Inquiring about waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TB12GOAT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been wait-listed at two programs now and have received very little information regarding the status of admissions. This whole waiting game seems to be taking forever (even though it's only been a couple of months).

What do you guys think about reaching out to a program and inquiring as to where they are in their admissions process and trying to gain information about where you stand on the wait-list and your potential chance of acceptance? I have considered attempting this but didn't know if it would be beneficial or just cause the schools to put "annoying" next to my name.

If you were to reach out, do you think a phone call or an email to admissions would be best?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an email tonight saying that I was placed on a waitlist, nothing about the position. I sent an email to the admissions chair, and she didn't sound annoyed whatsoever when she replied. Honestly, it doesn't hurt to try emailing them. The worst they can say is no!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on the school. At one of my interview orientations they actually said "If you are waitlisted and call us asking about your position we will put you at the bottom" lol but if you've been waiting a long time and need an answer soon I think it makes sense to find out what your status is. I'm sure most schools understand how stressful it is especially if they didn't give you a lot of info about their waitlist process

Reactions: 1 user