This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TentativelyHopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the first of my deadlines are approaching, I would just like to get some feedback on some schools.

I got accepted to LUCOM, WVSOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, KYCOM, MUCOM, AND RVUCOM. I still have an interview at KCU and PNWU-COM, but I don't think I can afford the plane tickets to fly out to those interviews.

I am from Ohio, and I'm interested in having as many opportunities open to me as possible, so I would just like some insights into which school I should think more about, and if I should go to the other two interviews. I do have my top two choices in mind, and am going to find it difficult to even choose between those two, so I don't want to overlook any other one.

Any thoughts (that aren't trolling) are very much appreciated!!
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Holy S*** man, nice job with the acceptances. I too have been having some trouble with this too. This PDF is how I approached it.
Side note: Go to KCU. No school has impressed me more. MSU only tops them for me because I am from Michigan.

Attachments

• School Comparisons - Sheet1 (1).pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 484
Reactions: 1 users
Holy S*** man, nice job with the acceptances. I too have been having some trouble with this too. This PDF is how I approached it.
Side note: Go to KCU. No school has impressed me more. MSU only tops them for me because I am from Michigan.
Thank you so much! I'm going to use the pdf to help me choose. Quick question though, did you interview at Joplin? It said I could pick which campus I interview at, but I didn't see the email until after work and only the Joplin spots were left. Does that mean I would be going to the Joplin campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, @Snork you're awesome, it was really nice of you to post that pdf man, I really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I'm going to use the pdf to help me choose. Quick question though, did you interview at Joplin? It said I could pick which campus I interview at, but I didn't see the email until after work and only the Joplin spots were left. Does that mean I would be going to the Joplin campus?
Same thing happened to me, and that's where I went for my interview. That said, the Joplin campus is a wonderful building. A couple notes on it before someone looks too deep into the PDF. The scores are subjective to me, the COMLEX pass rates are averages between the 4 tests, and MSUCOM and ARCOM don't have pass rates out so I had to guess a little. My advice would be to do something similar and rank the scores based on how you feel. Nobody knows better than you.

Reactions: 2 users
We can't help you if you don't post your priorities. Some people like myself care more about location than any other thing. So I'd rank the schools that are in a city or closer to a city higher than the rural ones. Others rank schools based on tuition because all schools will make you a DO, so they'll suggest you go to the cheapest one. In reality, all schools will give you the opportunity to become a DO, but no school no matter their reputation will put you in a competitive speciality, unless you go above and beyond in terms of boards, research and your work ethics.

With that said, out of all your acceptances I'd rank them this way: RVU> MUCOM>CUSOM> the rest.

Hi @Tr1LL, thank you for your response! In terms of my priorities, board scores are incredibly important to me just because I feel like they're indicative that the school is doing something right in terms of their curriculum. I am unsure of what residency I would like to go into (so far it's peds, but again, I want to get a competitive board score to keep my options open), so many rotation sites would be ideal. I'm not sure how to choose between RVU and MUCOM--I can't decide if location is more important to me than scores. I guess I just posted here to ask for advice and additional pro/cons about schools. I'm also looking into cost of living in addition to cost of attendance, which is a big factor for me. Another thing I will note; I loved both Colorado and Indiana, but I was sick the entire time in Colorado from the altitude, so that would be a bit of an adjustment...

Definitely attend KCU. Otherwise, I would go to RVU.

If you apply to Kansas City and Joplin, the application on AACOMAS says you will HAVE to interview at Joplin. Regardless, you'll be considered for both and the deans pick which campus you go to. Some ppl from my Joplin interview got into KC, others to Joplin.

Definitely attend KCU. Otherwise, I would go to RVU.

If you apply to Kansas City and Joplin, the application on AACOMAS says you will HAVE to interview at Joplin. Regardless, you'll be considered for both and the deans pick which campus you go to. Some ppl from my Joplin interview got into KC, others to Joplin.
This wasn't my experience. I interviewed in KC and there were many at my interview day interviewing for both campuses. I think some of them were even accepted to Joplin vs KC. KCUMB was one of my favorite visits. It's in my top three schools with DMU and my state school. I would go if you can swing it.

Why do you rate KCU tuition & living lower than the rest? What thoughts went into this calculation?

This wasn't my experience. I interviewed in KC and there were many at my interview day interviewing for both campuses. I think some of them were even accepted to Joplin vs KC. KCUMB was one of my favorite visits. It's in my top three schools with DMU and my state school. I would go if you can swing it.
What do you think are the key differences between KCU and DMU? I've been accepted to both and can't figure out how to best separate them.

Why do you rate KCU tuition & living lower than the rest? What thoughts went into this calculation?
In comparison to the other schools on the list, it was fairly middle of the road tuition wise. That said cost of living in KC is much higher than a place like Joplin. Also, its a bit of a drive to see family for me so I would probably have to consider a couple flights a year. Nothing super unreasonable, but worth a C in comparison to a place like Joplin where you are spending 100-200 less a month just to live.