Insurances to take / not take in the office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefootfixer

Reaction score
Hi guys

What’s the best way to go about this? I started my practice about 6 months ago. I’m not sure busy yet and I’ve Been getting some calls from some people w random insurances I’m not in network with. Aetna better health , “zing” Medicare etc.. I’m thinking they’re some variation of Medicaid. I don’t currently take any of these plans but I have no clue what the reimbursements are like for some of the Obamacare care plans (will never take straight Medicaid ). Thoughts on this while ramping? Maybe take then phase out?

Members don't see this ad.

Started to type….but this Heybrother territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Area with good payers = "we accept all area insurance plans accepted"

Area with bad payers = problems and more problems

I would strongly advise hiring a billing company for this. They can do it faster and better, and their main strength is that they'll tend to know what plans are good and bad. They know which pay and which cause problems and delay or deny payments. They know which are MCA or MCR in disguise... and which are even worse or better. It is well worth the $/hr for credentialing. If you're dumb or stubborn or broke enough to do the credentials and signup paperwork hustle all yourself, at least ask your local hospital(s) for a list of plans they take or don't take... that's not without reason, so it's a basic start.

As a rule of thumb, if it's some weird plan you've never heard of "Southern Sheriff's Star... Northern Sky... Vantage Plus... Optima Gold... Cadillac Wreath Plan," it's probably a MCA carrier in disguise. You can typically just google them and find out. They go in and out of business all the time and do the strange names and "quick easy credentialing" to make unwitting docs think it is a private plan that it might pay well.

So yeah, set up shop in a place with good payers (average or high avg income for city/county, good avg education area, large stable industrial or govt or other quality employers, etc... at minimum, area with many retirees who will have MCA). That typically means certain suburbs or a rural(ish) place; it is very easy to research this stuff. If you want to set up in a HCOL metro area with a lot of crime and social services and much competition and and low avg income, you should instead be working for the hospital as FTE in those areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The big thing about insurance is - when you sign up to accept insurance you are essentially saying - I will allow these people to dictate my reimbursement forever. They can choose when to pay me ie. you look 3 months later and its still in progress. They can choose to pay me or not - I did the service but somehow a 99203 requires a prior authorization. They can choose my rates and change the rates. They can pretend that a 20 minute follow-up discussion and an injection are just one service and they can choose to reimburse me $0.12 cents for a unit of dexamethasone even though a bottle of steroid is like $60 now.

A lot of people are really uncomfortable discussing cash and prices. How do you feel about telling people what something is going to cost? Are you one of those people who sets your fee schedule for a 99203 at $450 but then will accept $90 cash for the same service? Do you know your fee schedule backwards and forwards? Is your fee schedule set based on the hope that a Saudi prince will come in or based on what would be a good return for you for your valuable services. Essentially do you have a philosophy of reimbursement where you've thought about what you want. Have you created mismatches where essentially an identical type visit produces disparities in pay like charging different amounts for a 20600, a 20550 and 20605 - they all involve sticking a needle somewhere. Why should the price be different? Should a follow-up visit where you give an injection verse fill meloxicam be dramatically different?

Where am I going with this - we should all be attempting to build a strong cash component of our business. If you aren't on these plans already - maybe that's great. Maybe you should keep some cash options open. In some areas no one actually wants to accept these bad options, but the patient may still be willing to pay cash or be "out of network" for the service.

The other day I was talking to a another podiatrist on this forum. They showed me their fee schedule. Some of the values were very reasonable. Other values were too low. I've read quite a few people on here say their goal for an average visit is $140. Maybe that's the right number, maybe it isn't - but if you aren't willing to charge what you need to a cash patient - how are you going to stay in business. My kids went to a dentist the other day. I don't have dental insurance. I can tell you they did not go easy on my wife. Another example - my 99203 price was too low. I'd find myself frustrated on visits because if the patient didn't do x-rays or an injection the visit wasn't worth anything. Mistake. Up that price! Your time is valuable- charge for it. Everyone's idea of their worth is variable, but you should walk out of a cash pay encounter satisfied regardless of what the patient chooses.

