Insight on Scribing Time Commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblymimi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to be a part-time medical scribe, but both PhysAssist and ScribeAmerica (the two companies I have looked into so far) have 8-10 hour shifts and don't seem very flexible. Currently I am taking 4 science classes and am in a research lab, with hospital volunteering on weekends and club obligations and such - how possible would it be to fit in the scribe job as well? If not then is there anything that I can do for the next quarters to make it a little more possible? How hard is it to keep up grades and such with the job? How vital is scribing or getting other "official" clinical experience for things like the med school application and just generally getting a feel for the medical field? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate already. It would be a shame to tank your grades over a scribing job. I would wait until you have more time to start scribing.

That said, scribing can be a great clinical opportunity for premeds depending on your site. The ED I work in has incredibly supportive and enthusiastic providers and scribing there has been an invaluable experience for me. I have friends who've worked at different hospitals in my area and totally hated life as a scribe.

Scribing can be great, but don't sacrifice your grades to do it.

I agree. Scribing is an awesome opportunity. I did it for a little over a year (full-time, since I'm non-trad and had already graduated several years before) and I learned so much. I worked with amazing physicians who really went out of their way to teach and mentor me.

I can't speak specifically to PhysAssist or ScribeAmerica since I didn't work with those companies. But in my experience, scribing can be a bit of a scheduling nightmare. In my program, our shifts basically mirrored those of the ED docs we worked with: days, nights, weekends, overnights, and holidays. The program tried its best to accommodate our individual schedules but that just wasn't always possible.

I think scribing is definitely a worthwhile experience that looks good on applications but I do think it might be challenging to balance with coursework. Unless you can find a more flexible program... Are you taking a gap year? It's a great gap year activity.

Getting clinical experience is SUPER important but there are other ways to do it that may work better with your school schedule. Perhaps start by finding some docs you can shadow or by volunteering in a clinic or hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
If scribing is going to negatively impact your grades and MCAT, then it's not worth it. Entry-level clinical jobs have become so commonplace, that they won't set you apart. Yes, scribing can make you look better if you're already a good student, but won't help you if you manage to screw your grades up.

Now I realize that pre-med scribes often have great experiences and learn a lot. I'm not denying these experiences. But if your life goal is to become a physician, then you need not worry, because you will have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to experience these things as a physician!

Clinical volunteering is the way to go. Instead of multiple 8-10 hour shifts, you will work 2-4 hours per week and can often have lots of down time to study or to do other things like shadowing during your shifts (where you can double dip your hours), which would definitely help your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I would really like to be a part-time medical scribe, but both PhysAssist and ScribeAmerica (the two companies I have looked into so far) have 8-10 hour shifts and don't seem very flexible. Currently I am taking 4 science classes and am in a research lab, with hospital volunteering on weekends and club obligations and such

1) - how possible would it be to fit in the scribe job as well?

2) How hard is it to keep up grades and such with the job?

3) How vital is scribing or getting other "official" clinical experience for things like the med school application and just generally getting a feel for the medical field?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

1) Only you can answer this for yourself.
2) Same as 1). All depends on your own abilities, how fast you learn things and need to study and your time management abilities.
3) You need clinical experience to get into medical school, and by that I mean more than shadowing. Scribing is one way to do this.

Planes2Doc hit the key point though, don't look at this as some magical thing that will separate you. It's great experience, a good way to get money, and provide clinical exposure which you need. But if you are worried about time management your MCAT and GPA are far far far more important than any scribing experience for a medical school application. If one has to be compromised, if you want to get into medical school, the scribing is the one that you can get away with not having.

Reactions: 1 user
8-10 hour shifts? And here I am working 12s :p. Scribing is an incredible opportunity to get an insight into clinical medicine, but your plate seems full. I doubt your availability is that great; I'd wait until your schedule lightens up a bit. Usually, they want at least 24 hours/week of availability.

Reactions: 1 user