Insulin pen, box: open box or not? Rite Aid Old Memo of 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL, God have mercy on this guy's soul when he moves to another district or a new RxSup takes over and finds out what they've been doing

I do what my pharmacist supervisor/manager requests as long as it is within the law and neither immoral or unethical. If they tell me to give $25 gift cards for a customer complaint, I'll do it. If they tell me to refund a prescription that a patient picked up and doesn't want it- I return it and salvage it. They sign off on my paycheck so if they are fine with a loss then so be it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do what my pharmacist supervisor/manager requests as long as it is within the law and neither immoral or unethical. If they tell me to give $25 gift cards for a customer complaint, I'll do it. If they tell me to refund a prescription that a patient picked up and doesn't want it- I return it and salvage it. They sign off on my paycheck so if they are fine with a loss then so be it.

Hahahahahhahahahhahahahahah

I'll repeat the question you intentionally ignored: do you ever refill any prescriptions early?

I do, but only when the patient calls the pharmacy and tells me to "just fill everything on their profile" and also to use the Watson Soma's because the other ones don't work.

Members don't see this ad :)
So question- does the Walgreens computer system not allow you to put in a quantity for insulin pens less than 15 mL? The CVS system will reject for other quantity issues (i.e. get a M/I quantity dispensed for 6.7 g for a Proair inhaler, birth controls, and a few others).

It blocks you from giving anything other then multiples of a full box

Reactions: 1 users
It blocks you from giving anything other then multiples of a full box

Interesting. The Walgreens across the street never had mentioned anything or complained about it when CVS had lost the Tricare contract and had to transfer all those prescriptions over (unless they were just rewriting the transferred script?).

Interesting. The Walgreens across the street never had mentioned anything or complained about it when CVS had lost the Tricare contract and had to transfer all those prescriptions over (unless they were just rewriting the transferred script?).

None of the CVS around us does any of that silly splitting that you're doing. You're one of the few. When we take transfers pens, they're always in multiples of full boxes.

Don’t just claim “patient safety”. How is patient safety being violated? If it was not possible to be split, the box would have “tamper” language per FDA labeling genius. I don’t need to convince anyone here as many have already said they open boxes. I have been opening boxes for over 6 years and no one’s safety has been violated. In fact, if you dispense more than what the prescription calls for ie: 1 pen per md Qty, you are violating patient safety.

Umm that's your choice, it's your license. Im not here to baby sit you. No one here is doing what you're doing tho. Just don't throw a tantrum like earlier because no one is listening to you.

In my 17 years, I've never had a single issue.

I really don't know how or why this argument keeps going. To be honest if when I started, the store opened them, I'd probably be opening them today.

That's just how much I really don't care.

Reactions: 1 users
None of the CVS around us does any of that silly splitting that you're doing. You're one of the few. When we take transfers pens, they're always in multiples of full boxes.

Well we're making progress- at least its no longer "you're the only one doing it this way". :=|:-):

In my 17 years, I've never had a single issue.

I really don't know how or why this argument keeps going. To be honest if when I started, the store opened them, I'd probably be opening them today.

That's just how much I really don't care.
Dude hes a troll...I mean it's entertaining because he gets super mad when you don't agree with him but this is obviously a troll.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude hes a troll...I mean it's entertaining because he gets super mad when you don't agree with him but this is obviously a troll.

I know, I find this whole thing amusing.

It's just you really. I say few because it's you and your staff

images.jpeg

I mean he created a whole new account just to defend himself. Lol what a loser.

Here we go again, lol. I'm sorry I didn't make it more clear yesterday that I was done arguing with you. I just enjoy watching you jump from saying that I will lose my pharmacist license for opening a box of insulin pens, that I'm the only one doing this, to the notion I created a separate account and have been commenting for nearly 24 consecutive hours.

Here we go again, lol. I'm sorry I didn't make it more clear yesterday that I was done arguing with you. I just enjoy watching you jump from saying that I will lose my pharmacist license for opening a box of insulin pens, that I'm the only one doing this, to the notion I created a separate account and have been commenting for nearly 24 consecutive hours.
But you cared...which is all that matters. You created a whole new account for me. Awwww...
Hahaha I love it. He really thinks we are the same person after all this.

I mean he created a whole new account just to defend himself. Lol what a loser.

You are so ignorant that you actually think this is true. If I can prove to you otherwise, can you please please please just hand over your Pharmacist license. I mean it’s really pathetic that you have the license to do what you are doing.

2 units? What is your arguement? Each pen is over 100 units. Makes no difference
I have two points:
#1 you’re wrong
#2 THE ONE I ALREADY SAID ABOUT HOW THERE IS ENOUGH OVERFILL FOR PRIMING!

But mostly the first one.

Let him think what he thinks. I'm going to continue to open boxes of insulin pens until my supervisor tells me otherwise and he's going to continue to dispense them in boxes regardless of the directions and tell us that we will lose our pharmacist license for doing so even though every store in our district and neighboring districts have been doing this for years.

I have two points:
#1 you’re wrong
#2 THE ONE I ALREADY SAID ABOUT HOW THERE IS ENOUGH OVERFILL FOR PRIMING!

But mostly the first one.

I still do not understand your point. If 2 to 3 extra pens are given, what does 2 units of priming have to do with anything. Its insignificant.

do you really tho? I mean you made a whole new account with all your messages and posting on this thread..and then the very first post...you attacked me. I mean it seemed like you were already salty coming in. Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered.