Everything below is generalities - your area may be entirely different.

Medicare - it is what it is. You already accept it. The simple truth is its the basis for a lot of our other insurances and it ain't great unless there's a 25 modifier etc. Surgery is in general poorly reimbursed. We all accept it. I'm very curious to see where Medicare goes in the years ahead.

Blue Cross - in general BCBS appears to have 3 different fee schedules minimum with usually 2 of them being good and within a few percent of each other and then a Obamacare plan. I'm under the impression BCBS doesn't negotiate and in my state they apparently pay everyone the same. The big issue is that the Obamacare plan is very possibly not accepted at your nice ASC/for profit place so you may have to struggle to find somewhere to operate on these patients.

Humana. They are transitioning to only Medicare Advantage. Someone on here said they received 104% of Medicare from Humana. I did not. My rates were pitiful. They constantly deny services, bundle nails/calluses together, deny 24s/79s for new site ulcers on patients already in a global for a flexor tenotomy etc. My IPA rates would be substantially better than my other rates but still massively sub-Medcare. Dropping them was the best thing I ever did. I told the scumbag in Kentucky or Tennessee or whatever that they were making a mistake not paying me 100% of Medicare and now I listen to people crying on the phone to my receptionist. "Sorry, we don't take Humana", "*Tears*, no one does".

United. Total scumbags. The internet would suggest they seem to be cutting everyone's rates everywhere. Every hospital system has at some point talked about going out of network with them. All of the surgeries I did last year that were fraudently denied/never paid were by United. A few years ago their reimbursement was middle of the road. Now they are one of my worst payors and the 2nd most deceitful after Humana. If you haven't been screwed by them yet its because you haven't been looking for it. Be careful with contracts - they routinely require a 3 year contract so you can't break the contract on 3-6 months notice.

Aetna. Mostly junk. One good fee schedule. Dropping after United. 619 somehow got great rates from them - everyone is different.

Cigna. Cigna seems to be making pushes to go after the 25 modifier according to emails I'm getting. I'm currently well compensated by them due my participation in an IPA. Otherwise my reimbursement was going to be trivial.

Small plans. Get the fee schedule. They don't always pay poorly but they often do. I resolved all of my small plans by joining an IPA.

*ALWAYS get the fee schedule. I've literally had an insurance where 20550 paid $50 and 20551 paid $85.

*Never accept something you don't have a contract with / fee schedule etc unless you are either willing to charge the patient cash upfront or you like getting screwed. There is a local insurance company in my area that essentially is only carried by a handful of school workers, etc. Not teachers. Anyway, reimbursement was really slow because they didn't communicate with our EHR ie. the EOBs had to be pulled manually. Turned out they were paying us 60% of our charges and we have a very reasonable fee schedule that is designed to make cash pay straight forward. We didn't have a contract so we technically should have been out of network and able to do what we wanted, but because we submitted the charges to insurance and no one was looking/exploring/evaluating/cared - they paid us what they wanted to. We ultimately joined and got offered a better rate and then joined and IPA and upped it even more. But the big take home is if you aren't looking back at your reimbursement people will walk on you. Interestingly, in my town this is another insurance that can only be taken to the county hospital.

Funny one - I saw these ads for Sana on Facebook. I thought - I wonder what that is. A day later a patient came in with it. My partner billed a 99203/73630 and got $80 for the 99203. I told the front desk not to accept anymore of them. We call them and it turns out they don't actually have a credentialing process - you submit a bill and they pay you. Take it or leave it. Randomly the other day I was looking and realized that according to their website they are now in the Healthsmart network because no one was accepting their insurance. As it happens my IPA has this rate set at a good value so I'll potentially start seeing them again once we can confirm this is the rate we are paid at.

