Instagrammed and live-tweeted CI Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
read the article. very cool! i've been to several CI surgeries so far during my 4th year externship. we do intraoperative testing (NRT, NRI, etc) but can stay for the whole surgery if we'd like. it all looks very familiar. except the part at the end where the writer claims it takes 30 minutes. i don't know what he's talking about. i really think it's more like 2 to 4 hours. the mastoidectomy itself could take at least 30 minutes. i'm at a teaching hospital so the residents are performing part of the surgery so i suppose that could alter the duration, but it looks like there are also 2 surgeons in the tweets so i would assume that 1 is also a resident.

Yeah I have seen 2 or 3 and I think it is about 2 hours/side in the ones I've seen with a resident doing most of the work and the neuro-otologist supervising/assisting.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are activating Mrs. Day TOMORROW. That is only 8 days post-op! I tweeted Swedish and apparently this is a fairly regular thing based on how small of an incision the surgeon is able to use. http://bit.ly/RNoQ2c