comparison and am quite aware of the rotation in Chicago for peds/CF. I was simply trying to give examples of programs that had relatively small populations relatively close to other programs in larger areas. This was the original point of contention (exposure to extremely specialized and tertiary services was only brought up later. The original statement was of a "quality program." A quality program can exist with a broad, general exposure).

The point is moot and is not worth quibbling about. Your advice is sound. If OP wants to know more, an away rotation is a great way to learn about the program.