Long story short - all we can talk about is what's in our area and how they treat us. But there really is something powerful about just ... not accepting insurances if you can. Now - if you take hospital call - keep in mind the no surprises act and all that jazz. If you are some sort of cash pay lotion-potion-custom-orthotic-special magic dispenser who makes their money upcharging everyone - maybe you won't care that you receive 65% of Medicare because you push $700 custom orthotics on everyone. I don't see Medicaid either. I accept zero dual complete plans. My future is no Medicare Advantage plans either because all of them will try to screw you.

I recommend joining an IPA but get the rates from the IPA first. Don't just assume because its an IPA that the rates will be better. The rates of my local IPA were better than the rates of an out of town IPA that was larger.

Reactions: 8 users
I personally enjoyed Feli's listing of sneaky Obamacare, Dual Complete etc plans. My receptionist has like 30 years of experience and the sound of here saying "Say that plan again, uh huh, no, we don't accept that" is burned into my brain.

Reactions: 1 users
So why hasn’t HeyBrother replaced Lehrman? Or these billing courses? Y’all should be thankful he’s offering this level of advice for free.

Reactions: 2 users
The big thing about insurance is - when you sign up to accept insurance you are essentially saying - I will allow these people to dictate my reimbursement forever. They can choose when to pay me ie. you look 3 months later and its still in progress. They can choose to pay me or not - I did the service but somehow a 99203 requires a prior authorization. They can choose my rates and change the rates. They can pretend that a 20 minute follow-up discussion and an injection are just one service and they can choose to reimburse me $0.12 cents for a unit of dexamethasone even though a bottle of steroid is like $60 now.

A lot of people are really uncomfortable discussing cash and prices. How do you feel about telling people what something is going to cost? Are you one of those people who sets your fee schedule for a 99203 at $450 but then will accept $90 cash for the same service? Do you know your fee schedule backwards and forwards? Is your fee schedule set based on the hope that a Saudi prince will come in or based on what would be a good return for you for your valuable services. Essentially do you have a philosophy of reimbursement where you've thought about what you want. Have you created mismatches where essentially an identical type visit produces disparities in pay like charging different amounts for a 20600, a 20550 and 20605 - they all involve sticking a needle somewhere. Why should the price be different? Should a follow-up visit where you give an injection verse fill meloxicam be dramatically different?

Where am I going with this - we should all be attempting to build a strong cash component of our business. If you aren't on these plans already - maybe that's great. Maybe you should keep some cash options open. In some areas no one actually wants to accept these bad options, but the patient may still be willing to pay cash or be "out of network" for the service.

The other day I was talking to a another podiatrist on this forum. They showed me their fee schedule. Some of the values were very reasonable. Other values were too low. I've read quite a few people on here say their goal for an average visit is $140. Maybe that's the right number, maybe it isn't - but if you aren't willing to charge what you need to a cash patient - how are you going to stay in business. My kids went to a dentist the other day. I don't have dental insurance. I can tell you they did not go easy on my wife. Another example - my 99203 price was too low. I'd find myself frustrated on visits because if the patient didn't do x-rays or an injection the visit wasn't worth anything. Mistake. Up that price! Your time is valuable- charge for it. Everyone's idea of their worth is variable, but you should walk out of a cash pay encounter satisfied regardless of what the patient chooses.

Everything below is generalities - your area may be entirely different.

Medicare - it is what it is. You already accept it. The simple truth is its the basis for a lot of our other insurances and it ain't great unless there's a 25 modifier etc. Surgery is in general poorly reimbursed. We all accept it. I'm very curious to see where Medicare goes in the years ahead.

Blue Cross - in general BCBS appears to have 3 different fee schedules minimum with usually 2 of them being good and within a few percent of each other and then a Obamacare plan. I'm under the impression BCBS doesn't negotiate and in my state they apparently pay everyone the same. The big issue is that the Obamacare plan is very possibly not accepted at your nice ASC/for profit place so you may have to struggle to find somewhere to operate on these patients.