I still do not understand your point. If 2 to 3 extra pens are given, what does 2 units of priming have to do with anything. Its insignificant.
I finished considering this topic two years ago. I’m just pointing out false statements. Go to a mathematics forum and state that “Pi is exactly 3.14” and you’ll get the same response. We’re supposed to be drug experts and making random inaccuracies in the middle of arguments isn’t what experts should be doing. Be careful, or you’re gonna get elected president (of APhA or the country - please interpret in whatever way will not start a fight with me)

STICK A FORK IN IT

SHE'S HAD ALL IH CAN TAKE, CAP'N

josh6718 said:
Florida Medicaid also expects pharmacies to break the box of pens

Folks, let's review the latest news posted here:
I believe this new latest fact settled the argument.
As of July 2017, "Florida Medicaid also expects pharmacies to break the box of pens."

What does it mean?
It means if you violate Medicaid audit, you may be on Medicaid black list and done with your pharmacist job.
It does not matter what you have been doing for 10 years; now, you answer to Medicaid why you give full box of 5 pens a month when patient uses only 2 pens a month.

Any pharmacist from Florida? Please confirm. This is your life here.

With this new knowledge that "Florida Medicaid also expects pharmacies to break the box of pens," now I am afraid other Medicaid of other states may copy this. Please share your Medicaid rule if you find out. Thanks.

Source: Audit lesson from QS1.
I included here below as attachment for reference.

upload_2017-11-12_0-40-13.png

Attachments

• Audit lesson, July 2017, page0010 from QS1.com.pdf
    565.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Audit lesson, July 2017, page0011 from QS1.com.pdf
    183.9 KB · Views: 69
  • What Have We Learned about PBM Audits Recently_ _ QS_1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Folks, let's review the latest news posted here:
I believe this new latest fact settled the argument.
As of July 2017, "Florida Medicaid also expects pharmacies to break the box of pens."

What does it mean?
It means if you violate Medicaid audit, you may be on Medicaid black list and done with your pharmacist job.
It does not matter what you have been doing for 10 years; now, you answer to Medicaid why you give full box of 5 pens a month when patient uses only 2 pens a month.

Any pharmacist from Florida? Please confirm. This is your life here.

With this new knowledge that "Florida Medicaid also expects pharmacies to break the box of pens," now I am afraid other Medicaid of other states may copy this. Please share your Medicaid rule if you find out. Thanks.

Source: Audit lesson from QS1.
I included here below as attachment for reference.

View attachment 225352

That doesn't settle anything. The Florida thing has already been mentioned before. If that becomes a thing in the future then we'll discuss it in the future. Right now, it's not standard of practice to open insulin boxes. Period. Pharmacists will continue to dispense full boxes with the few exceptions that require otherwise.

That doesn't settle anything. The Florida thing has already been mentioned before. If that becomes a thing in the future then we'll discuss it in the future. Right now, it's not standard of practice to open insulin boxes. Period. Pharmacists will continue to dispense full boxes with the few exceptions that require otherwise.

If it becomes a thing? It has been a thing for years and now a huge Medicaid agency requires it. When will you ever learn that you are wrong?

If it becomes a thing? It has been a thing for years and now a huge Medicaid agency requires it. When will you ever learn that you are wrong?

Then why does it say starting in July 2017...and only 1 plan...and only medicaid...and only FL? I mean...I can't read it for you man. You gotta be able to read first before arguing.

Lnsean reaffirms why robots can easily replace Retail Pharmacists in the future. In fact, it is easier to program robots to change and understand new concepts. Using that “standard of practice” saying has always been the go to defense of these old time lazy retail Pharmacists for years. Cant have a valid arguement? Keep using the “standard of practice” excuse.. “lmao”

Lnsean reaffirms why robots can easily replace Retail Pharmacists in the future. In fact, it is easier to program robots to change and understand new concepts. Using that “standard of practice” saying has always been the go to defense of these old time lazy retail Pharmacists for years. Cant have a valid arguement? Keep using the “standard of practice” excuse.. “lmao”

I rather take that than seriously violating patient safety. That's your call man. It seems the majority of pharmacists are on my side. How does it feel to not have anyone back you up?

Please stop calling your colleagues robots. It is disrespectful.

Only until Jeff Bezos takes over pharmacy, then sadly I believe it will be the norm.
Laws need changed first and with people thinking pharmacists need to only review so many per day, law changes are far away.

Then why does it say starting in July 2017...and only 1 plan...and only medicaid...and only FL? I mean...I can't read it for you man. You gotta be able to read first before arguing.

I cant read? I said insulin boxes being opened has been a thing and NOW Medicaid agency will disallow it. Also, it’s not only one plan. You love to make things up.

No one is. What I don't get is what's up with all the personal attacks? I mean you created a whole new account to attack me just because no one is agreeing with you. You're doing something that is out side of standard practice. People are not going to do that; so you should understand. It seems you have too much emotion riding on this thread. The bottom line is, we'll continue doing what we are doing and you do you...okay? It seems like after 6 pages of back and forth, no one is biting so you should give up and move on to greener pasture.

I rather take that than seriously violating patient safety. That's your call man. It seems the majority of pharmacists are on my side. How does it feel to not have anyone back you up?

Who is on your side ? Multiple people have said they now open boxes. Multiple people have shown you evidence and actual documents. How do you reply? The same rhetoric. “Standard of practice” and “no one is on your side”. Its as if you are a man child and it scares me that you were actually in charge of a pharmacy. Your reasoning is worthless as you keep referring to people on this board while we show you hard proof. Well, I am done here folks. I will now transform back to Josh “lmao”

I cant read? I said insulin boxes being opened has been a thing and NOW Medicaid agency will disallow it. Also, it’s not only one plan. You love to make things up.

You do you...everyone here will continue what they're doing. You haven't made a strong enough point to convince anyone yet.