inquring about 4th year derm rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS II with some time off for vacation before the long haul of Step I studying begins.

I am from overseas, and I was wondering since I am spending my time off in a place where I would like to do my rotations (in the states) if it would be wise to check out some of the programs and hospitals and set up some times with whoever is in charge of electives at each hospital.

I was hoping to get an overview of each rotation and maybe shmooze it up with whoever is in charge.

is this a good idea or totally stupid, and if it is a good idea, w/o being negative (i.e. no youre a US-IMG you dont stand a chance) what would be the best way of going about doing this

thanks for the advice

congrats to those who matched

izzy

Members don't see this ad.

Being proactive in this game of matching derm, which it sounds like you are, is essential to keep up with your other colleagues who will be applying.

It is unlikely that a chairman or PD, let alone resident, will walk a 2nd/3rd year med student through the intracacies of a rotation in their department (especially when they are not even scheduled yet). This does not equate to hopelessness, however.

What I would recommend is to investigate some programs that you are interested in rotating through during 4th year. As you are overseas and not affiliated with a program in the U.S. I would look for larger programs who have a track record of taking students outside of their own institution. Introduce yourself as a capable and willing student who is interested specifically in that program and that you would like to take up a project during your 3rd year of med school. You may be very busy during your 3rd year but if you are given a project (case report, data analysis of old papers that faculty do not have time for, etc.) that you can eventually publish and show them that you do excellent work this will put you in better standing when you rotate with them 4th year.

When I was a 3rd and 4th year student rotating through various derm programs I foolishly thought that I was the ****. On the interview trail I saw that my supposedly stellar accomplishments, honors, research, and publications were only the norm among my peers. Making yourself stand-out in a way that isn't irritaing is essential.

Now as a resident, I see how many of the students blend together and very few stand out. Make yourself known, make yourself likeable, and make yourself to be the best student a program has seen in a long time. If the residents see it they will talk. If the faculty doesn't see it, they will certainly hear about it through the residents.

Hope that's a start.

thats some great advice, i really appreciate it
so ask for a project eh?

hmmmm

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on that, since I am only going to be around for 12 days

and also i am in the middle of publishing a research article in the JAAD as first author, and also studying for the boards

thanks again :D
izzy