Humana. They are transitioning to only Medicare Advantage. Someone on here said they received 104% of Medicare from Humana. I did not. My rates were pitiful. They constantly deny services, bundle nails/calluses together, deny 24s/79s for new site ulcers on patients already in a global for a flexor tenotomy etc. My IPA rates would be substantially better than my other rates but still massively sub-Medcare. Dropping them was the best thing I ever did. I told the scumbag in Kentucky or Tennessee or whatever that they were making a mistake not paying me 100% of Medicare and now I listen to people crying on the phone to my receptionist. "Sorry, we don't take Humana", "*Tears*, no one does".

United. Total scumbags. The internet would suggest they seem to be cutting everyone's rates everywhere. Every hospital system has at some point talked about going out of network with them. All of the surgeries I did last year that were fraudently denied/never paid were by United. A few years ago their reimbursement was middle of the road. Now they are one of my worst payors and the 2nd most deceitful after Humana. If you haven't been screwed by them yet its because you haven't been looking for it. Be careful with contracts - they routinely require a 3 year contract so you can't break the contract on 3-6 months notice.

Aetna. Mostly junk. One good fee schedule. Dropping after United. 619 somehow got great rates from them - everyone is different.

Cigna. Cigna seems to be making pushes to go after the 25 modifier according to emails I'm getting. I'm currently well compensated by them due my participation in an IPA. Otherwise my reimbursement was going to be trivial.

Small plans. Get the fee schedule. They don't always pay poorly but they often do. I resolved all of my small plans by joining an IPA.

*ALWAYS get the fee schedule. I've literally had an insurance where 20550 paid $50 and 20551 paid $85.

*Never accept something you don't have a contract with / fee schedule etc unless you are either willing to charge the patient cash upfront or you like getting screwed. There is a local insurance company in my area that essentially is only carried by a handful of school workers, etc. Not teachers. Anyway, reimbursement was really slow because they didn't communicate with our EHR ie. the EOBs had to be pulled manually. Turned out they were paying us 60% of our charges and we have a very reasonable fee schedule that is designed to make cash pay straight forward. We didn't have a contract so we technically should have been out of network and able to do what we wanted, but because we submitted the charges to insurance and no one was looking/exploring/evaluating/cared - they paid us what they wanted to. We ultimately joined and got offered a better rate and then joined and IPA and upped it even more. But the big take home is if you aren't looking back at your reimbursement people will walk on you. Interestingly, in my town this is another insurance that can only be taken to the county hospital.

Funny one - I saw these ads for Sana on Facebook. I thought - I wonder what that is. A day later a patient came in with it. My partner billed a 99203/73630 and got $80 for the 99203. I told the front desk not to accept anymore of them. We call them and it turns out they don't actually have a credentialing process - you submit a bill and they pay you. Take it or leave it. Randomly the other day I was looking and realized that according to their website they are now in the Healthsmart network because no one was accepting their insurance. As it happens my IPA has this rate set at a good value so I'll potentially start seeing them again once we can confirm this is the rate we are paid at.

Long story short - all we can talk about is what's in our area and how they treat us. But there really is something powerful about just ... not accepting insurances if you can. Now - if you take hospital call - keep in mind the no surprises act and all that jazz. If you are some sort of cash pay lotion-potion-custom-orthotic-special magic dispenser who makes their money upcharging everyone - maybe you won't care that you receive 65% of Medicare because you push $700 custom orthotics on everyone. I don't see Medicaid either. I accept zero dual complete plans. My future is no Medicare Advantage plans either because all of them will try to screw you.

I recommend joining an IPA but get the rates from the IPA first. Don't just assume because its an IPA that the rates will be better. The rates of my local IPA were better than the rates of an out of town IPA that was larger.

Really stupid question because I'm stupid. But are the rates the same whether service was rendered by Pod vs. Ortho?

Happy Easter, y’all! He is Risen!
1681049939603.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Really stupid question because I'm stupid.

It’s ok, no need to open with this fact as we’re all podiatrists here. So anyway, government insurance pays the same. The implications of this are that hospitals make an absolute killing off of pods paying them $20 less per RVU than ortho but collecting the same off insurance for the same procedure performed. That’s part of the 350k vs 600k salary difference. In the private practice world, ortho groups will generally have better contracts than most pod groups (especially groups less than 6ish) and thus better reimbursement. The exception is massive pod supergroups, which have contracts as good as ortho, but that won’t matter because the management will steal all that extra reimbursement from you anyway and you’ll never be a partner.

