Inquiry from New York Times journalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think the OP cares what we think about ECT, they were specifically asking about the experiences of docs who have recently set up ECT programs. People are getting all weird in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think the OP cares what we think about ECT, they were specifically asking about the experiences of docs who have recently set up ECT programs. People are getting all weird in this thread.
Yep. Let's also not ignore the second sentence:

I'm a science editor at the New York Times, working on research for a story about ECT. Given the robust evidence base for the treatment, I'm trying to better understand why ECT use in the United States has been declining over the past couple of decades.

Reactions: 5 users
Yep. Let's also not ignore the second sentence:

I'm a science editor at the New York Times, working on research for a story about ECT. Given the robust evidence base for the treatment, I'm trying to better understand why ECT use in the United States has been declining over the past couple of decades.

That's just what they want you to think! Lure you in with a false sense of security before throwing you into jail for thought crimes!

/s

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TLP just released a book (and still has his academic appointment as far as I know) and Scott Alexander is earning mid 6 figures from his Substack. I don't begrudge either of them their success but these folks were hardly destroyed by the experience.
Intentionally trying to derail the thread but also interested specifically in this -- I'm not finding info on a book when I google his name + book. Mind linking (or PMing if you prefer)?

Intentionally trying to derail the thread but also interested specifically in this -- I'm not finding info on a book when I google his name + book. Mind linking (or PMing if you prefer)?
Written under another pseudonym, Edward Teach, real name of Blackbeard the pirate, but seems like people know it's him:

Amazon product

Reactions: 1 users
I'm surprised he actually wrote it on that topic as he always said he was. Worth the read so far? I always liked his other stuff on TLP blog.

Yeah he has a preface where he says he only finally got around to writing it because of covid. If you liked TLP you will almost certainly like this as well. I would say the three main differences are 1) doesn't mention narcissism more than once 2) a lot more classical and 19th century literature and 3) his psychoanalytic roots show more, though he does explicitly come out and say psychoanalysis is a defense against change for most people.

Reactions: 2 users