Insulin quantity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curiousone1111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys!
Erxs are supposed to help make things easier but they make it worse lol. When it comes to insulin, the e rx might say 1260 mL (!!) or the dosage form specified as “syringes.” Obviously they didnt mean for that because 1260 ml would result in 126000 units and that many syringes, forget about it lol. Usually i’ll just provide 12 mL because itl provide 1200 units and its close enough to what i assume they intended to write for. Do you guys call md to clarify on this stuff for audit purposes? I don’t.

Also, the rx may say 5 mL but they meant 5 pens... same story as above

Or it will say 5 pens but only 4 pens come out to a days supply close enough to 30. Rph bills for 4 pens but in the ordered quantity they didn’t put 5 pens but instead put 4. When ur refilling do u change the ordered quantity back to 5 pens (if system even lets u change qty on refills?) or just leave it as is?

Even for getting 30 days supply it isnt always perfect. Usually it can come out to 28 days. Nobody i know counts 2 units prime per injection but if u count it it will be an even shorter days supply. If 3 pens last 25 days but with the priming it comes out to 23, do u bill for an extra pen which makes it >30 day supply then just bill later when due, or keep it as is and have them keep coming back every 23 days for a refill?

I think the concern has more to do with dispensing a quantity greater than specified on the rx, and that’s when e rxs for insulin get annoying. The rx might say 3 mL so that’s one pen and it only lasts them 10 days lol. Rph may have billed and put ordered qty as 9 ml so as to get a month supply but didn’t put a note about md okaying quantity. When refilling do u just dispense or do u call to get the okay on it? Aside from the audit aspect, someone mentioned how u could get reported for misfilling/misconduct for inaccuracy if they notice during audits that ur billing for more than specified? Thats ridiculous. Its insulin. Its not a controlled substance. If we do change the quantity without callig the md its because we know theyre gonna be fine with it, why wouldnt any doc ok it? Its for a chronic illness plus erxs just have these issues all the time and its problematic for insulin so its not like the erx is for tablets or something straightforward and ur changing the quantity on your own.. that’s different.

This question is mostly for ppl who open boxes as chains have started doing it too. If u dont open boxes obviously u wouldnt be concerned since u always give in quantities of full boxes anyway regardless of what rx says lol. Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you don’t overthink like this in every rx you verify. If you are worry about audit, ask your supervisor on how to properly input quantity and day supply.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't overthink it. If they write for a ridiculous amount, just fill UP TO plan limit (30 or 90 days) . In essence, it's a PRN refill. WAG SOP is 2 units to prime (3 for Toujeo). Some insurances will have copay for each month so if you have an rx for one box of Lantus at 35 units per day, it would be a 41 days supply (technically 40.5), the insurance may charge a full copay for the second month. If that were the case and you had enough refills and your state allows you to fill for 90 days without calling, you could technically for this for 11 pens for an 89 days supply.
There can also be scenarios, especially this time of year, where the second box or whatever may kick them into the donut hole, so you may have to back down on quantity dispensed depending on the circumstance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you don’t overthink like this in every rx you verify. If you are worry about audit, ask your supervisor on how to properly input quantity and day supply.

Not really worried about audit, heard it could affect ur license if ur putting in a quantity that is greater than what the rx lists. Hard to believe though

Not really worried about audit, heard it could affect ur license if ur putting in a quantity that is greater than what the rx lists. Hard to believe though

Yes for controlled rxs. But BOP don’t care if you dispensed 30gm of triamcinolone cream for an 15 gm rx

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely get that vibe of you wearing the "white" hat (over-analyzing everything) from several of your posts (other new grads on this site doing similar to you as well)...might want to shift your thinking to the "blue" hat (adaptation to circumstances)

Reactions: 1 users
In school they make us seem like we’re potential criminals over the dumbest things lol. Sorry, everyone has been helpful here though :)
Rph with 10 years experience brought this to my attention otherwise I didn’t ever think too much about insulin script quantity. I just gave about a month supply

Definitely get that vibe of you wearing the "white" hat (over-analyzing everything) from several of your posts (other new grads on this site doing similar to you as well)...might want to shift your thinking to the "blue" hat (adaptation to circumstances)

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. My concern is also if the rx is written for a low amount and I’m dispensing more than that without the dr’s authorization. Its insulin i know theyl be okay with it but it is hard to call on it especially if nobody answers

Don't overthink it. If they write for a ridiculous amount, just fill UP TO plan limit (30 or 90 days) . In essence, it's a PRN refill. WAG SOP is 2 units to prime (3 for Toujeo). Some insurances will have copay for each month so if you have an rx for one box of Lantus at 35 units per day, it would be a 41 days supply (technically 40.5), the insurance may charge a full copay for the second month. If that were the case and you had enough refills and your state allows you to fill for 90 days without calling, you could technically for this for 11 pens for an 89 days supply.
There can also be scenarios, especially this time of year, where the second box or whatever may kick them into the donut hole, so you may have to back down on quantity dispensed depending on the circumstance.

Thanks for your advice. My concern is also if the rx is written for a low amount and I’m dispensing more than that without the dr’s authorization. Its insulin i know theyl be okay with it but it is hard to call on it especially if nobody answers
OK to dispense 30 days per Mary