Anyway, if you hum along with the buzz of your dremel and try to get the pitch perfectly in tune, it’ll help take your mind off these things.

• Haha
  • Sad
It’s ok, no need to open with this fact as we’re all podiatrists here.
I need you to be the commencement speaker for my graduation :hilarious:

• Haha
...are the rates the same whether service was rendered by Pod vs. Ortho?
As mentioned, yes... same in PP, for the govt payers. A 99214 is a 99214 is a 99214.

Otherwise, in PP, for private payers, it's what's negotiated. This is yet another reason to have a solid biller/credentialer do this for you. You can't be flying blind on this stuff. The good ones will have relationship with most area insurances, know how to grease the wheels, know a good vs bad fee schedule when it's offered, and know where they can probably negotiate (higher fee for surgery, higher fee for E/M, re-eval the rates after fewer months of utilization, etc etc). You need to tell the cred service your common CPTs, what rates you are getting now - esp MCR, selling points (only doc in county to offer procedures XYZ, high COL area, own and have been there awhile so they won't have to cred again as they do for new associates q2y for other groups, etc). Take on all of that at your own peril. Don't make the decision of billing/cred services lightly, and definitely do not step over dollars to save dimes.

...And yes, as mentioned, this is why hospitals like DPMs over vasc or ortho or gen surg or whoever doing the cases DPMs can do: pay them much less yet get same $ for the surgery, diagnostics, etc RVUs that are generated. It's the same logic for hiring PAs for hospitalists, surgeon teams, etc. Why have a $400k salary and $75/rvu dermatologist do and ingrown when a $200k salary and $55/rvu DPM can do it? Same for a diabetic ankle fx or gas gangrene amp. All codes are paid the same rate by payers, but docs are generally not paid same (per RVU rate) between specialties... although they are usually similar among same specialty dept. Besides making more $$$ for the hospital, it also keeps their bigger fish happy to not have to do the stuff they don't want to do (wounds and foot amps for surgeons, tons of notes for IM docs, etc). Remember, just because you're useful, it doesn't mean that you're important or you're necessary. :) 🐇 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Really stupid question because I'm stupid. But are the rates the same whether service was rendered by Pod vs. Ortho?
Its not a stupid question. My experience joining an IPA and seeing schedules has sort of recalibrated my opinion on how money is made. Some of the answers above are slightly different than mine and that's ok - all things are possible. I've sort of believed for the longest time everyone was getting paid except me. In the end - all you can do is make hay while the sun is shining under the terms of your own town.

The question on a lot of people's minds is - why do we make what we make while other fields keep so much more of the money. My feeling having practiced longer is the following - and I'm not going to touch on podiatrist-on-podiatrist-financial assault:

(a) There are insurances that pay podiatry less - both commercial and Medicare advantage.

-I've described previously a commercial insurance that seems to deliberately underpay podiatry specific codes. In fact, by joining my IPA I received a very detailed sheet that spells out the origin of the reimbursement value ie. whether its based on Medicare or something else and the podiatry common codes that were reduced had a marker next to them essentially stating they were invented ie. purposely reduced. Other codes on the sheet were very clearly based on Medicare and a positive multiplier.

-I had a small office based procedure to make sure I don't have to buy more carseats. I checked the codes they used and they were reimbursed better than I would have been, but not dramatically. This was by a specific predatory insurance that I both hate and unfortunately have as my office insurance. Ugh. Interestingly, their rates were less than my old rates ie. they got straight Medicare as the reimbursement for my procedure but I used to get 1.4X Medicare from this insurance. So - does this insurance suck for me? Yes. But it sucks for them too and seems to be on an overall downward trend for everyone ie. I used to get 40% more than they got from me.

-I've obviously also described previously the feeling that the commercial environment is deteriorating though it may not be deteriorating for others as fast as it is for us. I can only comment on what I'm experiencing. Perhaps its better elsewhere. There is a component of negotiation and I've had bad insurances offer 10% more here and there. Describing the benfits of my services, the cases I've already offered to help them, etc didn't seem to get any traction from insurance companies. I once wrote a long sheet explaining why I should be paid more and received back literally just the word "no". The simple truth is that for having all the data - insurance companies really have no idea who is valuable and who isn't. They are perfectly happy to pay a wound healing center to debride on their patients and skin graft them, forever. Do not believe for a second that insurance companies are smart or anything you ever hear about the future of payment being "quality" based. Its just obfuscation to reduce future payment.

(b) Other fields may be more likely to receive subsidy/call pay etc. That said, its potentially worth pointing out that this describes people who also "worker harder than us". Consider that none of the PP podiatrists in my town take call. I'm on a whatsapp group with some other podiatrists and apparently in bigger cities taking call for free is a real thing. Sorry big city pods... tackling cool cases...

(c) Other fields seem more likely to have facility ownership and the profit it generates.

(d) And the kicker - most podiatrists are not doing enough straightforward lucrative work on profitable insurances. Too much work on Medicare and such, not enough on the good stuff. More on this later.

Government pays everyone the same. Theoretically everyone in the same IPA is being offered the same rates unless something in the individual contracts spells out something different. However, individual members of an IPA could theoretically go outside the IPA for specific insurances to try to acquire a better deal. The impression I've received from 2 IPAs now is that the largest health insurer in Texas pays everyone the same in private practice ie. same code, same pay. One of them specifically described for me a dermatologist calling and them telling him - we get the same you do. Interestingly, a certain payor I have the schedules for offers Primary Care Providers $3 more for E&M codes than specialists.

Here's my big thing. I don't think most podiatrists are doing enough good-payor-facility-surgery or enough good-payor-high profit in office procedures. I think there's too many of us and we dilute the good stuff. If everyone was doing 10+ matrixectomies a day and 5-7 surgeries on their surgery day - I think the overall collections for the profession would be a lot higher.

-Consider - you see a new patient for fungus. Let's just say its a 99203 - doesn't actually matter if its a 204 or not. This is still not a $300 encounter. Its variable $80 to $150ish bucks. It generates some version of 99213s-214s in the future. Its quick. There's nothing wrong with it. But while you are doing this the ophthos are banging out $500 lens every 15 minutes. That may not be a fair comparison, but the gist of things is podiatry does have things that can be profitable. I just think we aren't doing enough of them. We may not be able to match other specialities which have procedures that are profitable in bulk even on Medicare

-Consider 11056/11720. Over $100? Sure. Much risk? No. Perhaps you can do 3-4 of these in an hour. There's something to be said for that, but it doesn't stand up to doing 2 new 99203/11750 on good insurance in an hour and making over $700.

-Consider a wound care practice vs a everything practice. Medicare-good-insurance pay spectrum for 11042 is like $120-200 + E&M as needed. Plantar fascial injections range from like $50-90. Obviously one is risker, has more documentation etc. But the higher your acuity, theoretically the higher the codes and the better the reimbursement.

Where I'm going with this. I do think we're getting screwed. I do think big insurance looks down on us. But I've somewhat rearranged my views on insurance - the most common good insurance out there seems to be paying everyone the same. If that's the case - the only thing holding us down is what we're actually doing. As of late - the more good insurance surgery and procedures I do - the more money I make. But I don't do enough of them. I did a ton of flexor tenotomies at the beginning of this year. NONE of them were on good insurance. They were all Medicare and UHC-MA. The difference between that and good insurance would have been like $150-300 a procedure.

I repeat myself a lot but hopefully last thing - for all professions - try to come up with something they can do that is
(a) super common
(b) easy to do ie. can be done in 15-30
(c) and is profitable - ideally on Medicare but commercial insurance works too

Podiatry has some things that can somewhat fit all 3, but they may not match the possibilities of other professions.

• Care